Under Board review

Crews1

Please help, I applied for my CCL in June 2020, it has been under board review. I received 2 letters saying they need another 30 days. Yes, I was arrested in 2002. What should I do know?

IANAL and havent experienced this, but I dont think theres much you can do until you receive the letter telling you which LE agency objected and for what cause asking for your response.

The board will do one of two things - it will overrule the objection and your license will be issued or it will inform you as to which agency objected and why along with a request for you to respond to the board with a written statement - after which your application will be approved or denied.

The board is supposed to review the objection and issue a decision within 30 days and can ask for one additional 30 day period to review the objection. However, this is Illinois and the CCL Review has been running a backlog since Oct. 2019. I heard yesterday from an applicant who was under board review since Nov. 2019 and received numerous letters saying they needed another 30 days. As of this last weekend, he received his CCL in the mail. Leads me to believe you could have a wait of several months before you hear anything.

If you do receive a letter from the CCL Review Board requesting a response from you, we have a topic on the forum with suggestions on replying.

• 4 months later...

My status has changed from under board review to under review. I think this is a good thing? I have responded to the objection back in January but have only received letters requesting 30 more days. I have yet to receive anything this month though. I'd imagine if I were denied it would indicate as such on the website, or am I missing something?

My status has changed from under board review to under review. I think this is a good thing? I have responded to the objection back in January but have only received letters requesting 30 more days. I have yet to receive anything this month though. I'd imagine if I were denied it would indicate as such on the website, or am I missing something?

This is great news and means the review board has decided to overrule the objection. You should see your status change to active and be receiving your CCL in the next 30 days or so.

• 10 months later...

I applied for my CCL 9-2021 and I finally got an email 01/3/2022 saying my status has changed and to check my account. When I went into my dashboard it says my application had an objection from a police department. I have never gotten an official letter in the mail in regards to this. 

Do they have to send an official letter in the mail?

How long legally do they have from the date of the status change to approve or deny my application? 

If they surpass the legal time frame under the board review to approve my application what can I legally do to fight back and get it approved?

Yes, they do usually send a notification letter but if you selected notifications via email, they might not.

They are supposed to issue a decision within 30 days - unless they ask for an additional 30.  However, the board is notorious for taking far longer than that.  If they surpass that time limit, I guess you can file suit against them but that type of case takes a very long time and the board will probably have issued a decision by the time the suit is heard in court.

Archived