3 Month Wait for Moving Truck?

chancemccall

I read an article the other day on the web that showed that Illinois had the greatest rate of people leaving the state of any state in the union. The percentage number bantied about was 63.4% of the population leaving the state. At first glance it seemed like an inordinate number of people leaving, especally for those of us that were stable and secure in Illinois. Taken at face value, it would indicate that Illinois would be all but empty after a few years. But after careful consideration, there is probably a portion of the demographic that moves more frequently than the average member of this forum. Additionally, with the influx of illegals, the exodus is offset and to the average observer does not appear as severe.

My first thought was of producers in society can't be offset by the takers, but that seems a little racist. I'm sure a lot of the illegals entering Illinois are hardworking salesmen of pharmaceuticals.

For those of you who want facts vs. noise.... Truck and rail freight have been tightening for a decade or more. All sorts of global, national and North American factors are driving this but it boils down to supply and demand. The pool of long haul/over the road truck drivers has been steadily declining. The average driver age is pushing 60. While we all hear how good the money is for experienced drivers, the entry level money is not that great. Itâs hard work, lots of time away, higher risks and responsibilities than most folks want. More people want to sleep in their own bed. New electronic vehicle logging requirements (great for safety - drivers and those who share the road) have effectively reduced entire system capacity by about 17%. Things we need to keep the world moving (food, fuel, clothing, building materials, name your favorite) tend to get prioritized. Moving companies contracted to corporate relos get prioritization. Throw in fun things like hurricanes and FEMA paying $5000 to deliver a truckload of bottled water from Georgia to Florida and independent household moves fall to the very bottom of everybodyâs list. In the end, price serves as a throttle to balance supply and demand. If you want to move faster, you can. It will cost more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the constant barrage of reporting, and perhaps even actual eventual threat of automation, keeping younger folks from getting into the career. Not to mention, certain generations, seem to thik they should have a fgreat standard of living, handed to them.

Archived