What Powers Does Gov. Have in Emergencies?

Molly B.

So... to sum up:

1. The topic is "what powers does gov have in emergencies."
  2. There is a good case that the Governor's Emergency Declaration is unlawful. You don't get to do this on the basis of someone's untested, untestable model. no emergency authority
  3. even now, there is no epidemic. No emergency authority
  4. The climate scientist who spawned these hysterical predictions has said, basically: "Oops, my bad. Sorry for crashing your economies."
  5. Life is good, gun shops are open, and this will pass.

You ignore recent statements by the President, WHO, CDC, and advice from numerous other experts in the fields of public health, epidemiology, virology, etc.

You disregard opinions of various Supreme Courts over decades concerning the authority of state government during medical crises.

Yet, you present no reference to court decisions or medical articles to support your claims.

I only bother to respond now in hope that others will recognize the foolishness of your declarations.

Of course, we all have been foolish at one time or another.

Only (5) on my list is opinion and an expression of my optimism. the other four points are fact. Statement of fact is not "foolish." B

i don't know what you are disputing. there *is* no epidemic in Illinois. There are some sick people, some of whom will die. That is a personal tragedy, not a valid reason to bequeath my rights or ability to earn a living to the government.

Have a great day!

We now have a case in Mt Vernon due to a person from Texas traveling home from Chicago. Apparently this person became ill as he reached our area and was admitted to a local hospital. Now anyone he was in contact with has been alerted and now are in isolation , just in case.

The question is , how many people did he interact with along that route that have no idea he was sick and now are potential carriers. I feel that no one should be traveling outside their area while this is going on.

whatever powers it wants to , that is a strange question.

yes, if you live to the 'later', you can later challenge it in court (like detention of Japanese Americans during WWII). However, right now, government can (and will ) do whatever it wants.

I am more concerned about permanent surveillance state that we are creeping into , all for your own safety of cause...

Maybe the UK numbers are low because:

1) It's an island.

2) Brexit - many europeans may be leaving the UK and or not commuting or traveling for business.

P.S. I haven't confirmed that the UK numbers are low according to predictions.

The UK right now is the 5th best (among the nations with the most confirmed cases). They have a death rate of 15.16/million. The United States has a rate of 6.74/million, Germany 5.17/million, South Korea 2.97/million, and China 2.29/million (if you believe them, I do not). Italy meanwhile is at 165.71/million.

The UK is doing better than most of continental Europe, but is quite a bit worse than the US. We're slightly slowing down in our death rate growth. Hopefully that's a trend, not just a fluctuation. Deaths are a lagging indicator, so any results of "social distancing" will take time to affect it.

Somebody mentioned the Netherlands. They have a 37.37/million death rate. Only Spain and Italy are worse.

Regarding the UK -- they've been pretty slow to report numbers. They had reported 578 total deaths on the 26th, none on the 27th, and then on the 28th they were suddenly up to 1028 total dead.

To put these rates in context. We have 2227 dead. If we had deaths at the rate of the UK, we'd have 5012 dead today. At the Italian rate, 54768.

If our death rate continues to grow at the same rate as March 28 (27%), we'll have 28000 dead by April 8th.

Okay, the worst rate is Italy, so let's take that... 165/per 1M x 327M(USA pop)= 54,000 dead. That's a huge number, but to put it in perspective, 1.25M die in traffic accidents in the US every year, or how about the 840,678 that die from hart issues. What's my point? While I will do everything in my power not to add to the death toll, we could use some perspective. We accept the 1.25 Million that will die on the roads every year, and even increase the speed limits, knowing that this will increase that number, but you have a new event, we have no point of reference and you can't get a friggn roll of toilet paper, and stay in your home and and and.....

If it's all about saving lives than, we should all turn our cars in for bicycles, or the national speed limit should be 50mph, there, we saved a million lives.

Don't take this wrong, I think one life matters, I'm just trying to outline that the freakout/panic/hysteria associated here is because it's an unknown and people don't deal well unknowns.

JQ

A traffic accident is an isolated incident, even when multiple vehicles are involved.

Each vehicle does not cause several more vehicles to have accidents, in which each vehicle causes several more vehicle to have accidents with several more vehicles, etc., etc.

A wreck in New York is not going to spread to Kansas.

A traffic accident is an isolated incident, even when multiple vehicles are involved.

Each vehicle does not cause several more vehicles to have accidents, in which each vehicle causes several more vehicle to have accidents with several more vehicles, etc., etc.

A wreck in New York is not going to spread to Kansas.

Sure seems like it did on 9/11, but that's not what I was trying to say and I think you know it.

Archived