Crime on CTA/Mass Transit ... Reports and Data

Dr. Rat

Man robbed of laptop at Belmont Red Line station Wednesday 5/13:

A neighborhood resident reported being robbed of his laptop at the Belmont CTA station Wednesday evening. The victim called police around 9:24PM, but was not on-scene when police arrived about 10 minutes later.

Indications are that the victim walked to the 19th district station to file a report.

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2015/05/a-real-drag-2-robberies-reported-in.html

Multiple incidents this weekend on CTA train platforms:

Saturday 5/16

3:26am "Large disturbance" on street at Belmont Red Line draws large police response.

4:00am Ambulance responds to Belmont Red Line to tend to a beating victim

4:10am CTA workers at Belmont CTA station report "15 transgenders soliciting and threatening them."

Sunday 5/17

4:31am Man reports being jumped at Belmont Red Line station

4:34am Multiple people fighting at Belmont Red Line station

4:40am Fighting at Addison Red Line station

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2015/05/helmont-rides-again-late-night-mayhem.html

Multiple incidents this weekend on CTA train platforms:

Saturday 5/16

3:26am "Large disturbance" on street at Belmont Red Line draws large police response.

4:00am Ambulance responds to Belmont Red Line to tend to a beating victim

4:10am CTA workers at Belmont CTA station report "15 transgenders soliciting and threatening them."

Sunday 5/17

4:31am Man reports being jumped at Belmont Red Line station

4:34am Multiple people fighting at Belmont Red Line station

4:40am Fighting at Addison Red Line station

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2015/05/helmont-rides-again-late-night-mayhem.html

Awww yeeaaaah! That's my 'hood for ya! Violent trans folk and mayhem on the Red Line! Just another weekend in Lakeview!

• 3 weeks later...

2 stabbed near Brown Line CTA stop in Lincoln Square

A man and a woman were wounded late Thursday afternoon after being stabbed near the Western Avenue Brown Line CTA stop in Lincoln Square, police said..

The stabbings happened at 4:34 p.m. on the 4600 block of North Western Avenue, said Officer Thomas Sweeney, a Chicago Police Department spokesman.

The two got into an argument with two males. It began on the platform stop and continued to the ground level, where they were stabbed, officials said.

• 2 weeks later...

Around 10:25 p.m. Saturday, a 21-year-old man was shot after he exited a CTA bus in the 100 block of 119th Street in the West Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side, Estrada said.

The man was arguing with three people on a CTA bus, and when he got off the bus, the three followed him, continuing the argument. At one point, someone fired a gun, striking the man and damaging the CTA bus, Estrada said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-violence-20150613-story.html

Around 10:25 p.m. Saturday, a 21-year-old man was shot after he exited a CTA bus in the 100 block of 119th Street in the West Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side, Estrada said.

The man was arguing with three people on a CTA bus, and when he got off the bus, the three followed him, continuing the argument. At one point, someone fired a gun, striking the man and damaging the CTA bus, Estrada said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-violence-20150613-story.html

Wait, according to that article, that means that someone was carrying a gun while riding a CTA bus, then got off and shot someone with it? But . . . but . . . that can't be possible! Firearms are illegal to carry while riding any public transportation in Illinois, including and especially the CTA in Chicago, so the guy who fired the shot couldn't have had a gun on him when he got off the bus! It's just not possible!

I know what happened! Him and his friends got off the bus while arguing with the guy he shot, he stopped and very quickly called someone and had them make a straw purchase at Chuck's Gun Shop, had them bring the gun 3.4 miles from Chuck's to the 100 block of 119th Street, so he could shoot the guy he was arguing with.

That's how it happened. I don't believe it could have happened any other way, because CTA buses are off-limits to anyone carrying a gun.

That's how it happened. I don't believe it could have happened any other way, because CTA buses are off-limits to anyone with a concealed carry license carrying a gun.

FIFY

Surely you couldn't possibly mean that someone would ever dare to carry a gun without a concealed carry license.

That's how it happened. I don't believe it could have happened any other way, because CTA buses are off-limits to anyone with a concealed carry license carrying a gun.

FIFY

Surely you couldn't possibly mean that someone would ever dare to carry a gun without a concealed carry license.

What do you mean? Guns are evil and have no place in society, so I can't even believe that they exist at all!

