The New Guy at Work

soylentgreen

However, if he doesn't buy and read those books, then he's one of the tools we all know about or have heard of who think that carrying a gun makes them a Delta DEVGRU Ranger Elite Operator of Death and that just carrying it makes the bad guys run in the other direction and wet their pants. Those types are the idiots who wind up brandishing and getting arrested for being morons, and then losing their rights to even own guns.

Knew a guy a few years back who struck me as kind of a loudmouth with anger management issues. He was fond of throwing out that he had a FOID and been BG checked so he was an OK guy. Not very discreet and he wound up getting an OP against him and his card suspended.

Few people know I have FOID or CCL. Although, in an attempt to correct misinformation in discussions, I became the "he knows about guns guy" to later the "why do you know so much about guns" guy. Whoops...I just read a lot!

Strike up a convo with him about carry. Tell him that the most widely recommended books are Mas' books, along with The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca. Tell him those books are like the bible for concealed carriers.....which they really are. Tell him that everyone who carries has read those books multiple times and it should be required reading.

That will hopefully lead to him buying and reading those books, and giving him a hint after he's read them that he should shut the front door about carrying, or be a bit more discrete about it.

No one should know you're carrying. You shouldn't even put a single pro 2A sticker on your car. Be the gray man.

Very much this. If I have to leave my gun in my car I try to park near the pickup truck with the Molon Labe, NRA, and Punisher skull stickers. Make the other car look like it has the more interesting stuff in it.

Knew a guy a few years back who struck me as kind of a loudmouth with anger management issues. He was fond of throwing out that he had a FOID and been BG checked so he was an OK guy. Not very discreet and he wound up getting an OP against him and his card suspended.

Few people know I have FOID or CCL. Although, in an attempt to correct misinformation in discussions, I became the "he knows about guns guy" to later the "why do you know so much about guns" guy. Whoops...I just read a lot!

Same here. People as a whole are so ignorant about gun laws that by simply letting a tiny amount of knowledge drop you out yourself.

I corrected someone regarding UUW in a case involving a knife, not even a gun, and that was enough to draw suspicion.

Strike up a convo with him about carry. Tell him that the most widely recommended books are Mas' books, along with The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca. Tell him those books are like the bible for concealed carriers.....which they really are. Tell him that everyone who carries has read those books multiple times and it should be required reading.

That will hopefully lead to him buying and reading those books, and giving him a hint after he's read them that he should shut the front door about carrying, or be a bit more discrete about it.

No one should know you're carrying. You shouldn't even put a single pro 2A sticker on your car. Be the gray man.

Very much this. If I have to leave my gun in my car I try to park near the pickup truck with the Molon Labe, NRA, and Punisher skull stickers. Make the other car look like it has the more interesting stuff in it.

There are a lot of negatives associated with getting your car all sticker'd up. One you mentioned....theft. The other is driving on the roads, and someone who is a rabid anti gunner sees your stickers, maybe you triggered them by passing them a bit too quickly, they call the police and tell them that you pointed a gun at them when you passed, the cops pull you over, and you just so happen to have a gun. Not much of a defense you can make at that point and you're screwed.

I have no time for people who talk anti cop, none. These folks are brave, hugely underpaid, and walk into potential sh*&storms day after day. Yeah, there are a few bad apples out there, as with any group. Thankfully, that number is a tiny fraction of a percentage point. This guy sounds like a real tool. Why does every office, no matter the size always have 'that guy"? LOL

Pretty much my opinion exactly. I don't necessarily trust cops, but I respect them and what they do. I harbor no ill will toward them. I'm just smart enough to know that they're not always looking to help you out. Sometimes they're feeling out what kind of crime they can charge you with. My policy is to be friendly and say as little as possible and support them where I'm able. Most are just trying to do a crappy job under crappy circumstances. I NEVER assume a cop is in the wrong when there's a police-involved shooting, for instance.

I pretty much agree with every point you make, SG. I come from a long line of Chicago cops, and this is exactly what they told me when they were still living. I am the the guy who likes to avoid all hot button topics when out with a group of friends or whatever. For whatever reason, these "discussions" or "debates" always seem to get heated. Life is too short as it is. I do get a little caught up and emotional on certain issues every once in while, but I quickly step back once I've realized it. I think we call that human nature. :) The older I get, the more mellow I've become. Have a good week, brother.

