Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

I did not see Bud's Gun Shop in the updated list, but FWIW they shipped shotgun ammo to me here in the Chicago city limits, zip 606xx. I sent them FOID and DL.

I'm hesitant to add them as a dependable seller of ammo to Chicago as they've previously been really adamant about not sending anything here. If someone can get in touch with them and confirm they are good to go on shipping all ammo (except 50 BMG and AP) to people directly in the City of Chicago (not to an FFL, not to another address outside the city, etc.), then ok.

Understood. They did ship to my door via Fedex in the city of Chicago, but if others have had issues leave them off the list.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not see Bud's Gun Shop in the updated list, but FWIW they shipped shotgun ammo to me here in the Chicago city limits, zip 606xx. I sent them FOID and DL.

I'm hesitant to add them as a dependable seller of ammo to Chicago as they've previously been really adamant about not sending anything here. If someone can get in touch with them and confirm they are good to go on shipping all ammo (except 50 BMG and AP) to people directly in the City of Chicago (not to an FFL, not to another address outside the city, etc.), then ok.

Understood. They did ship to my door via Fedex in the city of Chicago, but if others have had issues leave them off the list.

To Test if Bud's Gun Shop will ship to Chicago, I placed an order on Wednesday 6/20 and Fedex delivery is scheduled for Friday 6/22. This is from Bud's Illinois restrictions:Illinois State Restrictions: Customers must possess a valid Illinois FOID (Firearm Owner’s ID) card to purchase firearms or ammunition anywhere in Illinois. Alternately, persons possessing a valid Illinois Concealed Carry License may present their valid license in lieu of the FOID card. It must be faxed or emailed to us prior to shipment. FOID cards are sent to the same place as FFL dealer information (ffl@budsgunshop.com / Fax 800 804 5569)

To Test if Bud's Gun Shop will ship to Chicago, I placed an order on Wednesday 6/20 and Fedex delivery is scheduled for Friday 6/22. This is from Bud's Illinois restrictions:Illinois State Restrictions: Customers must possess a valid Illinois FOID (Firearm Owner’s ID) card to purchase firearms or ammunition anywhere in Illinois. Alternately, persons possessing a valid Illinois Concealed Carry License may present their valid license in lieu of the FOID card. It must be faxed or emailed to us prior to shipment. FOID cards are sent to the same place as FFL dealer information (ffl@budsgunshop.com / Fax 800 804 5569)

If true, then this would be a complete 180 for Bud's. Let me know when your order arrives safely and I'll add them to the list!

If true, then this would be a complete 180 for Bud's. Let me know when your order arrives safely and I'll add them to the list!

Yes, I received my shipment as scheduled from Bud's without a problem.

Yes, I received my shipment as scheduled from Bud's without a problem.

Ok, thank you. I've added them.

• 2 months later...

Howdy neighbor. I was just in 60625 this weekend picking up Baker Miller.

Interesting that Midway has not accepted a shotgun ammo order in the past. Did you have other ammo in your cart? I've ordered ammo several times from there without issues, including 12 gauge and .308. I'm pretty sure I've also ordered .45 Colt. If you try to order 9mm, .38/.357, .22, .45 ACP, and something like .25 ACP you get the error. It's whatever was called out by name in the Chicago ordinance from a couple of decades ago. Notice .40 S&W isn't listed? It was invented in 1990. That's how old it is. The ATF book of all laws still includes this ordinance, so that's what Midway follows. I believe the state's attorney is responsible for updating the ATF. Pretty sure she isn't likely to any time soon...

I successfully ordered .32 S&W Long from them around the time I started this thread. Other people have reported to me they placed an order for the same ammo, only to have Midway cancel it. They are so flaky about which ammo they will ship here and when that I really think it's best to leave them where they are. It is very possible that they're going by the ancient ammo list circa 1984(!!), or at least some of them are, and who knows what the others there are doing.

Glad to hear they got you your shotshells, chislinger.

I successfully ordered .32 S&W Long from them around the time I started this thread. Other people have reported to me they placed an order for the same ammo, only to have Midway cancel it. They are so flaky about which ammo they will ship here and when that I really think it's best to leave them where they are. It is very possible that they're going by the ancient ammo list circa 1984(!!), or at least some of them are, and who knows what the others there are doing.

Glad to hear they got you your shotshells, chislinger.

Apparently they still won't allow the old "saturday night special" handgun rounds. But they seem to allow everything else now.

Howdy neighbor. I was just in 60625 this weekend picking up Baker Miller.

Interesting that Midway has not accepted a shotgun ammo order in the past. Did you have other ammo in your cart? I've ordered ammo several times from there without issues, including 12 gauge and .308. I'm pretty sure I've also ordered .45 Colt. If you try to order 9mm, .38/.357, .22, .45 ACP, and something like .25 ACP you get the error. It's whatever was called out by name in the Chicago ordinance from a couple of decades ago. Notice .40 S&W isn't listed? It was invented in 1990. That's how old it is. The ATF book of all laws still includes this ordinance, so that's what Midway follows. I believe the state's attorney is responsible for updating the ATF. Pretty sure she isn't likely to any time soon...

Yes, they still have that policy based on the ordinance that was repealed long ago.

• 1 month later...

Another Brownells update - friend received his 3 boxes of .223 - zip code 6063X

There was a coupon code for something like $10 off 75. He ordered a charging handle, didn't have enough to reach the $75 min so he decided to add the 3 boxes of ammo.

