Is my IL training certificate good for Florida permit?

armadroid

And you need a special fingerprint card right? Anywhere you can get that locally? I am near Naperville.

https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/forms/FormsRequest790.aspx

Call your local police department and ask them if they do finger print cards,

If not, call neighboring departments till you find one that does

I looked into Florida a few years ago. At the time, the fingerprint cards had to come from them (they will send them to you free) and the fingerprinting must be done by a law enforcement agency. Illinois training certificate is good for their training requirement. Not sure if any of this has changed. Hope this helps. Bottom line is to check with them.

Yes. Your IL training certificate will be fine. I was in Tampa on business in October of 2017 and did it in person while I was there. My IL certificate and proof of ID were all I needed. The took my pic, did electronic fingerprints, and scanned my certificate. $97 and 20 minutes later, I was back in the rental car. That was on a Thursday morning, My FL permit arrived in the mail on Saturday of the following week...9 days total. It's valid for 7 years.

My certificate is from 2014 and only lists the IL FCCL. I have been told this is still valid for Florida?

Your Illinois training certificate will be good for Florida.

Although they did make a change a few years back and now require your ISP Certificate to have your instructors NRA number attached. Most people from what I have heard, just write the Instructors NRA number on the certificate. Why they made the change I don't know.

You can contact the Florida Department of Agriculture who governs their conceal carry process and request them to send you a packet which contains all of the information you need to apply for their permit including the fingerprint cards.

Is an Illinois FCCL proof of training since you had to take a 16 hour course to get it? The trainer I took my training with has moved out of Illinois and I have no address for him.

Yes it is. Read the post above for more information.

If you just happen to have an NRA Basic Pistol Certificate, that will work as well.

I just received my Florida CCL a few weeks ago, and yes your IL Training Certificate is sufficient.

I've seen others mention that they require your instructors NRA number. I'm not sure if this is the same as the Instructor ID Number already printed on the certificate, but I did not need to provide them any additional information aside from what was already on my certificate.

Also, as others have mentioned, you must use their required fingerprint cards which you can requested from their website (https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/forms/FormsRequest790.aspx). They must be done at a Police Dept, and the fingerprint card must be filled out exactly as stated in the instructions https://laso.freshfromflorida.com/documentTemplates/LASO_FP_Instructions.pdf

The never used to need the NRA ID of the instructor, but I have had several students say they were rejected because of it and I called the DOA and the person I spoke with said, it was indeed needed. It might be a matter of who processes it and what they need. Sometimes the right doesn't know what the let is doing. To be on the safe side, I give my NRA ID to all my students and tell them to write it on the top of their Il CC cert.

Can someone clarify if an NRA Basic Pistol cert (with a shooting qualification level listed on the cert) qualifies for a Florida permit as well (I have the IL CCL cert but instructor didn't write their NRA # on it)?

Approved Training Courses

To qualify for a concealed weapon license, Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm. A copy of a Certificate of Completion or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

• Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • Any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Thanks guys. One more (logistical) thing, do you have to request to have an application mailed to you or can you just print out/send in the downloadable form for an out of state permit? And I've heard you can do livescan prints at a station in lieu of the fingerprint card?

Many have given you good advice, but it is best to verify the information yourself.

This is Florida site.

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License

I believe that electronic prints have to be done in Florida. Some here have done them when in Florida for business or pleasure. The site only mentions using Florida electronic fingerprint facilities.

“Florida law requires applicants for the concealed weapon license to have their fingerprints taken at a law enforcement agency. Electronic fingerprint scanning services are available at almost all of the 67 county sheriffs' offices and even some local police departments throughout the state”.

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Applying-for-a-Concealed-Weapon-License/Submitting-Fingerprints-Electronically-for-a-Concealed-Weapon-License-FAQ

You could also try contacting their department.

New Application for Concealed Weapon or Firearm License

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Division of Licensing

P.O. Box 6687

Tallahassee, FL 32314-6687

(850) 245-5691

(850) 245-5655 Fax

Thanks guys. One more (logistical) thing, do you have to request to have an application mailed to you or can you just print out/send in the downloadable form for an out of state permit? And I've heard you can do livescan prints at a station in lieu of the fingerprint card?

Many have given you good advice, but it is best to verify the information yourself.

This is Florida site.

I believe that electronic prints have to be done in Florida. Some here have done them when in Florida for business or pleasure. The site only mentions using Florida electronic fingerprint facilities.

“Florida law requires applicants for the concealed weapon license to have their fingerprints taken at a law enforcement agency. Electronic fingerprint scanning services are available at almost all of the 67 county sheriffs' offices and even some local police departments throughout the state”.

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Applying-for-a-Concealed-Weapon-License/Submitting-Fingerprints-Electronically-for-a-Concealed-Weapon-License-FAQ

Division of Licensing

P.O. Box 6687

(850) 245-5691

(850) 245-5655 Fax

I believe Quiet Observer is correct, especially about always verifying information for yourself. The Florida folks have always been helpful and responsive.

For my first Florida Permit I wanted one signed/authorized by Katherine Harris, FL Secretary of State during the 2000 Gore v Bush recount. I delayed and instead got a Charles Bronson. Not a bad substitute!

This is Florida site.

Division of Licensing

P.O. Box 6687

(850) 245-5691

(850) 245-5655 Fax

Ah ok, thanks. I'll probably just request the card then head over to Niles to get them done (I think they charge ~$25 or so if I remember correctly).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Fingerprint Card Instructions for All Out-of-State Residents and Florida Residents for whom electronic fingerprint services are not available:

1. Your fingerprints must be taken by a Law Enforcement Agency.

2. You must submit a complete and legible set of fingerprints on an original Fingerprint Card.

My take on this is an original Fingerprint Card could come from your local Law Enforcement Agency. Has anyone done it this way?

Fingerprint Card Instructions for All Out-of-State Residents and Florida Residents for whom electronic fingerprint services are not available:

1. Your fingerprints must be taken by a Law Enforcement Agency.

2. You must submit a complete and legible set of fingerprints on an original Fingerprint Card.

My take on this is an original Fingerprint Card could come from your local Law Enforcement Agency. Has anyone done it this way?

When I did my renewal a few years ago Florida sent me the print cards and I had my local PD take them for me.

Get the cards from Florida. They're free and you don't have to worry about rejection.

Request at least two and have two sets done at the PD. Send in both with your application. Less likely to reject for bad prints.

I had mine done at Niles PD. You get two sets for $20 or whatever they charge. Very courteous and professional opperation there. You have to call to schedule though.

Re: notarization on the app, I think they used to require it so some old apps and instructions mention it. The current app does not require notarization.

Archived