We have to remind ourselves that the right to keep and bear arms is a RIGHT, not a special privilege given to the appointed few. And as a right, we are bound to have a percentage of people who avail themselves of that right to not be responsible in their actions. And even with the need to have a license to carry, the requirements for such do not even attempt to rule out the braggarts and fools who otherwise qualify and go to the effort to secure a license. In fairness, I have rarely run across the concealed carrier that makes me want to cringe in embarrassment. I saw someone at the mall actually wearing a badge on his belt that read Licensed Concealed Carrier. I also have seen a few such folks in gun shops, usually hanging around the handgun counter just hoping to be able to "educate" some novice who is looking at handguns and admits total ignorance about guns. On a few occasions I have intervened, quietly telling the newbie that there are many varied opinions about which handgun is best for different people and that training by a reputable instructor is well worth the time and effort before buying, let alone carrying a firearm. The bottom line is that there are and will be people with concealed carry licenses that in a perfect world we would have preferred they not be carrying. But anyone who thinks that we can devise a set of rules to limit concealed carry to only the "right" people is really just setting us up for restrictive, elitist rules that would unreasonably restrict our Constitutional right under the 2nd Amendment.

We have to remind ourselves that the right to keep and bear arms is a RIGHT, not a special privilege given to the appointed few. And as a right, we are bound to have a percentage of people who avail themselves of that right to not be responsible in their actions. And even with the need to have a license to carry, the requirements for such do not even attempt to rule out the braggarts and fools who otherwise qualify and go to the effort to secure a license. In fairness, I have rarely run across the concealed carrier that makes me want to cringe in embarrassment. I saw someone at the mall actually wearing a badge on his belt that read Licensed Concealed Carrier. I also have seen a few such folks in gun shops, usually hanging around the handgun counter just hoping to be able to "educate" some novice who is looking at handguns and admits total ignorance about guns. On a few occasions I have intervened, quietly telling the newbie that there are many varied opinions about which handgun is best for different people and that training by a reputable instructor is well worth the time and effort before buying, let alone carrying a firearm. The bottom line is that there are and will be people with concealed carry licenses that in a perfect world we would have preferred they not be carrying. But anyone who thinks that we can devise a set of rules to limit concealed carry to only the "right" people is really just setting us up for restrictive, elitist rules that would unreasonably restrict our Constitutional right under the 2nd Amendment.

+1, well stated, vito.

All valid points but I don't think anyone in this thread suggested that some people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns because they're mouth breathers.

I honestly don't care who carries, whether they're smart, dumb, know how they should act when carrying, or know how to deploy their firearm appropriately. The dumb ones weed themselves out. The dumb ones will pull it out at times where it's not called for, like road rage incidents, or like that security guard story where he drew, and may not have had the lawful right to. How many posts are shared on here where someone flashed his gun at someone, or did something dumb with their gun only to have both their CCL and FOID's revoked? That's what I mean by them weeding themselves out.

The problem with the CCW culture, and gun culture in general is that some folks tend to not seek out any training after getting their CCL. Getting a CCL isn't training, it's a hoop to jump through. I'm a member of a FB group filled with gun owners who live in Illinois. I see at least 1 dumb comment per day on there from someone who carries, yet has no idea what the laws are, when you can pull, etc. I see it far too often and know that at some point in the near future, that person will more than likely either wind up behind bars, or lose their 2A rights. It's sad, but it's something that is easily rectified with a bit of self education at the very least by reading some books, and taking some classes by qualified instructors. The bad apples weed themselves out, and the best we can do is hope that no one loses their life because of their inability to think and ignorance of what self defense is. It's defense, not offense.

Concealed Carry has been legal in Illinois since January, 2014. As of the end of the day on Feb 28, 2017, there were 223,637 active FCCLs" in Illinois.

To the best of my understanding there's only been one IL CCL holder who has committed a crime with a gun since Illinois CCL started. It was that guy who walked into his girlfriend's office somewhere in Chicago's financial district and killed his girlfriend. My favorite question to cops I know is if they know of any cases where a CCL holder committed a crime with a gun. None of them have come up with one. Isn't that amazing? Makes me proud.

Even if there's a couple more I don't know, I'm guessing the microscopic number of gun crimes committed by Illinois CCL holders would be even much more amazing to anybody reading this thread. Especially regarding that "scarey" new CCL holder at the OP's work and goofy gun owners that others know. They might be more apt to believe the "blood in the streets" prediction by anti-gunners before Illinois CCL got passed.

I work in a small office of about 50 people in the Cook suburbs. I'm aware of two other CCL holders, which is very cool. Both are awesome low-key responsible people.

A new guy started a month ago. Today I overheard him in two different very loud conversations (he tends to be loud anyway) telling people how he did his CCL training this past weekend.

