Photo

CCL Three-Hour Renewal Course Requirements

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 15,467 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

The time for renewing IL Concealed Carry Licenses will be here before we know it.  The course requirements are listed in the statute and on the ISP web page. New information may become available from the ISP and IllinoisCarry will make every effort to update this post at that time.

3-HOUR RENEWAL CURRICULUM
Renewal Firearm Curriculum must be at least 3 hours and include:
1.    All  applicable  State  and  Federal  laws  relating  to  the  ownership,  storage,  carry,  and  transportation  of  a  
firearm; 2 hours Classroom Recommended

a. The Act relating to the ownership, storage, carry and transportation of a firearm
           1) with emphasis on 430 ILCS 66/10(h) which includes instruction on the appropriate and lawful
            interaction with law enforcement while transporting or carrying a concealed firearm.
           2) with emphasis on 430 ILCS 66/65 which includes instruction on prohibited areas and the parking
          lot exception.
    b.  The FOID Act 430 ILCS 65/1 et. seq.
    c.  Relevant portions of the ILCS including but not limited to
1) 720 ILCS 5/7-1. Use of force in defense of a person**
2) 720 ILCS 5/7-2. Use of force in defense of dwelling**
3) 720 ILCS 5/7-3. Use of force in defense of other property**
4) 720 ILCS 24/1 et. seq. Unlawful Use of Weapons**
** Must define dwelling, aggressor, forcible felony and unlawful use of weapons pursuant to the ILCS.

2.   Weapon Handling; 1 hour Range Recommended
    a.  Handgun fundamentals

b.  Handgun concealment

c.  Live fire qualification instruction
    d.      Live fire qualification with a concealable firearm consisting of minimum of 30 rounds which must
include 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards; 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards; and 10 rounds
from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the Illinois State Police. (See
www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm)

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 Hipshot Percussion

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Any other info like - 

1. How much in advance can we take our refresher course and does the certificate expire at any particular time?
  2. How far in advance should we send in for our renewel?
  3. Will our renewal date for the license run consecutively with the old one? Or will it start with the renewal? (Like, if I send it in 60 days before my expiration, will the new license use the new date if earlier? or the old date, so we don't lose any time.
  4. Will it be a background check and done? Or will it be the complete process again - Fed, ISP and local ability to object?  This could be a real problem for Cook County people, in terms of giving the County a second shot at them.

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#3 Molly B.

• 15,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

Today, CCL instructors received the new certificate templates for the 3-hr renewal course and the regular 8/16 hrs. CCL course, along with instructor responsibilities packet, suggested roster, and suggested verification of prior training form.

If you are an instructor and did not receive the packet and templates, you should email the ISP instructor department and request the documents:

Instructor_Docs@isp.state.il.us

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#4 semper1911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

Thank you, have not got it yet, will email them.

#5 Molly B.

• 15,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

Any other info like - 

1. How much in advance can we take our refresher course and does the certificate expire at any particular time?
  3. Will our renewal date for the license run consecutively with the old one? Or will it start with the renewal? (Like, if I send it in 60 days before my expiration, will the new license use the new date if earlier? or the old date, so we don't lose any time.
  4. Will it be a background check and done? Or will it be the complete process again - Fed, ISP and local ability to object?  This could be a real problem for Cook County people, in terms of giving the County a second shot at them.

1. There is no rule on expiration of training. A new certificate was just issued to instructors so it should not expire any time soon either.

2. The renewal option on your CCL dashboard site will dictate this. IWe don't know yet when it will become active.

3. No idea - what do they do for the FOID? Does it renew from expiration date or renewal date?

4. I would bet it will be the full background check with window open to file objections, in case incidents have happened since the original application.  Yes, it could be a problem for Cook County residents.  We have discussed this with the ISP and Review Board counsel.

#6 STR8*SHOT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

CLIC PROGRAM available for the three hour re-certification? Hope so. Plz Advz Thnx Jerry

#7 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

OMG, I expected this to take til the end of the year. VERY NICE.

I have one question. After July 1, 2018 they will no longer accept the old version of the 16 hour certificate. What happens if a student that has taken the class and has an old version of the certificate but doesn't apply until after July 1, 2018.

Will the ISP accept the old certificate or are we going to have to issue a new certificate with the original class date on it.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#8 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

yYou get a background check everyday when you have a FOID and or CCL they run a background check every day.

Edited by John Q Public, 01 May 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#9 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

yYou get a background check everyday when you have a FOID and or CCL they run a background check every day.

CCL also runs quarterly Federal checks.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#10 Molly B.

• 15,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

CLIC PROGRAM available for the three hour re-certification? Hope so. Plz Advz Thnx Jerry

CLIC curriculum is approved for the 3-hr. renewal course.

#11 Hipshot Percussion

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Any other info like - 

1. There is no rule on expiration of training. A new certificate was just issued to instructors so it should not expire any time soon either.

2. The renewal option on your CCL dashboard site will dictate this. IWe don't know yet when it will become active.

3. No idea - what do they do for the FOID? Does it renew from expiration date or renewal date?

4. I would bet it will be the full background check with window open to file objections, in case incidents have happened since the original application.  Yes, it could be a problem for Cook County residents.  We have discussed this with the ISP and Review Board counsel.

Thanks, Molly.

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#12 howie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

Once again, ISP has left me out in the cold.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here.  E-mail sent.  Thanks Molly.  If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't have a clue what's going on.  I've received one E-mail from ISP since I became an instructor.  Anyone else having similar issues?

NRA Patron Member
ISRA Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/PPITH Instructor
ISP Approved CCW Instructor

www.boondocktactical.com

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

"I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers. I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny."- Patrick Henry

#13 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Once again, ISP has left me out in the cold.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here.  E-mail sent.  Thanks Molly.  If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't have a clue what's going on.  I've received one E-mail from ISP since I became an instructor.  Anyone else having similar issues?

Check your Spam folder. I have had some emails go to Spam when they shouldn't have.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#14 howie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

Check your Spam folder. I have had some emails go to Spam when they shouldn't have.

Nothing there, either.

NRA Patron Member
ISRA Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/PPITH Instructor
ISP Approved CCW Instructor

www.boondocktactical.com

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

"I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers. I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny."- Patrick Henry

#15 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Nothing there, either.

Well I tried.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#16 RacerDave6

• 3,388 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

I didn't get it either.
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#17 STR8*SHOT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

Plz let me rephrase. Will Illinois Carry have a CLIC power point presentation for the re-cert?

#18 Molly B.

• 15,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Plz let me rephrase. Will Illinois Carry have a CLIC power point presentation for the re-cert?

At this point, it looks like it will be the same. . .

#19 Buff1968

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

RE: Renewal dates. My FOID card renewal date is from the issued date not from the expires date on the old card. So I got shorted approx. 3 months on my renewal. Also, what is a good email address to get a response from ISP on FOID renewal? My new card was issued 4/23 and I have not received it yet.

#20 Molly B.

• 15,467 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

RE: Renewal dates. My FOID card renewal date is from the issued date not from the expires date on the old card. So I got shorted approx. 3 months on my renewal. Also, what is a good email address to get a response from ISP on FOID renewal? My new card was issued 4/23 and I have not received it yet.

try: askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us

#21 mjw45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

I just checked with the ISP and my curriculum is only good for 8/16hr training.

So I am off to get my 3hr curriculum application notarized.

All Instructors should probably check with the ISP what their curriculum is approved for.

Just email-

with your curriculum number for them to check.

Matt

Molly B. - or check the approved curriculum list posted on the ISP website..

Edited by Molly B., 03 May 2018 - 12:52 PM.

Matt Wehland
Allguntraining.com NRA Firearms Instruction
Kankakee and Will County

#22 Craigcelia

• 2,252 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Or check this list (for the curriculum)

https://ispfsb.com/P...riculumList.pdf

Edited by Craigcelia, 03 May 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#23 InterestedBystander

• 5,343 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

I just checked with the ISP and my curriculum is only good for 8/16hr training.
So I am off to get my 3hr curriculum application notarized.

All Instructors should probably check with the ISP what their curriculum is approved for.
Just email-

with your curriculum number for them to check.

Matt

While a few months old, there is also a November report on the ISP web site https://ispfsb.com/P...riculumList.pdf

edit: beat by Craig while I was finding report URL

Edited by InterestedBystander, 03 May 2018 - 12:12 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#24 aka

• 1,023 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

Today, CCL instructors received the new certificate templates for the 3-hr renewal course and the regular 8/16 hrs. CCL course, along with instructor responsibilities packet, suggested roster, and suggested verification of prior training form.

If you are an instructor and did not receive the packet and templates, you should email the ISP instructor department and request the documents:

ISP sent out corrected / updated forms for the 3 hours and 16 hour on May 2nd. The original forms were sent on May 1st. if you did not receive the corrected forms please let ISP know, 

Molly - do you have any information about CCL Renewals for instructors?

Thanks. 

Thank you

AKA

--------------------------------
IL CCW License Instructor
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Member
Glock Armorer

#25 Molly B.

• 15,467 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

ISP sent out corrected / updated forms for the 3 hours and 16 hour on May 2nd. The original forms were sent on May 1st. if you did not receive the corrected forms please let ISP know, 

Molly - do you have any information about CCL Renewals for instructors?

Thanks. 

I am assuming there will be a box to select exemption from the training requirement and a place to upload teaching credentials instead of a CCL training certificate. I am also assuming the option to renew will appear about 90 days before expiration - since our fingerprints are already on file.

It would be nice if the ISP would send out a notice to instructors. We'll see how this plays out.

#26 Hatchet

• 2,795 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

So if we didn't submit finger prints the first time around, do we have to this time or is it still optional? I remember this being discussed after the law passed but can't find it now.

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#27 InterestedBystander

• 5,343 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

So if we didn't submit finger prints the first time around, do we have to this time or is it still optional? I remember this being discussed after the law passed but can't find it now.

Still optional. Mandatory prints bill has not passed...not even sure if it got to or out of committee.

edit HB4700 and HB4168 never made it to committee

Edited by InterestedBystander, 07 May 2018 - 11:51 AM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#28 RobR369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

Has anyone heard about what the instructors will be charging for the refresher courses?

#29 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

Has anyone heard about what the instructors will be charging for the refresher courses?

Looks like from $50 to $75 is what I see out there. 

#30 Craigcelia

• 2,252 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

To each his or her own, but we are charging $50 per person, no range fees, and already have classes posted in Morris.

http://www.safegunpe...m/services.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users