Help choose the next RNC chairman

45superman

Tomorrow (Jan 5), there will be a debate among candidates for the Republican National Committee chairmanship. Folks need to hurry (since the debate is tomorrow), but if they register (quick and painless, with no sensitive information required) here, they can submit questions that will (hopefully) be asked of the aspirants to the RNC chair.

War on Guns has details.

By the way, once registered, in addition to submitting questions of your own, you can vote on some already submitted. "Yes" votes on the following three would be appreciated.

This one:

I want an unequivocal statement from each candidate on the right to keep and bear arms. I should note that Mr. Blackwell looks good*, and Mr. Steele's bizarre advocacy that "society should draw line" about the right to own semiautos** makes him about as acceptable to gun owners as Barack Obama. How about the rest of the field? No equivocation, please! It will be recognized and held against you. * "Gun Rights and Presidential Politics," Townhall.com, Nov. 26, 2007 ** Washington Post interview Oct 16, 2006

This one:

Like David Codrea (at Jan 4, 9:13 AM), I WILL NOT support a candidate in whom I have less than unshakable faith in his (or her) willingness to protect the right to keep and bear arms from government infringement. As Mr. Codrea pointed out, that would seem to eliminate Mr. Steele right from the beginning, and Mr. Blackwell, by virtue of having a strong answer on public record, is in the lead. Still, I would look at the other candidates, if they answered such a question.

And this one:

Are we going to get any sort of admission from any of the candidates that the Second Amendment ultimately isn't about hunting deer and ducks? Or that the term "military-style assault weapon" applies to every firearm in existence when it's all said and done? Or just more of the same? Keep in mind what that "more of the same" got us this election season.

The GOP has for too long not seen gun rights as a priority--this is a good mechanism by which that can be changed.

Are you willing to unequivocally support the Second Amendment, including: 1) Unequivocal opposition to any so-called "Assault Weapons Ban." 2) Opposition to any ban on magazine capacity, types of ammunition, etc. 3) Opposition to any attempt to subvert at a federal level state-approved concealed carry laws. 4) Support for concealed carry rights on a national level. 5) RELENTLESS opposition to any federal registration schemes, whether on firearms, ammunition, etc. The GOP has treated those of us "under the tent" because of Second Amendment issues as the "crazy uncles in the closet" for far too long! The GOP must embrace the Second Amendment if we are to embrace the GOP. Michael Bane Host & Producer SHOOTING GALLERY THE BEST DEFENSE

Michael Bane | PERMALINK | January 04, 2009 • 1:48PM | Q#: 630 | Vote TOTAL: 42

This one too.

Yeah--the list of questions that deserve a "Yes" vote has grown rather rapidly since I started this thread (David Codrea seems to have successfully lit a fire under many posteriors, mine included).

One question that needs a "No" vote is this one:

The NRA won the debate and not even the opposition is dumb enough to push gun control, yet far too many Republicans think the 2nd Amendment is the most critical issue. How do you take their enthusiasm and translate it into fighting on the issues that are in play?

Yeah--the list of questions that deserve a "Yes" vote has grown rather rapidly since I started this thread (David Codrea seems to have successfully lit a fire under many posteriors, mine included).

One question that needs a "No" vote is this one:

The NRA won the debate and not even the opposition is dumb enough to push gun control, yet far too many Republicans think the 2nd Amendment is the most critical issue. How do you take their enthusiasm and translate it into fighting on the issues that are in play?

Registered and voted.

AB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still annoyed at how that worked out. We managed to get a bunch of people on board, who asked some very good questions about each candidate's stance on protecting gun rights--and what question did the debate moderator ask? "How many guns do you own (I didn't even see that as one of the questions offered)?" As if that means anything. Ron Paul apparently doesn't own any, but who has been a stronger gun rights advocate in Congress? Lon Horiuchi probably owns a bunch--should he be a hero of the gun rights movement?

And the RNC wonders why the GOP is getting its rear end handed to it :whistle:.

Archived