Some Chicago-style policing tactics in Connecticut. A few bad apples, or is the whole bunch starting to get rotten?

This came up in my inbox this morning, telling the tale of Connecticut police officers breaking multiple laws to harass an open-carry and freedom advocate engaging in protected First Amendment activities:

Police ‘Gotta Cover Our a**’ on Open Carry

It's incidents like this that are starting to put the lie to the hackneyed refrain of "It's only a few bad apples; most of the police aren't corrupt."

What these officers are doing, and what numerous other "caught on tape" incidents are showing, is that police officers are regularly engaging in deprivation of rights under color of law, which should start to be prosecuted to the absolute fullest extent in order to ensure that these "few bad apples" are removed from any position of law enforcement before they taint the whole barrel.

At what point do police officers realize that due to the prevalence of easy videorecording technology, they can't get away with this stuff anymore? Shouldn't it be like criminals and concealed carry, where it becomes a deterrent?

I think that ruthless and tireless prosecution through Federal charges needs to be the policy with incidents like this. In addition, the officers themselves should be liable for any civil judgments against them, with a determination of the minimum they need for subsistence living, and their entire rest of their paychecks being given to the victim.

Any really honorable and ethical police officer would agree with that, because their vocation should make them despise lawbreakers among their ranks even more than the public should, due to the damage it does to the reputation of the police and the difficulty it adds to them being able to do their jobs.

You can find literally thousands of these videos on Youtube, some of which will really make your blood boil. It makes you wonder how many incidences are NOT captured on video (probably ten times as many).

It's hard to weed out the bad apples. It might be that only 50% of cops are "bad", but then you need to factor in the other 50% who refuse to speak up or take action when they see their fellow officers committing an abuse. Nothing is ever said and it's always covered up.

Here's another good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3dxbwd60rI

The thin blue line marks where the iron curtain is. I'm related to a couple officers, and I don't believe them to be bad apples, but the police organizations work for the state, not us. When things go bad, they have state backing and funding, along with the state run "justice" system. Only now, in the era of information do they get held accountable, because of public outrage. I'm not talking the Ferguson style craziness... If you have deadly force as an option, in fact being specifically state authorized to use said force, you need to be held to higher standards.

The important lesson is that the police are never, under any circumstance, to be trusted. They are concerned with arrests and enforcing the law, not with justice, and neither is the justice system.

I may anger a lot of people with my comments, but they are my opinion.

You can find literally thousands of these videos on Youtube, some of which will really make your blood boil. It makes you wonder how many incidences are NOT captured on video (probably ten times as many).

It's hard to weed out the bad apples. It might be that only 50% of cops are "bad", but then you need to factor in the other 50% who refuse to speak up or take action when they see their fellow officers committing an abuse. Nothing is ever said and it's always covered up.

Here's another good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3dxbwd60rI

Yeah - I've seen that video before - really out of control, unwarranted and the cop is acting like an idiot.

I cannot believe he drew his weapon - what PD teaches officers to confront citizens in that way?

I still say the militarization of LE through equipment and training practices has caused an "us against them" attitude and it's getting worse.

I'd hope that things would improve, but I doubt they will.

Archived