March for Our Rights - Saturday, July 7th, Chicago

Molly B.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 05:23 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 05:23 AM - No reason given

Chicago is enemy territory. The low turnout is due to that. We are not going to change minds there. Ill bring up the Marengo shooting range town hall again, as 200 people showed up to that. Focus on areas where you have a chance on making an impact (suburbs), not in enemy territory. No one that is indifferent and wanted to learn attended that event, I can guarantee it. It was a bust because Chicago is gone, plain and simple.

Going forward, these groups need to focus on areas that are borderline left/right. Attempt to gain support from people in the middle. Fighting for gun rights in Chicago and expecting support is like a straight guy going to a gay bar to find a woman. It happens, but its rare

Nope, turnout was due to the inexperience of the organizers in getting the word out in their "targeted" area, compounded by the expense of parking nearby for those coming from longer distances.

- thus the location of Millennium Park shoulders some of the blame.

It's not like they had several deep pocket and experienced organizations all warmed up and tense in the starter's block, ready to sprint when the appropriate tragedy occurred.

In fact had ISRA, NRA etc done something like that, criticisms would be instant and furious.

Also the group was shunted OFF the planned meeting area ahead of the announced time, so others arriving slightly later had absolutely NO clue of where or even IF something was going on.

I found them only by luck, happenstance and deduction.

The security personnel were absolutely useless in my experience today.

The maintenance personnel roping off the entire grassy area had NO idea WHY they got an abrupt order to rope off the grass.

There was a small rental stage that I thought was theirs, but short observation showed it was being taken DOWN...

YEAH - I was THERE. Later than I wanted, but definitely before the 11 am start time.

There were people from far away, there were several from IGOT.

I put OUR crowd during Rhonda's speech closer to 50, not 35. I had brought 120 signs just in case.

Colin FitzSimmons, 13, of Algonquin, Illinois, spoke at the Chicago rally, sounding alarms that liberal gun-control efforts really want to "to disarm the populace." People held signs reading "we're not going away" and "take back gun rights."

That proves I was there... (lol)

Chicago is enemy territory. The low turnout is due to that. We are not going to change minds there. Ill bring up the Marengo shooting range town hall again, as 200 people showed up to that. Focus on areas where you have a chance on making an impact (suburbs), not in enemy territory. No one that is indifferent and wanted to learn attended that event, I can guarantee it. It was a bust because Chicago is gone, plain and simple.

Going forward, these groups need to focus on areas that are borderline left/right. Attempt to gain support from people in the middle. Fighting for gun rights in Chicago and expecting support is like a straight guy going to a gay bar to find a woman. It happens, but its rare

Nope, turnout was due to the inexperience of the organizers in getting the word out in their "targeted" area, compounded by the expense of parking nearby for those coming from longer distances.

- thus the location of Millennium Park shoulders some of the blame.

It's not like they had several deep pocket and experienced organizations all warmed up and tense in the starter's block, ready to sprint when the appropriate tragedy occurred.

In fact had ISRA, NRA etc done something like that, criticisms would be instant and furious.

Also the group was shunted OFF the planned meeting area ahead of the announced time, so others arriving slightly later had absolutely NO clue of where or even IF something was going on.

I found them only by luck, happenstance and deduction.

The security personnel were absolutely useless in my experience today.

The maintenance personnel roping off the entire grassy area had NO idea WHY they got an abrupt order to rope off the grass.

There was a small rental stage that I thought was theirs, but short observation showed it was being taken DOWN...

YEAH - I was THERE. Later than I wanted, but definitely before the 11 am start time.

There were people from far away, there were several from IGOT.

I put OUR crowd during Rhonda's speech closer to 50, not 35. I had brought 120 signs just in case.

Colin FitzSimmons, 13, of Algonquin, Illinois, spoke at the Chicago rally, sounding alarms that liberal gun-control efforts really want to "to disarm the populace." People held signs reading "we're not going away" and "take back gun rights."

That proves I was there... (lol)
thank you going, and good post

You raise good points. A place like Chicago is chosen because it potentially promises more media access. But, the Chicago media will not necessarily play along even if it is a larger event.

In retrospect Northbrook, Deerfield or Highland Park could have been sites.

You raise good points. A place like Chicago is chosen because it potentially promises more media access. But, the Chicago media will not necessarily play along even if it is a larger event.

Deerfield would have been great. Easier access for people in the suburbs (and symbolic as well)

THis. Stem the tide, constrict the city on all sides. Additionally, at least one Federal rep and a couple of state reps live there.

But, it needs to be funded, to get permits, mics, speakers a venue etc.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 05:26 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 05:26 AM - No reason given

THis. Stem the tide, constrict the city on all sides. Additionally, at least one Federal rep and a couple of state reps live there.

But, it needs to be funded, to get permits, mics, speakers a venue etc.

Agree 100%. Maybe we can organize another event of our own in the near future (paging ISRA). A suburban location will have a much higher turnout

Ten years ago ISRA and IllinoisCarry.com did SAFR. (Second Amendment Freedom Rally).

We did it on the courtyard of the Thompson building (Illinois State Building),
with appropriate fees.

We did it on a weekday, when passersby were available at lunchtime.
We celebrated the Heller decision, and introduced the McDonald plaintiffs.

We did it a few more years after that, too, then it kind of petered out.
The last time we did it, however, we had a permit to march.
And march we did, around City Hall.

I still remember the expression on the CPD Lt's face when he commented that we weren't going to march or anything like that?

...and I produced the permit.

Ten years ago ISRA and IllinoisCarry.com did SAFR. (Second Amendment Freedom Rally).

with appropriate fees.

I still remember the expression on the CPD Lt's face when he commented that we weren't going to march or anything like that?

THAT march around City Hall with all my signs was one of the best days of my life!!

my first Second Amendment Freedom Rally was on Friday, July 11, 2008

my second Second Amendment Freedom Rally was on Friday, June 26, 2009 and that was the one with the march around Chicago's City Hall.

with appropriate fees.

That was a wonderful day! I’ve got a great photo of a CPD officer coming up and shaking Otis McDonalds hand.

It was too bad it petered out.

Archived