Photo

College Student Victim of Confusing Gun Laws

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

His next court appearance is tomorrow (Monday April 24) at 9 a.m. I hope some of our Chicago members can show up to give him moral support.

Hopefully he has retained a good attorney.  From the facts stated here, I can't see any law whatsoever being broken.  (But of course we don't know all the facts.)

If anyone has a chance, please post the updates tomorrow in this thread...

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#32 junglebob

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

I think the bottom line is that with no immediate evidence of domestic violence, they simply found a reason to arrest and charge him. Probably in the hopes that more potential domestic charges would be pressed upon his removal from the residence... Doesn't make it right but law enforcement is always arresting people for trumped up BS, while attempting to gather whatever potential evidence they need to make more legitimate charges stick Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

$50,000 in bail. Wow, I'm wondering if felons in possession of a handgun get bail set this high? Sure sounds like BS charges. I hope he didn't admit to taking the handgun loaded from his car to the residence, if he did.

I hope a lot of white gun owners show up for his court appearance to support him.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#33 brianj - now in Kansas

Political refugee from the People's Republic of IL

• Members
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, I'm a wimp, but this kind of crap (EXACTLY) was why I didn't bring a sidearm with me when I went back to Illinois for a visit a couple of weeks ago.  An AUUW charge against me could get both me and Mrs. J fired from our jobs.

I just crossed my fingers and hoped that nothing bad would happen for the 2 days we were there.

Bri

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#34 papa

• Members
  • 5,419 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, I'm a wimp, but this kind of crap (EXACTLY) was why I didn't bring a sidearm with me when I went back to Illinois for a visit a couple of weeks ago.  An AUUW charge against me could get both me and Mrs. J fired from our jobs.

I just crossed my fingers and hoped that nothing bad would happen for the 2 days we were there.

Bri

For times like this , carry a couple sharp knives and pepper spray.

#35 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

Bri

^ A man with a knife is not unarmed.

#36 Hazborgufen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

Bri

^ A man with a knife is not unarmed.

Just make sure the knife isn't too long for Chicago's laws. And make sure that the pepper spray is legal...

#37 tseeker

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

$50,000 in bail. Wow, I'm wondering if felons in possession of a handgun get bail set this high? Sure sounds like BS charges. I hope he didn't admit to taking the handgun loaded from his car to the residence, if he did.I hope a lot of white gun owners show up for his court appearance to support him.

Yep...Me thinks that there is a state run social agency (behind the scenes) talking extensively with the girlfriend and fishing for absolutely anything that could imply assult (if not trying to convince her that she is or has been abused)...

Probably even politely threatening to take her kid(s), if she doesn't play ball with them

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Edited by tseeker, 24 April 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#38 SycamoreRuger

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

Jamaal Jackson had a hearing on Monday the 24th but it sounds like not much came of it, His next hearing is on May 16. He is facing a felony charge.

The Crusader has a more details about the incident in today's edition:

https://chicagocrusa...lack-man-to-do/

#39 Bitter Clinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

I've read a lot about this case and still fail to see where this guy broke the law.
He seems to be getting railroaded.

#40 THE KING

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

I've read a lot about this case and still fail to see where this guy broke the law.He seems to be getting railroaded.

I'm with you. He hasn't broken any law's. I hope he has a lawyer that actually knows the gun laws and gets this case thrown out. Then he needs to sue the **** out of Cook County.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#41 Raw Power

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

He shoulda known the law. I agree its a stupid law that this state has, and yes a national bill on the matter is needed for situations just like this. However that's not the issue here. Ignorance of the law is no defense. Its not like he was in Kansas, he was in the heart of the liberal darkness. And he grew up here. He should have known better. No sympathy at all. You better darn well bet your butt that I'm gonna know the carry laws of the state I'm traveling too before I go there. If I can be that thorough then anyone can.

This is an extremely myopic view. Illinois law is very vague, confusing, and somewhat contradictory. This person did not have any evil intent and yet he's facing felony charges. That is a gross injustice and should not be happening. Just because it's the law doesn't make it right. He wasn't doing anything that would even remotely be considered wrong in most of the country, nor in most of Illinois for that matter.

Being so unsympathetic is a disgrace for anyone who considers themselves to be a 2nd Amendment supporter.

Why should his plight matter to me so much ? Is this case gonna do anything for me as an IL resident ? Do I have to worry about Illinois FOID card  regulations outside of IL ? Or the best question Do I even know anything about him as a person aside from the details of the case ? You must just have an easier sympathy trigger than mine. 

There's a lot of laws both state and federal I don't agree with, that doesn't mean I don't suffer the consequences of my actions if I break those laws. 

You need an FOID card to posses a gun in the state of IL. That's the law. He knew that law, he broke that law. That's the way the police interpreted that law.

Now he has to face the consequences of his actions and see if that interpretation of the law stands up. I fail to really see how this is some heartbreaking case that requires my sympathy.

I will give you this at least, he has my best wishes. Hope he gets off and changes the world for non IL residents who want to come to IL and carry a gun on them.

I'll tell you exactly why it matters:

because when you ignore the rights of others, and don't stand up for theirs because it doesn't affect you, the same can be done to you in reverse when you're in need of your rights being defended... Case in point:

https://www.thetruth...-for-carve-out/

Should gun owners outside of Illinois ignore our plight here, and continue to support RRA and Springfield?

Because that's what you're doing here in regards to the plight of a fellow gun owner, who by all accounts, didn't do anything wrong.

If you refuse to stand with him, why should anyone else stand with you?

Edited by Raw Power, 28 April 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#42 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

I've read a lot about this case and still fail to see where this guy broke the law.He seems to be getting railroaded.

I'm with you. He hasn't broken any law's. I hope he has a lawyer that actually knows the gun laws and gets this case thrown out. Then he needs to sue the **** out of Cook County.

Concur. From the story presented I'm not seeing where there was a violation of the law.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#43 kevintb7

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

Doesn't mention how he transported it from the car to the residence, but it does mention he has a safe. Seems perfectly reasonable he could have used that to bring it in. Theres no way this should goto court, either he admitted breaking the law or there is no proof he did.

Seems like he's getting screwed because the cops were pist no one pressed charges. Either racism or something else going on here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users