Many thanks, updated to indicate long gun ammo in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Brownells update - friend received his 3 boxes of .223 - zip code 6063X

There was a coupon code for something like $10 off 75. He ordered a charging handle, didn't have enough to reach the $75 min so he decided to add the 3 boxes of ammo.

Many thanks, updated to indicate long gun ammo in general.

Confirm handgun ammo for Brownells, I received my order.

• 1 month later...

I have a new one: https://www.exoticammo.com/

I've known the owner of that store for a long time from another forum that isn't gun-related at all. He doesn't have a lot of conventional ammo but does sell unusual ammo like flashbangs for shotguns, 12 gauge net shot for shooting down annoying drones, tracers, "less lethal" shotgun ammo, etc. Also sells his own brand of 37 mm flare launchers either stand-alone or as an AR attachment. I asked him today if I should add him to this list and he said "sure, add me".

I have a new one: https://www.exoticammo.com/

I've known the owner of that store for a long time from another forum that isn't gun-related at all. He doesn't have a lot of conventional ammo but does sell unusual ammo like flashbangs for shotguns, 12 gauge net shot for shooting down annoying drones, tracers, "less lethal" shotgun ammo, etc. Also sells his own brand of 37 mm flare launchers either stand-alone or as an AR attachment. I asked him today if I should add him to this list and he said "sure, add me".

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Ammo Supply Warehouse gets a +1 from this guy. First time order placed at 5pm on a Sunday night. Sent my email with FOID info for a Chicago resident right after I placed the order and received a reply (not automated it was a direct reply) from someone there within 15 minutes saying I was good to go. Awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Ammo Supply Warehouse gets a +1 from this guy. First time order placed at 5pm on a Sunday night. Sent my email with FOID info for a Chicago resident right after I placed the order and received a reply (not automated it was a direct reply) from someone there within 15 minutes saying I was good to go. Awesome.

I have purchased from them a couple times and both experiences were excellent.

Just tried to order from Mid South who I had ordered from several times in the past, and they suddenly can't ship to me based on "local law" but could not specify what law they were referring to. I asked for them to have a representative follow up and I'd be happy to set the record straight with them, but it looks like for now, they're not shipping to Chicago anymore.

I am SHOCKED if this is indeed true. I was going to order from them in a few weeks but I never had an issue either with them. I even made buddies with one of the ladies in the office and she was able to send all my ammo to my work address. I explained to her that I lived in a condo building that was not secure if a package was left and she had NO issue sending ammo to my work. She even told me to write "send business class" so that the package will not arrive on a Saturday or Sunday.

Let's not take the off our list just yet.

Their website won't allow me to order any ammo with a city address. I called and asked why, and that's what the woman told me. I have ordered from them before, and as I said, I asked what law they were referencing, and she said she didn't know. I won't hold my breath, but maybe they'll get back to me and it gets straightened out. It would be a shame to not be able to use them, and I won't shop with anyone who won't sell me ammo that is perfectly legal for me to purchase.

So Mid South just wrote me back, and apparently, all of these sites are all aggregating their data from Lucky Gunner, because that's literally what she sent me, a PDF that is from Lucky Gunner. It's in reference to Ordinance O2013-6015 which has been off the books for I believe 4 or 5 years.

Lucky Gunner needs to get leaned on to stop spreading false and incorrect information about what laws are not on the books, and haven't been for years.

So Mid South just wrote me back, and apparently, all of these sites are all aggregating their data from Lucky Gunner, because that's literally what she sent me, a PDF that is from Lucky Gunner. It's in reference to Ordinance O2013-6015 which has been off the books for I believe 4 or 5 years.

Lucky Gunner needs to get leaned on to stop spreading false and incorrect information about what laws are not on the books, and haven't been for years.

I cannot stand that guy! He is: smarmy, obstinate, and passive aggressive, and absolutely refuses to listen. My contacts with him date back to 2015, and though I sent him a copy of the updated ordinance, he simply refuses to look at it and keeps insisting the old, outdated ordinance is still in force. This same exact guy runs both Lucky Gunner and Bulkammo. I can't figure out if he has some kind of grudge against Chicago and this is how he gets his jollies, or if he's really this dense.

So, if people are suddenly changing their policy, I guess we know who to look at.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about the Lucky Gunner guy spreading misinformation. If you want to provide Mid South with updated info, here's a link to the OLD ordinance, which dates to 2013. The pertinent subsection is 8-20-100, appearing on page 6-7:

https://pic.datamade.us/chicago/document/?filename=O2013-6015&document_url=http://ord.legistar.com/Chicago/attachments/41a80b93-ff97-4113-8fd7-2f73b4992b16.pdf

In 2014, the city amended 8-20-100 further, which totally changed it to a ban on sales of weapons at gun shows, the below archived link shows the amendments Rahm Emanuel proposed and got passed:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161020134225/https://blogs.chicagotribune.com/files/chicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

The link to the official current Chicago code is below. Click and scroll down to 8-20-100:

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/chicago_il/title8offensesaffectingpublicpeacemorals/chapter8-20weapons?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0

Which says:

8-20-100 Sale or transfer of firearms at gun shows prohibited.

No firearm shall be sold or otherwise transferred by any person at a gun show. For purposes of this subsection, “gun show” means a temporary exhibit or gathering where firearms or ammunition are sold, leased, or otherwise transferred.
(Added Coun. J. 7-2-10, p. 96234, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 7-6-11, p. 3073, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 1-17-13, p. 45370, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 9-11-13, p. 59869, § 3; Amend Coun. J. 6-25-14, p. 83727, § 8)

I don't see a blasted thing about ammunition there!

Archived