Williamson County sheriff hosts sessions

MGF

Not training for the cert, but thought some people might like to see this. Comes from the Williamson County Sheriff's Department:

12/03/13

Williamson County Sheriff Bennie Vick would like to announce the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office will be offering instruction on several legal issues related to Illinois’ new Concealed Carry law.

These training sessions will be open to the public. There is no cost to attend, but pre-registration is required. Each class will be limited to 50 people. The first session will be held on Tuesday, December 10th at 6:30 P.M. at the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office. Contact Jennifer Wilkins at 997-6541 ext. 1302 to pre-register.

A second session will be held Tuesday, January 7, 2014. Additional sessions will be scheduled, depending on demand.

The instructor for these training sessions will be Attorney Daniel Kay. Though currently operating his private practice, Danny spent almost fourteen years as a Criminal Prosecutor with the Illinois Office of the Attorney General. Danny also recently retired from the JAG corp of the United States Army (Reserve) as a Major. Danny’s responsibilities have included prosecuting several homicide cases.

These sessions will cover the legal requirements for those who possess a Concealed Carry permit, and will also cover details and case-law concerning self-defense.

These sessions will not meet training requirements to apply for a concealed carry permit.

“Concealed Carry permit holders will receive some information on the legal requirements of the permit and on self-defense as part of their required training. We want to go beyond those minimum requirements to make sure our residents have the information they want and need,” says Sheriff Vick.

With the phone numbers, does anyone have an area code and an address for the Williamson County Sheriffs office? That information would be most helpful to those who would like to attend.

Only thing I heard that made me think twice was the lawyer putting it on says that ALL places have to post or they are not restricted. He was talking about schools, hospitals, sporting events, etc. He said if they aren't posted you are good to carry there. That is not the way I had thought. Any comments?

Vern

I'd err toward the side of caution re that Q, but I think I'd like to attend.

If can get 'em to kick me loose from the office for a few extra hours, I'm going to sneak over to Marion if Bennie has room for non-Williamson folk.

Don't know the sheriff, but all the guys I know from the LEO and NRA worlds say he's a straight-up good guy.

I knew there was something else but I could not think of the safe harbor deal. If I remember he insisted it had to be in a closed case inside a Locked car. No open jeeps, dune buggies, convertibles, or motorcycles to name a few. I thought a locked secured case was ok.

locked case OR locked vehicle Is my understanding.

I thought I heard him say UNLOADED and cased.. I wrote him a note about it. The way it has to be done now is stupid enough. But to unload if you are leaving it in the car? Even stupider.

It does say to unload before you get out to put in trunk doesn't it

Yes, if you want to stow it away in the trunk it has to be unloaded before you exit the vehicle with it. But if you're going to put it in a bio-vault or other case in the passenger compartment (concealed and out of plain view) I don't think it has to be unloaded. The vehicle or the case has to be locked, though, and it has to be stored out of plain view. At least that's how I read it since the only mention of "unloading" is the requirement that you do not exit the vehicle with it still loaded.

Edited to add: I don't think the vehicle has to be locked if it is in a locked case but a person would be pretty stupid not to lock the vehicle up tighter than a drum if you were leaving your gun in there, or anything as valuable as a firearm.

It does say to unload before you get out to put in trunk doesn't it

Yes, if you want to stow it away in the trunk it has to be unloaded before you exit the vehicle with it. But if you're going to put it in a bio-vault or other case in the passenger compartment (concealed and out of plain view) I don't think it has to be unloaded. The vehicle or the case has to be locked, though, and it has to be stored out of plain view. At least that's how I read it since the only mention of "unloading" is the requirement that you do not exit the vehicle with it still loaded.

Edited to add: I don't think the vehicle has to be locked if it is in a locked case but a person would be pretty stupid not to lock the vehicle up tighter than a drum if you were leaving your gun in there, or anything as valuable as a firearm.

Plus, for open vehicles like Jeeps, etc, you have to have a way to lock it up since the vehicle isn't lockable.

Archived