I think he thinks it's cool to let people know in a round-about way that he will soon be carrying a gun around. I hope he realizes it's not a license to shoot people. I've heard him make some VERY anti-cop statements in the past.

This dude scares me.

Maybe he has a speech impediment that causes him to be loud. Perhaps hos anti-cop comments were his way of saying that he does not trust the police to protect him.

I work in a small office of about 50 people in the Cook suburbs. I'm aware of two other CCL holders, which is very cool. Both are awesome low-key responsible people.

A new guy started a month ago. Today I overheard him in two different very loud conversations (he tends to be loud anyway) telling people how he did his CCL training this past weekend.

I think he thinks it's cool to let people know in a round-about way that he will soon be carrying a gun around. I hope he realizes it's not a license to shoot people. I've heard him make some VERY anti-cop statements in the past.

This dude scares me.

Maybe he has a speech impediment that causes him to be loud. Perhaps hos anti-cop comments were his way of saying that he does not trust the police to protect him.

Well...he's pretty loud generally.

His anti-cop sentiments have to do with the Black Lives Matter movement. That's all I'll say because I don't want to make this about race.

No argument at all. I firmly believe that, in a free society, everyone should have full access to their rights and privileges under the constitution...until they demonstrate they can't handle the responsibilities that come with those rights. Due process is key, of course.

Freedom has risks. I fully accept the risks because the alternative is to live in a gilded cage. No thank you. However, that doesn't mean I don't want to put distance between myself and personalities who may not behave in a way I'd like.

Yeah. I've stopped wearing NRA and Grunt Style shirts too. Honestly, it's killing my high-fashion lifestyle. :cry:

Lol, I hear you. I'd like nothing more than proudly display my undying support of 2A, but the risks associated with it are far too great.

That's all I need is to have an NRA sticker on my car, go shopping and then come out to find that some looney anti keyed my whole car because they have the mental capacity and impulse control of a toddler.

Yeah. I've stopped wearing NRA and Grunt Style shirts too. Honestly, it's killing my high-fashion lifestyle. :cry:

Lol, I hear you. I'd like nothing more than proudly display my undying support of 2A, but the risks associated with it are far too great.

That's all I need is to have an NRA sticker on my car, go shopping and then come out to find that some looney anti keyed my whole car because they have the mental capacity and impulse control of a toddler.

100% with you there. Even before getting my CCL, I was wary of this kind of thing. Also...I keep my vehicles in a pristine state...and to me, stickers of any kind are tacky. They fade and peel and look like garbage after a while.

Not to hijack the thread, but about 30 years ago my daughter who was still living at home at the time bought a bumper sticker and put it on one of my cars. It was a humorous one, poking fun at the fanatics of many causes. It read something like "Honk your horn if you support the right to life of baby whales who are adopted" of something equally as silly. Not a week went by before the bumper sticker was mostly scraped off the car and the sides of the car were badly keyed. Made me realize how little of a sense of humor the zealots to many causes possess. Since then I do not put any stickers or decals on my vehicles.

Not to hijack the thread, but about 30 years ago my daughter who was still living at home at the time bought a bumper sticker and put it on one of my cars. It was a humorous one, poking fun at the fanatics of many causes. It read something like "Honk your horn if you support the right to life of baby whales who are adopted" of something equally as silly. Not a week went by before the bumper sticker was mostly scraped off the car and the sides of the car were badly keyed. Made me realize how little of a sense of humor the zealots to many causes possess. Since then I do not put any stickers or decals on my vehicles.

Unreal. People are very thin-skinned.

Nothing new. I wouldn't put advertisements like "This car protected by Smith & Wesson" on my car. It's about as non-descript as possible and that's how I like it. However, I do respect the right to free expression which is why I begrudgingly tolerate seeing bumper stickers calling gun owners stupid, calling to resist Trump (resist what? The person? You people make no sense). They don't realize they're pushing us down a path of tyranny. Their rights are just as disposable as ours, assuming they achieve their objective of censoring any speech with which they disagree.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Nothing new. I wouldn't put advertisements like "This car protected by Smith & Wesson" on my car. It's about as non-descript as possible and that's how I like it. However, I do respect the right to free expression which is why I begrudgingly tolerate seeing bumper stickers calling gun owners stupid, calling to resist Trump (resist what? The person? You people make no sense). They don't realize they're pushing us down a path of tyranny. Their rights are just as disposable as ours, assuming they achieve their objective of censoring any speech with which they disagree. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I often weight this decision but the pissing off liberals side of me usually prevails.

There's just something strikingly funny when I see a "honk if you've never seen a uzi fired from a truck window" bumper sticker.

