Some experts claim you should use 25 acp and 32 acp in FMJ for self defense

Have you thoroughly read through and watched the videos at

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I believe this will give you better data on a lot of your questions. 25 and 32acp are pretty irrelevant these days since all the guns still in production chambered in them are also available in 380acp.

They test expansion in 380 in the above link.

I carry a .32 ACP on occasion and really like the Buffalo Bore 75 grain hard cast, flat nose lead.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001520373/buffalo-bore-ammunition-32-acp-p-75-grain-hard-cast-lead-flat-nose-box-of-20

It *will* over penetrate. I run a custom Colt 1903 in .32 ACP and have had no problems with feeding or whatever with my guns - I have 3 of them. I used to own Beretta Cheetahs (81's and 82's) as well as Walther PP and PPK's in .32. I have also interviewed people who have been shot with .32 ACP as well as old cops who shot folks/defended themselves with .32 ACP. While not ideal (handguns suck at stopping perpetrators be they .45 or .22) people who feel that they are not adequate for SD have never owned or used them.

The only guy I saw killed was killed DRT (dead right there) in a parking lot robbery turned shooting and the criminal was killed by a Raven .25 and 3X to the upper chest. D.R.T. with a .25 acp. Placement and penetration are the two critical relevant parameters and the .32 has plenty of penetration and it's low recoil permits very fast and accurate follow ups.

VooDoo

While bigger is better, it's an interesting question. I imagine there are some potential users who may not be able to handle even a .380 pistol (I just bought my first one and have yet to shoot it).

In the realm of "the best gun is the one you carry"... over the years, have there been similar advancements in .32 and .25 cartridge/bullet technology as there have been in larger calibers?

If you carry a pocket mouse gun some experts claim you should use 25 acp and 32 acp in FMJ rounds for self defense since the penetration of such weak rounds is minimal. They claim that hollow points won't even expand in these size bullets. What do you carry in your mouse guns?

Maybe if we had a FEW links to these “ experts “ you talk about in each thread.

Some would like to get a better handle on what it is thats being read and how its context joins our posts.

Thanks

Some experts also claim that we should take the time to educate ourselves, gain personal experience and form our own opinions before quoting them anonymously on internet forums.

It is also 'possible' that "Some experts claim....." is internet forum speak for - "I think I remember once reading someplace that....."

Just sayin' - lol

If you carry a pocket mouse gun some experts claim you should use 25 acp and 32 acp in FMJ rounds for self defense since the penetration of such weak rounds is minimal. They claim that hollow points won't even expand in these size bullets. What do you carry in your mouse guns?

I have a couple of .25's and when carried they are loaded with FMJ's for the reason you mentioned. I guess I read the same expert advice but it's been so long ago that I have no idea of where to find the link (sorry Bubbacs, can't help you there). I don't own a .32 but if I did, I'd probably load it with hollow points.

Someone totally 'hopped up' on drugs could require a couple rounds from an elephant gun to be brought down. I happily 'play the odds' and carry a .380 or larger handgun. The 'odds' suggest first that I will never need it, then never need to do anything beyond displaying it, then never need to fire it more than once, and then only after that need to fret over how many rounds I have left.

I DO always carry a spare mag or speed loader though.

May we all NEVER have to find out the ramifications of actually wounding or killing another human being.

Courtesy of Greg Ellifritz....

Screen-Shot-2015-01-12-at-9.04.10-PM.png

When it comes to caliber and power and all that there is not enough difference between handgun rounds to matter if one has placement and penetration. Where the round goes and how deeply it penetrates are the only relevant factors. Lots of experts disagree and the caliber wars will go on forever. Carry what you like and are proficient with and learn to hit critical targets on the human body and follow up until the attacker is incapacitated.

VooDoo

Paul Harrell just did a video on .25 hollow points:

https://youtu.be/wJ4KlRVa0h8

For my first year, I carried a S&W Compact 22lr and didn't feel like I was under powered. I just Recently upgraded to the S&W 380 EZ.

I think for a lot of these studies we see about stopping power and incapacitation, we are missing way to many details about the guns used.

Huge difference between my Compact 22 with a 3.6 inch barrel and the Bobcat with a 2.4 inch barrel.

Put rounds on target.

I know for me my primary carry is a .380 with Underwood. I have a .25 jetfire as a bug. However on Sundays with the 380 tucked in and the coat on it is much faster to for me to draw the .25 from the coat pocket. Both for me can be fired pretty rapidly imo. And with decent accuracy. For the .25 I only carry FMJs.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never carry .25 acp. I have seen firsthand a case where a man was shot five times in the head from about 2 feet away with a .25 acp. After the five shots failed to take the man down, he was beaten unconscious with a table leg. The McHenry County coroner determined the cause of death was blood loss. Not one round penetrated the skull enough to cause a fatal injury. He bleed out while laying unconscious for several hours.

Even a 22lr had a much greater probability of penetration in that case.

^ this ***

• 2 weeks later...

Basically a .380 is as small as you should go. A .22 magnum would be the exception.

There are plenty of mouse .380s that are small enough to conceal.

The .25 and .32 are likely to anger the person you might shoot.

Stick with .380 or larger.

That's ridiculous. No one wants to get shot with anything, unless they're out of their mind (either due to drugs or mental instability).

A .22 will kill. So will a .25 or .32acp.

Carry what you can handle. If it's a .22, so be it. Don't try to over-compensate... just keep calm and carry concealed (legally, of course).

Archived