Did WGN provide a description of the offender so that we can be vigilant or assist the police in apprehending the perp? Or are they relying completely on cameras to prevent rapes?

Wgn says man mid 30's. Really helpful.

Or, unfortunately, she may have made it up, which if true rather sucks for actual victims.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/cta-red-line-sex-assault-report-unfounded-police-say/809465/

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/06/27/police-red-line-sexual-assault-claim-unfounded/

http://wgntv.com/2015/06/27/red-line-assault-claim-unfounded/

• 4 weeks later...
No bail for man accused of Red Line attacksBy Rosemary Regina Sobol Chicago Tribune contact the reporter

A judge denied bail Thursday afternoon for a 24-year-old parolee accused of robbing two people and knocking one of them unconscious earlier this week near the CTA’s Red Line in the Loop.

“You are a dangerous individual,’’ said Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. before denying bail for Demon D. Robinson, of the 2700 block of West Harrison Street.

Robinson grinned as he was led back into a holding cell by sheriff’s deputies after a Thursday afternoon hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building

Robinson was charged with robbery, two counts of aggravated battery and one count of attempted robbery, according to court documents. He was also wanted on a parole violation warrant.

He is suspected of robbing and punching a 20-year-old Gold Coast man Sunday and robbing and punching a 28-year-old Edgewater woman Monday, according to prosecutors.

Robinson was arrested early Tuesday in the 300 block of South State Street. Officers saw him loitering in Pritzker Park after hours and found he matched the description of a suspect wanted for multiple robberies on the Red Line, according to a police report.

He is suspected of punching the woman five times in the face, causing a laceration and fracture to her nose, while grabbing her purse in the Red Line subway in the 200 block of South State Street early Monday, according to court documents. The woman, who needed stitches, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

“If he had hit me a little bit harder, I would have been dead," said the 28-year-old woman, who did not want her name used.

It was about 6 a.m., and she was on her way to orientation for the first day at a new job when a man asked what time it was.

After telling him, she walked away, but he then “attacked me from behind," the woman said. “It’s horrifying that it could happen in a public place," she said.

Sunday’s incident happened in the 300 block of South State Street as Robinson allegedly punched the man in the face, hitting his jaw and knocking him unconscious as Robinson took the victim’s wallet, according to court documents.

He removed $50 from the wallet and threw the wallet to the floor. The man was taken to Mercy Hospital & Medical Center with severe facial injuries, including a broken right jaw, according to court documents.

Robinson was paroled in June for a robbery conviction, according to the Illinois Department of Corrections.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-no-bail-for-man-accused-of-red-line-attacks-20150723-story.html

No bail for man accused of Red Line attacks By Rosemary Regina Sobol Chicago Tribune contact the reporter

A judge denied bail Thursday afternoon for a 24-year-old parolee accused of robbing two people and knocking one of them unconscious earlier this week near the CTA’s Red Line in the Loop.

“You are a dangerous individual,’’ said Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. before denying bail for Demon D. Robinson, of the 2700 block of West Harrison Street.

Robinson grinned as he was led back into a holding cell by sheriff’s deputies after a Thursday afternoon hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building

Robinson was charged with robbery, two counts of aggravated battery and one count of attempted robbery, according to court documents. He was also wanted on a parole violation warrant.

He is suspected of robbing and punching a 20-year-old Gold Coast man Sunday and robbing and punching a 28-year-old Edgewater woman Monday, according to prosecutors.

Robinson was arrested early Tuesday in the 300 block of South State Street. Officers saw him loitering in Pritzker Park after hours and found he matched the description of a suspect wanted for multiple robberies on the Red Line, according to a police report.

He is suspected of punching the woman five times in the face, causing a laceration and fracture to her nose, while grabbing her purse in the Red Line subway in the 200 block of South State Street early Monday, according to court documents. The woman, who needed stitches, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

“If he had hit me a little bit harder, I would have been dead," said the 28-year-old woman, who did not want her name used.

It was about 6 a.m., and she was on her way to orientation for the first day at a new job when a man asked what time it was.

After telling him, she walked away, but he then “attacked me from behind," the woman said. “It’s horrifying that it could happen in a public place," she said.

Sunday’s incident happened in the 300 block of South State Street as Robinson allegedly punched the man in the face, hitting his jaw and knocking him unconscious as Robinson took the victim’s wallet, according to court documents.

He removed $50 from the wallet and threw the wallet to the floor. The man was taken to Mercy Hospital & Medical Center with severe facial injuries, including a broken right jaw, according to court documents.

Robinson was paroled in June for a robbery conviction, according to the Illinois Department of Corrections.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-no-bail-for-man-accused-of-red-line-attacks-20150723-story.html

Well, that's an appropriate name for the malevolent idiot.

Possible murder on a Brown Line station, body of a woman found with trauma: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-body-found-on-loop-brown-line-platform-20150725-story.html

Fortunately, that was not the case here. Unfortunately, she was pregnant and died of an embolism due to complications with deep vein thrombosis. Very tragic.

• 3 weeks later...

And now there is a gentleman robbing ladies by ripping their necklaces off and then exiting CTA trains. Nice.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/necklace-thief-targets-women-on-cta-trains-police-say/926380/

I saw that on the news yesterday afternoon. I was watching the TV in the corporate suite at the Cubs game and everyone else is having a good time and I let out an expletive showing my disgust at the story. Everyone goes, man you're such a downer. Have a beer!

I guess I'm glad I'm not riding the Red line as often any more.

And now there is a gentleman robbing ladies by ripping their necklaces off and then exiting CTA trains. Nice.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/necklace-thief-targets-women-on-cta-trains-police-say/926380/

I saw that on the news yesterday afternoon. I was watching the TV in the corporate suite at the Cubs game and everyone else is having a good time and I let out an expletive showing my disgust at the story. Everyone goes, man you're such a downer. Have a beer!

I guess I'm glad I'm not riding the Red line as often any more.

Unfortunately, I ride it twice a day Monday through Friday.

• 5 weeks later...

http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/71/953461/armed-robbery-metras-harvey-station-platform

Two charged with armed robbery on Metras Harvey station

WRITTEN BY FRANCESCA GATTUSO POSTED: 09/11/2015, 08:21PM

Two men have been charged in connection with an armed robbery in south suburban Harvey earlier this week.

Around 9:15 p.m. Tuesday, the men approached two commuters at the 15400 South Park Avenue Harvey Metra platform with a handgun and demanded their belongings, according to a statement from Metra.

Wendel P. White, 18, and Jamaael Lawson, 18, both of south suburban Phoenix, then ran with cash, transit tickets and one of the victims cell phones, Metra said.

White and Lawson were charged on Thursday with 2 counts of armed robbery, a Class X felony, and were both scheduled to appear in Cook County Bond Court Friday.

Metra reminds riders to be aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious activity to Metra Police at (312) 322-2800.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/71/953461/armed-robbery-metras-harvey-station-platform

Two charged with armed robbery on Metras Harvey stationWRITTEN BY FRANCESCA GATTUSO POSTED: 09/11/2015, 08:21PMTwo men have been charged in connection with an armed robbery in south suburban Harvey earlier this week.Around 9:15 p.m. Tuesday, the men approached two commuters at the 15400 South Park Avenue Harvey Metra platform with a handgun and demanded their belongings, according to a statement from Metra.Wendel P. White, 18, and Jamaael Lawson, 18, both of south suburban Phoenix, then ran with cash, transit tickets and one of the victims cell phones, Metra said.White and Lawson were charged on Thursday with 2 counts of armed robbery, a Class X felony, and were both scheduled to appear in Cook County Bond Court Friday.Metra reminds riders to be aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious activity to Metra Police at (312) 322-2800.

As always, no mention of any weapons charges ... and the signs didn't work ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Assault/battery this morning at the Lake Red Line station. Think I came out ok for 3v1, may post details in another thread. Both the male & female EMTs recommended CCW separately, then the ER nurse who checked me out did the same.

Anyone have an attorney recommendation? If nothing else I'd like to see the surveillance videos.

Assault/battery this morning at the Lake Red Line station. Think I came out ok for 3v1, may post details in another thread. Both the male & female EMTs recommended CCW separately, then the ER nurse who checked me out did the same.

Anyone have an attorney recommendation? If nothing else I'd like to see the surveillance videos.

Glad you're ok!

Did you remind all of them that CCW is prohibited on public transit?

Archived