Does CHL Ban in Churches Violate Ist Amendment

junglebob

I came across an article on DaveKopel.com about this subject. My pastor is going to a ministers conference in Louisiana next month and has a Pa LTC. He can carry in La with his Pa LTC except churches are a "criminal protection zone" in Louisiana.

Here is some of what Dave Kopel has to say on the subject-

A complete ban on CHL at churches, even at churches which strongly desire licensed carry on their premises, does burden free excercise. churches, by their very nature as religious institutions are more likely to be targety of attacks by persons motgivated by religious hatred. If the law prevents congregations from protecting themselves, then the state government is making church-goers defenseless precisely at the time when they are especially likely to be attacked by a criminal acting out of religious hatred.

The CHL ban violates the Establishment Clause because it favors some denominations over others. In effect, the statute privileges pacifist denominations over non-pacifist ones, by forcing non-pacifist religions to obey pacifist standards of conduct in their houses of worship. It plainly creats the message that the pacifist way of being is the only way of being which the state will allow in any church, anywhere in the boundaries of the state.

I'm sure some will agree that this is considered seperation of church and state but!!!!!it doesn't matter where innocent people are today, schools, churches, weddings or sitting on their own front porch, it's a matter of self defense....IMO.

I think the best way to look at it is from the private property perspective. If i as a property owner, i.e. the church, allow the activity, which in and of it self is not illegal -- compared to use of drugs, sex with small children and such, who is the state to ban my allowing people to carry or possess a firearm on my property?

I think the best way to look at it is from the private property perspective. If i as a property owner, i.e. the church, allow the activity, which in and of it self is not illegal -- compared to use of drugs, sex with small children and such, who is the state to ban my allowing people to carry or possess a firearm on my property?

Just a note to folks from Illinois with a non-resident LTC. Churches in Missouri and Arkansas are criminal protection zones, I know they are in other states as well but of the surrounding states with LTC they are the only ones I know of. In Ohio you need permission from the church. In Michigan you need permission from the "presiding official" but of course Michigan doesn't recognize non-resident LTC.

It seems to me that Missouri and Arkansas laws put their pastors in more peril than my pastor here in Illinois. I assume they would be breaking the law to have a firearm in their church office for self defense.

Breaktime!!!! for church and firearms trivia. Finger on the buzzer now............

What british regiment was the only regiment allowed by the Church of Scotland to bring their weapons inside the church, loaded or unloaded, didn't matter?

Hint: they 'were' the only scots regiment to use black buttons.

PZZZZT!!! Times up:

The guy on the left was a good mate of mine. Jimmy Cleland, a bonified Glasgow lad. When the Cameronians were disbanded he was the regiment's bugler and his mate was a pipe major. Jimmy went into the Royal Artillery because he wanted to go to Hong Kong. His buddy went into the Gordons. I first met Jimmy while on manuevers in Germany, my 8inch FA battery was paired with his for a week. He eventually retired but being a Glaswegian Scot, he drank himself to death. The picture was taken on Disbandment day.

http://i56.tinypic.com/vgh0gl.jpg

http://www.cameronians.org/brief-history/index.html

Archived