County Fair

Little Duck

OP you didn't supply a lot of information. What county fair and is it on county fairgrounds? If it's on county fairgrounds then you might be answering your own question.

Was wondering the same thing about the fairs myself. Everyone always assumes the county owns the fairgrounds. The Lake and McHenry County fairgrounds are privately owned by nonprofit groups.

I have been to a couple meetings at a building at the McHenry County fairgrounds and never saw a sign.

Might be different for the actual fair though.

Was wondering the same thing about the fairs myself. Everyone always assumes the county owns the fairgrounds. The Lake and McHenry County fairgrounds are privately owned by nonprofit groups.

I have been to a couple meetings at a building at the McHenry County fairgrounds and never saw a sign.

Might be different for the actual fair though.

Will County fairgrounds are posted.

There's no way for the CCL holder to know if an event has a permit. If there is an event permit, isn't the permit applicant required to post the infamous 4"X 6" signage?

In theory yes they are supposed to post...how many events with special permits do you see posting? 10%?

I don't know...because there's no way for me to know which have permits and which don't. And, I think it's unreasonable for me to do the research. So, no sign, no problem...carry on.

In fact, I'm totally cool with any person or entity who is required by law to post but does not. There's no penalty for them. For instance, if a school or city hall or 51% restaurant doesn't post...where's the harm? As far as I can tell, there isn't any.

For the gun shows at Wheaton and Kane fairgrounds, if I remember correctly, Wheaton was posted with the no carry signs...not sure if just gun show or regular fairground posting, while Kane only had signs that all firearms, including CC needed to be unloaded.

Isn't that ridiculous? LMFAO. A gun show that won't allow guns! Because, you know, someone with a CCL might go in there and try to rob the place...

There's no way for the CCL holder to know if an event has a permit. If there is an event permit, isn't the permit applicant required to post the infamous 4"X 6" signage?

In theory yes they are supposed to post...how many events with special permits do you see posting? 10%?

I don't know...because there's no way for me to know which have permits and which don't. And, I think it's unreasonable for me to do the research. So, no sign, no problem...carry on.

In fact, I'm totally cool with any person or entity who is required by law to post but does not. There's no penalty for them. For instance, if a school or city hall or 51% restaurant doesn't post...where's the harm? As far as I can tell, there isn't any.

Said it before, will say it again.

This law is pretty permissive where attitudes towards guns are less hostile.

If an establishment that receives more than 50% of their gross receipts from the sale of alcohol (for consumption on the premises) fails to prohibit concealed firearms from their business, they are subject to a penalty under the Liquor Control Act.

So, no, it's not always, "no harm, no foul."

The burden of posting is on 51% restaurants by law. Not doing so jeopardizes their liquor license. If they don't post, you are not violating the law by carrying.

You were required to take training where the instructor was required to inform you that Schools and City Hall are off limits. Posted or not, if you carry there, you are violating the law. So what's the harm? A Class B misdemeanor and an additional $500 fee to the "mental health reporting fund", assuming it is your first offense. If you can stomach that, follow your gut. Personally, I'll pass.

The office building where my senator and Rep have offices is not posted anymore. They actually posted then removed the posting. I'm not quite sure why, either, despite the fact that there are about 20+ office suites in that building, every one of them occupied. I KNOW that it's an off-limits area only because my insurance agency is also in the same building and I've been there to talk to my Rep but anyone not from the area would not know that it's off-limits until (or even if, since there's at least two ways to completely bypass walking past their offices, wouldn't see the offices) they see that there's legislators' offices inside the building. Are we expected to find out if a legislator has an office in every building that we enter? More vexing questions.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

The office building where my senator and Rep have offices is not posted anymore. They actually posted then removed the posting. I'm not quite sure why, either, despite the fact that there are about 20+ office suites in that building, every one of them occupied. I KNOW that it's an off-limits area only because my insurance agency is also in the same building and I've been there to talk to my Rep but anyone not from the area would not know that it's off-limits until (or even if, since there's at least two ways to completely bypass walking past their offices, wouldn't see the offices) they see that there's legislators' offices inside the building. Are we expected to find out if a legislator has an office in every building that we enter? More vexing questions.

In Elgin the state reps office was on the 5th floor of an Office building. Only the door to that suite was posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are we sure the rented/leased space by a rep is statutorily prohibited?

ETA: I see for govt they use "under the control," so it looks like it is. Too bad there's not a fine for not posting...

It isn't posted and it's impossible to see the directory until you're inside the building, about 10 feet from the door to my Rep's office. It is, in fact, impossible for anyone to know that there are two legislative offices in that building until you already violate the law. Oddly enough there's an Edward Jones advisor who rents a suite in the building, it can't be accessed from the inside of the building, only exterior access, and he posts his office. He even posts the inside entrance that's blocked off (with a sign at the bottom of the door that you can't see unless you crouch down like a catcher).

The burden of posting is on 51% restaurants by law. Not doing so jeopardizes their liquor license. If they don't post, you are not violating the law by carrying.

You were required to take training where the instructor was required to inform you that Schools and City Hall are off limits. Posted or not, if you carry there, you are violating the law. So what's the harm? A Class B misdemeanor and an additional $500 fee to the "mental health reporting fund", assuming it is your first offense. If you can stomach that, follow your gut. Personally, I'll pass.

Um, yes, I was there at the training. I said there was no consequence for the school for not posting. There's no fine. The principal won't go to jail. I didn't advocate carrying in areas prohibited by statute and I didn't say I would do so either.

I stand corrected on the 51%. However, who will do the investigation into their books to determine whether they're required to post? Unless there's reasonable suspicion that they should be posting by some law enforcement entity, my guess is the chances are pretty slim that they'll have a problem. I'd also guess that most establishments where they have no history of violent patrons and a lot of police calls won't have any issues.

Does having a liquor license require you to report what portion of your sales are alcohol? I can't see how it would, since you can get a license before you even open the establishment.

Archived