Supreme Court Justice Kennedy is retiring!

Retiredguns

Not sure what positions Heitkamp, Tester, or Donnelly have taken, but I have never seen Manchin make any effort to make me believe he is pro-2A.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's not that Manchin or any of these candidates are pro-gun, it's that it is an election year and their constituents are very pro-gun. Essentially, if you get a pro-gun judicial nominee especially one who you can get through without other baggage such that you can probably do it with just republican support, then you put them (Manchin, etc....) into a position where if they vote with their heart or their party then they tick off the majority of their constituents, and thus increase the chances that their republican challenger will win the election. If they fold and vote for the nominee, then you've lost nothing and can point to bipartisan support for your nominee. Just a way to use the appointment process to either gain a senate seat of two or to cement consensus on appointment.

Of course this works the opposite way if the Republicans go open overturn Roe v Wade then they set themselves up to lose senate seats and probably lose the chance to get the nominee confirmed. They won't do that. The closest they will come is to nominate a pig in a poke candidate with no real judicial record but the hope that they would overturn Roe v Wade and that they would also be conservative on other issues - that is a stupid way to go as you could end up with a Bork, Souter, Kennedy, or Roberts type again. But then again both parties are very adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

So far my research says Kavanaugh, Lee, Hardiman, and now Kethledge (though that's just a single opinion I read so not as sure as on the others) are supposed to be solid on the 2nd amendment. So those are 4 out of the seven. Barrett no record on 2nd, Thapar don't have any information on regarding 2nd yet and I don't have a solid name for the reported seventh candidate.

Here's hoping whoever is nominated is strong on the 2nd like Thomas and that Roberts turns out not to be the weak sister on the 2nd some suspect.

So far my research says Kavanaugh, Lee, Hardiman, and now Kethledge (though that's just a single opinion I read so not as sure as on the others) are supposed to be solid on the 2nd amendment. So those are 4 out of the seven. Barrett no record on 2nd, Thapar don't have any information on regarding 2nd yet and I don't have a solid name for the reported seventh candidate.

Here's hoping whoever is nominated is strong on the 2nd like Thomas and that Roberts turns out not to be the weak sister on the 2nd some suspect.

You can NEVER trust Roberts Ever

His swing vote made Obamafailurecare Constitutional

You can NEVER trust Roberts Ever

His swing vote made Obamafailurecare Constitutional

This. He took the left's POLITICAL LINE hook, line and sinker, and wrongfully decided a society-changing case for political reasons. He's another Kennedy. And we know Barrett is pro-life -- and only because she is an extraordinarily devout Catholic. We have no freaking clue what she thinks about the 2A, and neither does Trump. Please, God, make the numbskull pick Kavenaugh. The left is going insane attacking Barrett; Trump, the playground brawler, might just select her just to show them that they can't tell him what to do. We can't afford this childish bull****!!!

I do know that the pro-life groups are putting out negative articles and hit pieces on any nominee other that Barrett that they believe is a threat to get the nomination. If you ask me they are sabotaging their choice by doing so and by being so vocal about Barrett being anti-Roe v Wade. The democrats are already using Barrett's name in fund raising and to stir up their base and frighten independents. I don't even think she could get confirmed at this point, the pro-lifers have in my opinion screwed themselves over. But who knows what Trump will do? He said he won't make Roe v Wade an issue and the pro-life groups are going full bore promoting one candidate as a vote against Roe v Wade. I don't think anyone really knows what Barrett would do, she has as yet virtually no record as a judge. I hope Trump goes with a judge with a reliable record on supporting the 2nd amendment. The rest is gravy. Barrett might be a great judge but her supporters have made her radioactive at this point in their zeal. The latest scuttlebutt is that Kethledge is the hot favorite today, but we'll only know when Trump announces his choice.

I do know that the pro-life groups are putting out negative articles and hit pieces on any nominee other that Barrett that they believe is a threat to get the nomination. If you ask me they are sabotaging their choice by doing so and by being so vocal about Barrett being anti-Roe v Wade. The democrats are already using Barrett's name in fund raising and to stir up their base and frighten independents. I don't even think she could get confirmed at this point, the pro-lifers have in my opinion screwed themselves over. But who knows what Trump will do? He said he won't make Roe v Wade an issue and the pro-life groups are going full bore promoting one candidate as a vote against Roe v Wade. I don't think anyone really knows what Barrett would do, she has as yet virtually no record as a judge. I hope Trump goes with a judge with a reliable record on supporting the 2nd amendment. The rest is gravy. Barrett might be a great judge but her supporters have made her radioactive at this point in their zeal. The latest scuttlebutt is that Kethledge is the hot favorite today, but we'll only know when Trump announces his choice.

The radical right is as looney and irrational as the radical left. Putting out hit pieces on conservative judges up for possible nomination is crazy, especially when it's to push a candidate who is not qualified, an unknown quantity other than the single, narrow issue which is all these asshats care about, and is now national Kryptonite. Do these loons know what her stance is on the Second Amendment? No. On the First Amendment? No. On the Fourth Amendment? Other than the magical "right to privacy," No. I doubt they care. It seems as if they'd settle for a communist dictatorship, so long as it meant the overturn of Roe vs. Wade. They're no better than the looney pro "immigrant" left.

3 minutes until the next liberal meltdown.

If there is to be another civil war, I have a feeling it will be on a 3rd pick for SCOTUS by the presiding POTUS. If a 4th pick ends up in the ranks as Trump has presumed watch out lol.

Roberts resumes Kennedy's role at swing vote, so we are guaranteed a balanced court for awhile. Gonna take one more to have a constitutionally based court for the rest of my lifetime. All the more reason to vote conservative in 2018 midterms and 2020.

Cruz or Gowdy would be good choices, but age does matter.

A young conservative, strong on supporting and defending the Constitution as the founders intended would be best. Young so they can hopefully serve a very long time.

Cruz could never get confirmed. The Republicans are just not that collectively smart. Gowdy, maybe.

Just need simple majority.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived