The Republicans who helped squash concealed carry in Illinois

Conservative1

The Republicans who helped squash concealed carry in Illinois

By DOUG IBENDAHL • August 22, 2011

Last month Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker signed legislation allowing citizens of that state to carry a concealed firearm.

Illinois is now the only state that doesn’t allow some form of concealed carry.

A concealed carry bill (HB148) failed in the Illinois House by just six votes back in May.

While the bill had substantial bipartisan support, it was mostly upstate lawmakers who killed the bill, at least for now.

Incredibly, three suburban Republican state representatives joined several Chicago Democrats in voting NO on HB148. Those Republicans were: Jim Durkin, Sid Mathias, and Rosemary Mulligan.

Of course it’s hardly the first time those three went off the GOP reservation. You can review a summary of their worst career votes HERE.

Concealed carry isn’t my big issue personally. I grew up downstate, hunted, and owned guns, but I’ve never felt I needed a gun living in Chicago. If we ever do get a concealed carry law, I still don’t see myself running out to apply.

But I can definitely understand the need. A nurse working the nightshift who has to walk through a dimly-lit parking garage, a store owner taking the day’s receipts to the bank, or just anyone living or working in a higher crime neighborhood – there are many people who would have a very legitimate need to carry what used to be called “the great equalizer.”

So Illinois is the outlier once again. But this is also once again a case where we can’t just blame the Democrats. As long as Republican lawmakers refuse to hold ranks on what should be a slam-dunk Republican issue, pointing fingers at the Democrats is just a pointless exercise in hypocrisy.

Jim Durkin, Sid Mathias, and Rosemary Mulligan – like every state representative and state senator – must run in the March 2012 Primary if they wish to keep their seats.

All three are extremely vulnerable on that vote alone, especially in a Republican Primary where GOP voters will be coming out to send a message to Barack Obama. And yes, the 2nd Amendment is a winning issue even in Cook County – especially in a Republican Primary.

Candidates can start collecting petition signatures on September 6th. The deadline to file is December 5th.

Doug Ibendahl is a Chicago Attorney and a former General Counsel of the Illinois Republican Party.

http://republicannewswatch.com/wp/?p=11177

if you look back to the posts just after the HB0148 loss, I was very vocal in my disappointment with these three knuckleheads. I personally called each of them, and after getting past the denials, read them the riot act. Durkin actually was quite combative and belligerent on the matter. Imho, the guy is a POS, if you ask me. The other two were more cowardly, Mathias after finally admitting to his nay, started babbling a number of excuses, and overwhelming the State Police. Mulligan never replied but her staff too claimed she did not vote nay until I offered to send the photo. She just stonewalled, and if pressed would probably play the constituent card.

I think worst of all is, I sent letters and a number of follow up emails to Pat Brady, and the ILGOP asking about this whole fiasco, and where the heck was his leadership on this matter - a bedrock and cornerstone of the entire Republican party. That jerkoff never had the courage to reply, nor any of his staff. I don't know, but me thinks this starts at the top, and the Republican party is in shambles because bozo's like Brady who really are quite clueless and incompetent.

It's time for a major overhaul of the ILGOP, in my humble but very irrate opinion.

Totally agree. I also got the same responses(or lack of)from these worms. I am hoping that the ILGOP contacts me for a donation this year. I will tell them that in order to get my money they will need to start acting like Republicans and start standing up for the values that made Republicans more attractive than the "Ds". All this before they hear the loud sound of me slamming the phone down. I think Illinois is getting fed up with the Chicago politics so prevalent in state politics and would welcome a change. After all, we can't do any worse than what we've got now(I hope!), so the only direction we are likely to go is UP as long as we stick to the ideas that we know are going to be successful and get the state back under control.

Prior to the vote on HR148, I wrote numerous letters to Durkin via email and never got a response. I made several phone calls to his office but was not able to get an answer when I asked what his position was, only "we'll let him know you called". After his "no" vote on HR148, I wrote Durkin numerous times, but he never even ackowledged my letters. I intend to write him again soon and let him know that I will probably be voting against him in the next election.

It bothers me more that he ignores me than if he had at least responded that he disagrees.

The Illinois GOP also told me that they had no opinion on Durkin not backing the party platform. They suggested that I contact his office directly.

Jim Durkin did respond to my email...AFTER I emailed the ILGOP and Republican leader asking if there was anyway we could hold a recall election for his (Durkin's) seat. I copied Durkin on the email. He responded snickeringly along the lines....ha ha there are no recall elections in Illinois!! In my Opinion, Durkin IS a P.O.S. and needs to be fired (beat in the next election) !!!!

Jim Durkin did respond to my email...AFTER I emailed the ILGOP and Republican leader asking if there was anyway we could hold a recall election for his (Durkin's) seat. I copied Durkin on the email. He responded snickeringly along the lines....ha ha there are no recall elections in Illinois!! In my Opinion, Durkin IS a P.O.S. and needs to be fired (beat in the next election) !!!!

very well said.....+1

Yep, he is a cocky SOB isn't he? Forget about the 2nd ammendment stuff, personally and professionally, the guy is just a real disgrace. I've got no use or respect for anyone who thumbs their noses at the folks he's pledged to serve. I'd go as far to say Pat Brady is a spittin' image.

He put that in writing? If he is opposed in the next election, perhaps you should provide a copy of that letter to his opponent. Somehow, I get the feeling that letter would not go over so well in someone else's negative campaign ad...

I contacted the ILGOP also and never received any reply. I didnt figure I would hear anything back and it pretty much lets me know where I stand with them. They sure can send out the junk mail but when it comes to a real concern by a member the silence is deafining.

I agree. Same thing here. Pat Brady (or his office) never bothered to respond. Neither did any of the 3 representatives above, after emails and calls. Those 3 need to be booted out in the Republican primary next Nov. Here's hoping!

I am myself a strident Republican and conservative. But I'd sure rather have Brandon Phelps (D) or a few of the other downstate dems (who are pro 2a and at least middle-of-the road on other issues [unlike the majority of dems who voted to raise our taxes by 67%]) representing me than any of those 3. (My Rep is none of the above; he's a great guy and pro 2a)

If you want to blame a Republican, blame Adam Andrzejewski. If he would have had the decency to exit the R primary and let Kirk Dillard win, we would likely have an R governor, and that would mean a lot of things would be better, and we might well have LTC. Instead he let his ego run wild and look what we ended up with.

If you want to blame a Republican, blame Adam Andrzejewski. If he would have had the decency to exit the R primary and let Kirk Dillard win, we would likely have an R governor, and that would mean a lot of things would be better, and we might well have LTC. Instead he let his ego run wild and look what we ended up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNydBMu1VfI

The reason Kirk Dillard lost is because he got fewer votes than Brady

That is certainly true, but he also had the same thing happen to him that happened to Oberweis in the previous election. Brady stayed in and took enough votes away from Oberweis so that JBT won the primary. I always figured a deal was made between Brady and JBT for Brady to stay in the race to kill off Oberweis, being as there was no reason for Brady to stay in the race as he was trailing badly and had zero chance of even coming close back then. keep in mind in a head to head race between JBT and Oberweis, Oberweis would have seriously trounced her. Her only chance was to siphon enough votes from Oberwise by Brady staying in. You will notice there was not a whole lot of opposition to Brady this time around from the R machine like there was the last time he ran. Maybe a favor being paid back?

Politics is a funny game. Oberweis was a bit of an outsider to the R political machine in IL, and I am not at all surprised that the R insiders would do what it took to get rid of him. Even going to the lengths of effectively making Brady an insider.

That is certainly true, but he also had the same thing happen to him that happened to Oberweis in the previous election. Brady stayed in and took enough votes away from Oberweis so that JBT won the primary. I always figured a deal was made between Brady and JBT for Brady to stay in the race to kill off Oberweis, being as there was no reason for Brady to stay in the race as he was trailing badly and had zero chance of even coming close back then. keep in mind in a head to head race between JBT and Oberweis, Oberweis would have seriously trounced her. Her only chance was to siphon enough votes from Oberwise by Brady staying in. You will notice there was not a whole lot of opposition to Brady this time around from the R machine like there was the last time he ran. Maybe a favor being paid back?

Politics is a funny game. Oberweis was a bit of an outsider to the R political machine in IL, and I am not at all surprised that the R insiders would do what it took to get rid of him. Even going to the lengths of effectively making Brady an insider.

I don't know that I'd make an accusation like that with no proof. That may be what happened or maybe not. As far as a reason for Brady to stay in that race, there's alwas name recognition. Andrzejewski got plenty of name recognition last time around that I'm sure will help him if he decides to run next time.

Since when is CCW either a GOP or Dem issue? The 2nd amendment is a right Guaranteed to everyone regardless of political affiliation. This is a ing poor article.

Vezpa, you are right that right to carry is not a partisan issue. We have both republicans and democrats who support RTC. However, this article is addressing the fact that the official IL Republican party platform does indeed endorse/support a RTC law . Page 6 I think. So these three representatives actually voted against their own party platform.

The democrat party does not endorse RTC but many dems do.

Exactly, we expect the Republican candidates to vote the platform. After all, that's part of the trade-off for getting money from ILGOP.

Oh, and if anyone from the ILGOP is reading this.

No more money from me. Period. Full Stop.

If you can get you're elected members to vote your platform, then I can't support you financially.

I'll give money directly to candidates how represent my views. Period. Full Stop.

Once your candidates understand that, then maybe they'll vote to represent those that elect them.

Archived