Aurora Gun Laws

Bob Lee Swagger

I have to agree with the above. It's the buyer's responsibility to determine the legality of where he takes the weapon. That's out of your control. If you made the sale within a jurisdiction where it's not allowed, that could be a problem.

That being said, I think LEOs enjoy a lot of exemptions from the laws the rest of us have to live by. It's pretty sucky.

Aurora has their gun laws - and I can tell you as a resident that most of them mean nothing and are totally feckless and never enforced.

It's super frustrating as I'd love to own some banned rifles, but I feel like I'd have absolutely no excuse if I got caught with them. It seems the laws exist just so they can throw the book at you if you're involved in a crime using an AR-15 or something, but if you're just taking your gun to the range... *sigh*

Do you have any idea what the closest thing to an AR-15 we can have here in Aurora?

Aurora has their gun laws - and I can tell you as a resident that most of them mean nothing and are totally feckless and never enforced.

It's super frustrating as I'd love to own some banned rifles, but I feel like I'd have absolutely no excuse if I got caught with them. It seems the laws exist just so they can throw the book at you if you're involved in a crime using an AR-15 or something, but if you're just taking your gun to the range... *sigh*

Do you have any idea what the closest thing to an AR-15 we can have here in Aurora?

It looks like Aurora used the old definition of an "assault weapon" that Bill used during the National AWB days. According to the Aurora Municipal City Code, section 29-49(B)(h)(2)(B):

Any semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine that can hold more than eight (8) rounds or an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two (2) of the following:

A folding or telescoping stock;

A pistol grip that protrudes beneath the action of the weapon and which is separate and apart from the stock;

A bayonet mount;

A flash suppressor;

A barrel with a threaded muzzle;

A grenade launcher.

So, if you get a fixed stock AR with no bayonet mount and an unthreaded barrel with no flash suppressor, you should be fine (unless you really wanted to mount that grenade launcher). Or, you could get one of those funky-looking "New York-compliant AR-15's"

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/4.jpg

and keep your flash suppressor.

The only other issue is the hard and fast prohibition on standard-capacity mags. The most you can have in Aurora is 15 rounds (I guess Thermold, at least, sells a 15 round mag, but I've never seen one in person).

Tavor, FN Scar - or anything else that was made after 1992 that is not on their stupid list that enumerates what they defined as an "Assault Weapon" back then.

Or AR-15 and don't give a hoot about a little dumb local ordinance that defines a misdemeanor that is never enforced - no one else does.

But the first rule of fight club is...

Tavor, FN Scar - or anything else that was made after 1992 that is not on their stupid list that enumerates what they defined as an "Assault Weapon" back then.

Or AR-15 and don't give a hoot about a little dumb local ordinance that defines a misdemeanor that is never enforced - no one else does.

Tavors have a flash hider, and I'd think the grip qualifies as a pistol grip, as it's not really part of the stock. And the 18" versions have the bayonet lug.

Scars have the pistol grip, flash hider, folding AND telescoping stock...

Tavors have a flash hider, and I'd think the grip qualifies as a pistol grip, as it's not really part of the stock. And the 18" versions have the bayonet lug.

Scars have the pistol grip, flash hider, folding AND telescoping stock...

Well then nothing I guess. You get nothing. No guns for you!

I'm going back to fight club.

Aurora law needs to be a target of ISRA and/or NRA. I BELIEVE that JR's even sells AR's.

Yep, they do- You just can't have "Aurora, IL" on any of your ID and they'll be more than happy to sell you one. It's my understanding that anything that is regulated as a pistol (so, basically, anything with a 72 hour waiting period) is now covered by the Illinois state CCW preemption *including* magazine limitations? So, in theory, shouldn't it be pretty clear what you can and can't have as if it's a pistol with a 72 hour waiting period that is sold in Illinois you can own it in Aurora? Including but not limited to totally ridiculous stuff like this AK-47 "pistol" which just an AK without a stock?

I'd really love to get this clarified once and for all, I've talked to local lawyers who are like "I don't know anything about guns call the police," the police being like, "We have gun bans?" and the people at JR being happy to sell you basically anything that isn't specifically on the banned list like a Beretta CX4 Storm and similar carbines which I believe would be a rifle that has things that aren't allowed? When you just want to be a responsible gun owner, and follow the law, but have such difficulty it's... pretty stupid. Particularly as no one actually committing crime in Aurora is like, "Oh **** we better unscrew our flash hiders." ...But, preaching to the choir here.

Any semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine that can hold more than eight (8) rounds or an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two (2) of the following:

A folding or telescoping stock;

A pistol grip that protrudes beneath the action of the weapon and which is separate and apart from the stock;

A bayonet mount;

A flash suppressor;

A barrel with a threaded muzzle;

A grenade launcher. LMAO :laugh: Who REALLY even has access to one...

JRs sells ARs as long as you don't live in Aurora, same goes for handguns that hold more than 15 rounds. Move across the street in Oswego and your good to go. Go figure.

The way I read the law is that is illegal to sell or possess in Aurora. How does JR sell legally?

Sec. 29-49. - Transfer or possession of assault ammunition or assault weapons.

(a)

No person shall sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity ammunition feeding

JRs sells ARs as long as you don't live in Aurora, same goes for handguns that hold more than 15 rounds. Move across the street in Oswego and your good to go. Go figure.

The way I read the law is that is illegal to sell or possess in Aurora. How does JR sell legally?

(a)

No person shall sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity ammunition feeding

https://www2.municode.com/library/il/aurora/code_of_ordinances/toc

Cause nobody cares about this garbage antiquated "townie" ordinance. Frankly we don't care enough to have it ripped off the books. It's never been enforced not once in any way that I know

It is a relic from the 1986 era. Yes, it is very wrong but nobody cares anymore round these parts.

(a)

No person shall sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity ammunition feedinghttps://www2.municode.com/library/il/aurora/code_of_ordinances/toc

Cause nobody cares about this garbage antiquated "townie" ordinance. Frankly we don't care enough to have it ripped off the books. It's never been enforced not once in any way that I know

It is a relic from the 1986 era. Yes, it is very wrong but nobody cares anymore round these parts.

I agree, but that's not the point. You shouldn't have to worry about an antiquated law. You shouldn't have to deal with retailers not selling you an AR or accessories for your AR. The law needs to go away.

I agree, but that's not the point. You shouldn't have to worry about an antiquated law. You shouldn't have to deal with retailers not selling you an AR or accessories for your AR. The law needs to go away.

I wish there was a good way to make some noise about this, but in working with my alderman and other city officials on unrelated stuff I don't even need to bring it up to know that me being like "Hey this AR ban is real stupid," their response will be, "It's preventing crime! You don't want to prevent crime???"

Archived