Traveling

Chichi606

You may transport a handgun THROUGH NYS provided the gun is unloaded, locked, you have your home state license or FOID and your trip THROUGH the state is uninterrupted. You cannot stay in NYS while in possession of your handgun.

The only exemption in NYS law (S265.20 of the penal law) allows someone to remain in NYS with a handgun for the purposes of exhibition or training, provided you have a copy of your home state license or FOID, a copy of registration / confirmation documents for the event, training or competition and transfer it unloaded and unlocked. You may enter and leave within 48 hours of such event.

And we thought things were tough in Illinois which is likely where your gun should stay while you travel to New York.

The quote above is from USACarry

You may transport a handgun THROUGH NYS provided the gun is unloaded, locked, you have your home state license or FOID and your trip THROUGH the state is uninterrupted. You cannot stay in NYS while in possession of your handgun.

The only exemption in NYS law (S265.20 of the penal law) allows someone to remain in NYS with a handgun for the purposes of exhibition or training, provided you have a copy of your home state license or FOID, a copy of registration / confirmation documents for the event, training or competition and transfer it unloaded and unlocked. You may enter and leave within 48 hours of such event.

And we thought things were tough in Illinois which is likely where your gun should stay while you travel to New York.

The quote above is from USACarry

Lets just hope that the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 gets passed while Trump is in office. It is something he promised us...

I'm traveling from Chicago to New York, I was wondering if I can take my guy I have my ICC even if I just leave it in my glove box. Thanks

This is a joke, right? Bring your gun to NY if you want to end up in the big house. As much as Illinois sucks, gun laws (anyway) are way better here than NY, MA, MD, HI, CA, DC...You don't need a permit to purchase every gun here, no registration and shall issue in IL. Our state still sucks compared to 40+ states in 2A rights, but not NY.

And YES! we all agree that the insane rules in NJ and NY make Illinois seem like Texas as regards gun freedom.

The saddest line I've seen posted in a while? "Thanks guys I am leaving my gun at home for this trip"

Come on National Reciprocity! No one should have to leave the ability for a means of self-protection at home.

OP, if you are driving, you could find a firearms dealer in Erie PA that will clean your handgun. Leave it there while you're in NY and pick it up on the way back to Chicago.

I was just going to suggest the same thing. Just make sure you'll be in PA during operating hours of the dealer you're planning to stop at. If you get there at midnight, you could be out of luck. I'd also call them ahead of time to make sure they're all cool with it.

I also hear that if you have a CCL from Illinois, you can get a PA carry license by simply showing your IL permit at any police station and paying a nominal fee. Probably worth it if it's really that easy.

Unfortunately, NY, NJ (and sometimes MD) are notorious for finding a law-abiding citizen and entirely destroying their life for some minor misunderstanding of the law. They thrive on ruining the lives of gun owners (e.g. felony, prison, etc...) And FOPA (which is what everyone uses for transiting gun-hating states) doesn't help you if your destination is in NY. There is pretty much no way to legally transport your firearm. :( https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

The only way this will ever be solved is if National Reciprocity passes. The states which hate gun owners purposely do everything in their power to make it impossible to follow the law.

Sometimes the reason is family over the anti politicians in NY. I have gone to NY state to visit my oldest Grandson at West Point the last two years. Felt naked without my weapon on my hip. We stay in the small towns near the school and don't even think of going to NYC. I do like the suggestion of leaving my firearm at a gunsmith in PA for a "cleaning".

Sometimes the reason is family over the anti politicians in NY. I have gone to NY state to visit my oldest Grandson at West Point the last two years. Felt naked without my weapon on my hip. We stay in the small towns near the school and don't even think of going to NYC. I do like the suggestion of leaving my firearm at a gunsmith in PA for a "cleaning".

NYC is safer than Chicago...so there's that. But you can carry in Chicago. I hope Rahm is reading this. Burns him up.

Archived