Army Corps of Engineers

papa

What is Army Corps of Engineers managed land? I'm not familiar with it.

The land and campgrounds surrounding the lakes made by the dams Corps of Engineers have built. In Southern Illinois that would be Rend Lake and Carlyle Lake.

Ah ok. Never been to Southern IL so I wouldn't have been there. Any other spots like that up North?

What is Army Corps of Engineers managed land? I'm not familiar with it.

The land and campgrounds surrounding the lakes made by the dams Corps of Engineers have built. In Southern Illinois that would be Rend Lake and Carlyle Lake.

Ah ok. Never been to Southern IL so I wouldn't have been there. Any other spots like that up North?

Google Corps of Engineers in IL. Some pools on the Mississippi, a spot or two on the Illinois and also the Ohio.

Hoping this happens sooner than later.

AB

Nice! I imagine their willingness to reconsider stems from the change of administration from "hater-of-all-freedoms" Obama. This would be a good one to change. The "no firearms" policy is not that well known and COE land is sometimes unclear. I would imagine a large number of people unwittingly break federal law on a daily basis on this one, and the law has no good reason.

I hope the DoD will change their policy at military bases soon as well. My brother is a reservist and a CCL holder. There's no reason I can think of why he shouldn't be allowed to carry on base. The "security" at the base is ridiculously thin. It consists of an unarmed enlisted person at the gate checking IDs. They're not even MPs. If something happens, they call 911. I'm not joking.

I hope the DoD will change their policy at military bases soon as well. My brother is a reservist and a CCL holder. There's no reason I can think of why he shouldn't be allowed to carry on base. The "security" at the base is ridiculously thin. It consists of an unarmed enlisted person at the gate checking IDs. They're not even MPs. If something happens, they call 911. I'm not joking.

I thought this was already, "Taken care of", but still left up to the Base CO.

I thought this was already, "Taken care of", but still left up to the Base CO.

In theory, yes--the DoD Instruction now allows it, with permission. In practice, not at all. I don't know of a single installation that currently allows concealed carry of personal firearms on the installation by your average military member, despite issuing of the policy in Nov 2016.

The LEOSA program is alive and well on some installations, but most members don't meet the LEOSA credential requirements.

The national scope of Army Corps of Engineers land is immense.

From the Spring 2017 issue of The Illinois Shooter, published by ISRA, at page 14:

"......the Corps area of jurisdiction covers 12 million acres, 55,000 miles of shoreline, 4,500 miles of trails, 90,000 campsites, and 3,400 boat launch ramps. It controls 33 percent of all U.S. freshwater fishing."

Archived