I found another Instructor using my Curriculum

I found another Instuctor is using my booklet that I created to teach my Curriculum.

He has made copies from my original for the students. He then reads straight out of my booklet to the class.

The problem, other then he took my work, is he is telling the students misinformation.

I will be approaching him and the shop where he is teaching at to stop what they are doing.

I understand that I can let other Instuctors the right to use my work to build their own or to work under me.

But what can I do to stop them from using it. Again the thing that pisses me off the most is the out and out mistakes and lies he imparts to the students.

Hope to hear back from a few of you.

If your materials can be protected by copyright, then they were protected by copyright the minute that you created them. You have to register that copyright to be able to sue someone for taking and using your copyrighted material. You can register the copyright yourself online with the US copyright office but you may want to talk to an experienced copyright lawyer to determine whether the materials are eligible for copyright protection. If eligible, then you can stop the person from using your work. If not, then there is probably nothing that you can do in my experience.

What is he approved to teach by the ISP. Look him up and see. You might want to give the ISP a call and inform them to see where you stand.
ISP approves instructors and curricula. They do not approve instructors for specific curricula. It is unethical for an instructor to use another instructor's curriculum without that instructor's permission, but that has nothing to do with what the instructor is approved by ISP to teach.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What is he approved to teach by the ISP. Look him up and see. You might want to give the ISP a call and inform them to see where you stand.

ISP approves instructors and curricula. They do not approve instructors for specific curricula. It is unethical for an instructor to use another instructor's curriculum without that instructor's permission, but that has nothing to do with what the instructor is approved by ISP to teach.

Yes, I get that, but I wasn't sure if ISP could help or not in this situation. As Terry has said, he is also not giving out accurate and correct information.

But on the other hand, what curriculum is this person approved for? The point is to see if the curriculum he is approved for is what he is actually using, or did he switch mid stream and start using Terry's. Doesn't hurt to look.

Yes, I get that, but I wasn't sure if ISP could help or not in this situation. As Terry has said, he is also not giving out accurate and correct information.

But on the other hand, what curriculum is this person approved for? The point is to see if the curriculum he is approved for is what he is actually using, or did he switch mid stream and start using Terry's. Doesn't hurt to look.

Again, ISP shows which instructor or company submitted a curricula for approval, but it does not restrict instructors only to those curricula. instructors teaching incorrect or bad information is a whole different issue, and its own violation of the FCCA. An instructor using another instructors curriculum without his permission is unethical and as state above a copyright violation, but that does not involve what curricula the yare "approved for." The curriculum is submitted by an instructor. The curriculum is approved. The instructor is approved. The curriculum is not approved for an instructor.

If your materials can be protected by copyright, then they were protected by copyright the minute that you created them. You have to register that copyright to be able to sue someone for taking and using your copyrighted material. You can register the copyright yourself online with the US copyright office but you may want to talk to an experienced copyright lawyer to determine whether the materials are eligible for copyright protection. If eligible, then you can stop the person from using your work. If not, then there is probably nothing that you can do in my experience.

At this point, it may be difficult to establish who was the original creator and first user of the material. I know one trick freelance writers use is to USPS a copy of their work to themselves for the postmark and not open the envelope until/unless there is a suit. It's cheesy enough I'd expect it not to work in a real suit, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

If the instructor's students complained about getting inaccurate info in his class, it may be that ISP might look into it. It is my understanding that ISP does not respond to complaints about instructors from other instructors.

As to the unauthorized use of the class materials, perhaps a cease and desist letter asserting copyright?

It's not copyrighted, it is just my work product. It wouldn't be so bad, but he is telling the students the wrong things

So copyright it. It is as simple as adding © 2014 [insert your company's name] (or the date you first came up with) to the instruction material pages.

Then write a cease and desist letter to the instructor.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived