The time for renewing IL Concealed Carry Licenses will be here before we know it. The course requirements are listed in the statute and on the ISP web page. New information may become available from the ISP and IllinoisCarry will make every effort to update this post at that time.
3-HOUR RENEWAL CURRICULUM
Renewal Firearm Curriculum must be at least 3 hours and include:
1. All applicable State and Federal laws relating to the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a
firearm; 2 hours Classroom Recommended
a. The Act relating to the ownership, storage, carry and transportation of a firearm
1) with emphasis on 430 ILCS 66/10(h) which includes instruction on the appropriate and lawful
interaction with law enforcement while transporting or carrying a concealed firearm.
2) with emphasis on 430 ILCS 66/65 which includes instruction on prohibited areas and the parking
b. The FOID Act 430 ILCS 65/1 et. seq.
c. Relevant portions of the ILCS including but not limited to
1) 720 ILCS 5/7-1. Use of force in defense of a person**
2) 720 ILCS 5/7-2. Use of force in defense of dwelling**
3) 720 ILCS 5/7-3. Use of force in defense of other property**
4) 720 ILCS 24/1 et. seq. Unlawful Use of Weapons**
** Must define dwelling, aggressor, forcible felony and unlawful use of weapons pursuant to the ILCS.
2. Weapon Handling; 1 hour Range Recommended
a. Handgun fundamentals
b. Handgun concealment
c. Live fire qualification instruction
d. Live fire qualification with a concealable firearm consisting of minimum of 30 rounds which must
include 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards; 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards; and 10 rounds
from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the Illinois State Police. (See