"Don't ask, don't tell."

Sad but true -- in Crook Illinois what the law says, who said it, and what can happen (or not) is a tad vague at best -- until we get a definite law (and preeminence that 'they' actually listen to), SCOTUS guidance, or (help ya) a trial rulling, best trust in the Lord and keep your powder dry.

"Don't ask, don't tell."

Sad but true -- in Crook Illinois what the law says, who said it, and what can happen (or not) is a tad vague at best -- until we get a definite law (and preeminence that 'they' actually listen to), SCOTUS guidance, or (help ya) a trial rulling, best trust in the Lord and keep your powder dry.

This is a reasonable stance to take, and I used to for many years. I got tired of it though and have instead educated myself as best I could so that I am confident in what I am doing. Thus I can be a vocal advocate. If everyone keeps quiet, nothing will change and the anti's will have the loudest voice.

I no longer keep my status as a gun owner private from people. I don't volunteer it and and will maintain some discretion in a work environment of course, but I won't keep it hidden. If gun owners keep quiet about owning guns it might make you invisible privately, but it also makes you invisible politically. My hope is that by being open about my guns I am normalizing gun ownership among the people I interact with. And by having all of my ducks in a row and I am confident that I am within the law (though of course the concern is always there).

• 2 weeks later...

Do the H&K SP5K and clones allowed as per Chicago ordinance?

Well, they do have "Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun" listed in their ban, but if the state has preemption regarding handguns, unsure if Chi/Cook would attempt enforcement or not.

If you have SP5K cash, then you also have B&T cash. B&T guns aren't clones of existing firearms which keeps you off that hook. They're also pistols so should be covered by preemption. Only sticking spot is the magazine capacity and cosmetic feature aspects of the ban, but that case is pretty thin again based on preemption for handguns.

"Don't ask, don't tell."

That's always a good policy. In fact, I'd take it a step further. "Go ahead and ask, I still won't tell". Get a warrant if you think I'm doing something illegal. Having a rifle case isn't probable cause of any crime.

Yes, the patchwork of laws in this state is difficult to understand and navigate. It is possible to have no intention to break any law, but still find yourself in trouble. At least we got some clarity with the Concealed Carry Act. More clarity/uniformity would be good...but at least there's been some progress.

• 7 months later...

New to the group. Moving from MI to Chicago, downtown to be exact. I’ve been reading several of these threads, as well as other articles on the intrawebs. Wondering if there has been any updates to the interpretations of the laws presented in this thread?

Based on what was shared above, I’m concluding that I can’t posses the below items in the city of Chicago:

- magazines over 10rds

- any firearm with an integrated laser

- suppressors (with federally legal tax stamp)

- threaded barrels

- ARs (including SBRs, with a federally legal tax stamp)

Am I correct on assuming these are no go in the city of chicago?

New to the group. Moving from MI to Chicago, downtown to be exact. I’ve been reading several of these threads, as well as other articles on the intrawebs. Wondering if there has been any updates to the interpretations of the laws presented in this thread?

Based on what was shared above, I’m concluding that I can’t posses the below items in the city of Chicago:

- magazines over 10rds

- any firearm with an integrated laser

- suppressors (with federally legal tax stamp)

- threaded barrels

- ARs (including SBRs, with a federally legal tax stamp)

Don’t give up what you already have. What people don’t know can’t hurt them.....

- magazines over 10rds

I believe the mag limit for handguns and rifles in Chicago is 12 rds (amended upward from 10 at some point), but handgun mags are exempt from the limit if you have a FOID (which you should).

... at least for now ...

Suppressors are not allowed state wide in IL

SBRs require a C&R license.

Chicago handgun law is 15 rd mag limit iirc and Cook county is 10. Legal in regard to state preemption??? Hasnt been challenged afaik

Lasers are also listed in the Chicago muni code.

There is a Cook Co AWB but cant speak to its enforcement.

Some collar county gun shops have locker rentals

Get your DL first. Then do the FOID card and CCL making sure address matches exactly.

Personally I would look at a Mini-30 with a Chicago legal stock and mags. As a plus, Ruger also now has a bolt action that also takes Mini-30 magazines.

On a similar note, I've been toying with the idea of a gas eject lever release AR idea. Requires depressing a lever to release the bolt post round being ejected.

Archived