Sig Sauer P290RS Review - Great for Those Who Have Trouble Racking a Slide

Craigcelia

At every one of our classes, we always have women asking about what type of firearm to purchase. Obviously this is going to depend on the individual. I have been telling our female students if they are concerned about the slide rack, the Sig Sauer P290RS is worth checking out.

First, my intention is not to be sexest. This is our personal review. Most women don't have the upper body strength as a man, this includes my own wife in racking the slide. Even some elderly people have trouble with this. The goal for us was to find her a firearm that fits her well and one that she can handle if God forbid, the situation ever presents itself. Hopefully we will never find out.

Since my wife has trouble racking the slide on most of my firearms, she decided to get one of her own for conceal carry. Not knowing which would be a good fit for her, we visited the most recent NRA show in Indianapolis where almost every major vendor would be present. While there, we spent hours walking around, checking out the magnitude of firearms. She checked her grip, concealability, frame, and wanted a .380 or above.

We settled on the Sig Sauer P290RS. It's a double action only, the finger to trigger placement was perfect. Best of all, this guns slide is the easiest to rack. Extreme little resistance. They make it in a 9MM and a .380. It comes with an extended magazine as well.

If anyone here is in the same boat with themselves or spouses having trouble racking a slide, I would recommend checking out this gun. Cost was $500 at Gat Guns, and this gun was so new on the market, we had to preorder it without knowing Gat's price. My wife carries it in her purse and also has a Can Can holster.

post-2398-0-97130400-1409339313_thumb.jpg

One of my buddies researched this to the Nth degree and concluded that the P238 (.380) model, at 15.2 ounces, was the perfect gun for his wife, who had a lot of difficulty with other guns, both in terms of racking and recoil. I don't know how Sig did it, with such a light weight firearm, but she's absolutely delighted. She can rack it all day long and loves to shoot it at the range. It's made a 180 degree difference in her entire gun experience.

FFL Mike Losacco in West Chicago can get these cheaper than GAT.

I got one with a bronze slide and slightly thicker grips. The only reservation I have is mine is ammo fussy. It runs 100% with federal HST and American Eagle (federal) ball. It's given me light strikes on other brands including MFS, Remington, Hornady and Speer.

Bobapunk has a holster mold so if anyone wants a custom holster he can make it.

Archived