I LOVE to irritate liberals but I don't go out of my way to rock the boat. There's too many of them around here. Some unhinged moron always writes letters to the editor, full of words in all caps. Phrases like "Republicans WANT YOU TO DIE." To be honest, that reminds me of the garbage that Hodgkinson was doing before he decided to pepper a baseball diamond with 7.62x39mm and 9mm. I think his latest letter is entitled "Roe v. Wade is settled law." Someone wrote a reply stating "Slavery was also considered 'settled law' until it wasn't. Men were allowed to beat their wives, rape their wives, that was settled law. Until it wasn't. Segregation was settled law, until it wasn't. Do see where I'm going with this?"

I've never seen the "Honk if you've never seen an Uzi fired from a truck" bumper sticker. I have seen quite a few "Keep honking (censored), I'm reloading." I just don't see any purpose in antagonizing people. Lots of liberal, utterly clueless college students here that would probably put me in a situation where I need to draw my EDC.

We even had one of those "March for Truth" (about Trump being a traitor) here headed up by my own Alderman...who will be receiving a letter from me, telling him to do his job instead of grandstanding and pimping himself out to the media like when he volunteered to defend a serial killer, then told the county that he was doing them a favor by "only" charging $600k in attorney's fees wow thanks.

I definitely avoid giving my political opinions to strangers if there's no reason to. As much as I'd like to antagonize leftists I encounter, I just don't have the time. And, if a situation I instigated turned violent, I don't want to deal with the consequences of that. I think leftist bumper stickers are amusing, to be honest. They're so full of hyperbole and half-truths...I honestly pity how stupid they are.

Like a few others have said, I think it might be worth it to strike up a conversation "gun guy to gun guy" and maybe get a feel for if his intentions were to "brag" or simply that he was excited about it, and maybe diplomatically let him know it might not be a bad idea to tone it down.

I say that because I tend to be pretty open about my 2nd Amendment views and my enjoyment of shooting in general in conversation. I'm not going around sharing it with everyone on the street, but I don't necessarily make an attempt to hide it and I like to engage with people who are anti-2A when I can. As far as at work, I work in a detention facility so the tendency is for most of my coworkers to be at least neutral on 2A issues and more often than not supporting the 2A. I talked about taking my CCL class quite a bit, but I also go shooting with quite a few of my coworkers and I've helped others with getting into gun ownership, so it was a pretty natural topic of discussion. I don't talk about it around our residents, obviously.

On the other hand, I don't put NRA/USCCA/etc. stickers on anything I own except the boxes where I keep my gun cleaning supplies. I'm not going to give people I don't know a reason to make me a target.

• 1 month later...

"I saw someone at the mall actually wearing a badge on his belt that read Licensed Concealed Carrier."

Please tell me you're joking. This makes me feel irritated, sad, and hilarious all at the same time.

This dude scares me.

Well...he's pretty loud generally.

His anti-cop sentiments have to do with the Black Lives Matter movement. That's all I'll say because I don't want to make this about race.

So, basically, you work with Jacob Silj.

I LOVE to irritate liberals but I don't go out of my way to rock the boat. There's too many of them around here. Some unhinged moron always writes letters to the editor, full of words in all caps. Phrases like "Republicans WANT YOU TO DIE." To be honest, that reminds me of the garbage that Hodgkinson was doing before he decided to pepper a baseball diamond with 7.62x39mm and 9mm. I think his latest letter is entitled "Roe v. Wade is settled law." Someone wrote a reply stating "Slavery was also considered 'settled law' until it wasn't. Men were allowed to beat their wives, rape their wives, that was settled law. Until it wasn't. Segregation was settled law, until it wasn't. Do see where I'm going with this?" I've never seen the "Honk if you've never seen an Uzi fired from a truck" bumper sticker. I have seen quite a few "Keep honking (censored), I'm reloading." I just don't see any purpose in antagonizing people. Lots of liberal, utterly clueless college students here that would probably put me in a situation where I need to draw my EDC. We even had one of those "March for Truth" (about Trump being a traitor) here headed up by my own Alderman...who will be receiving a letter from me, telling him to do his job instead of grandstanding and pimping himself out to the media like when he volunteered to defend a serial killer, then told the county that he was doing them a favor by "only" charging $600k in attorney's fees wow thanks. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Just curious, but which serial killer? Illinois has had more than its fair share, you know.

Nicholas Sheley. The guy who killed his way down 88, 74, and all the way down to Missouri. Oh, and when he was done defending him, all of the appeals, he sent the county a bill of costs. Then somehow it got published in the newspaper that he actually had the balls to tell the county "I'm cutting you a break by charging half of my normal rate."

Archived