Fingerprints for all FOID card holders proposed

bfreeman

What happens with someone like me?

After a lifetime of farming and as my age has crept up to 62, my fingerprint ridges have essentially disappeared. My fingertips are smooth and the fingerprint ID on my pistol safe is completely worthless to me. For identification purposes, I think they are classified as "incompetent".

Literally, "there's nothing to see here, folks!"

What happens with someone like me?

After a lifetime of farming and as my age has crept up to 62, my fingerprint ridges have essentially disappeared. My fingertips are smooth and the fingerprint ID on my pistol safe is completely worthless to me. For identification purposes, I think they are classified as "incompetent".

Literally, "there's nothing to see here, folks!"

So, I can file my fingerprints off and touch stuff, and you could get blamed? Fascinating!

I have to get fingerprints to get my FOID from now on? Great idea!!!!! Let's all do that very thing!!!!

One condition, though.

100% of the costs will be paid by Kathleen( I'm a bought and paid for Bloomturd slave) Willis and Jenny (I'm a hitler wanna-be twit) Gong. They can take out second and third mortgages on their homes to pay for everyone's fingerprints, NEVER using state funds for this. All the costs come out of their personal finances.

Otherwise, forget it.

After thinking about this more, I do not have a problem with fingerprints to get a foid. We are all law abiding and this is a good way to sort the good from the bad.

I do have a problem with the foid. If they do this the entire process needs to be free as this is after all a right. They also need to issue all foid cards within a much more reasonable amount of time. 72 hours seems like the max I would be willing to accept. CCLs should also be free and issued immediately after a certified instructor indicates completion of the required education via a web form since there would no longer be a need for extra checks.

As part of this all state employees including legislators and their staff should be required to undergo the same checks because they are supposed to be good people too.

I would actually be quite happy with that compromise, not sure about the rest of y'all.

THIS is how we got to where we are today.

Willing giving up our Rights a little at a time.

OH, and Nothing is Free !

What would we be giving up?

I get it, taxpayer funded is not free but it shifts the burden to the majority and protects the rights of the individual.

If fingerprints became mandatory, for the enhanced safety of the general public, I think the cost burden should be on the general public. Perhaps all LEO agencies could be required to provide digitized prints at no cost to the FOID applicant.

I have already paid for prints. It doesn't much matter to me, except that it would be good to not further burden FOID holders who cannot cover that cost.

THIS is how we got to where we are today.

Willing giving up our Rights a little at a time.

OH, and Nothing is Free !

What would we be giving up?

I get it, taxpayer funded is not free but it shifts the burden to the majority and protects the rights of the individual.

Many, if not most of us have never been fingerprinted. I don't intend to be.

I would be opposed to any fingerprinting. Simple reason is that they would wind up in the wrong hands. Not that there isn't much that those wrong hands can yet do with the prints. I recently received notification from OPM (office of personnel management of the US government) that my personal information has been compromised in an event back in 2015. Among the items of identification compromised were my fingerprints. I needed them for a job in which I had access to systems with government information (SSN stuff ). The letter I received said that there were no known things yet that they could do with fingerprints. That doesn't mean they won't figure something out.

Exactly...I'll cooperate with anything that will help curb gun violence but all of these pesky new laws are not aimed at stopping crime or weeding out problems......it's all about harassing and breaking the backs of law abiding gun owners and turning up the heat until we can't afford to pay to have our rights.

This is nothing but furthering the Police State that is Illinois and making criminals out of working people that own guns. Nothing more. There is no benefit of these laws save to charge us so much money we will have to capitulate on gun ownership. The prints will be used against us eventually after we paid to have them taken and cataloged.

VooDoo

Exactly...I'll cooperate with anything that will help curb gun violence but all of these pesky new laws are not aimed at stopping crime or weeding out problems......it's all about harassing and breaking the backs of law abiding gun owners and turning up the heat until we can't afford to pay to have our rights.

This is nothing but furthering the Police State that is Illinois and making criminals out of working people that own guns. Nothing more. There is no benefit of these laws save to charge us so much money we will have to capitulate on gun ownership. The prints will be used against us eventually after we paid to have them taken and cataloged.

VooDoo

I'm not going to cooperate with every idea they have to help curb gun violence. There are a lot of dumb ideas, like serialized bullets when bullets tend to fragment, smart guns when they reduce the reliability of a firearm (there's no way not to), etc. etc.

At this point, I have serious doubts in the competency of law enforcement. Aurora is not the first background check they have screwed up (Remember the Air Force dropping the ball not too long ago?) and even then they had plenty of time to address it and did not. Given the law enforcement is getting people killed and probably will not change their ways soon I think the prints are necessary to give them every opportunity not to drop the ball. Even with that I want some things in trade for this perceived safety if we completely ignore the Air Force example. FOIDs/CCLs/whatever they come up with next should be free because it is affirmation of a right. If they want to require fingerprints to exercise those then that cost needs to be put on the taxpayers and not the individual.

You want fingerprints?

Okay, Install machines in the Secretary of State DMV offices. Apps for FOID and CCL should be completed in office, prints taken, pictures taken and cards mailed out within 10 business days. Fees should be commiserate with those charged for Drivers License (including those for replacement of lost/stolen and/or change of address).

While your at it, have all voter registration done through the same office. Pictures, prints, apps and issuance of voter I.D. cards free of charge.

The letter I received said that there were no known things yet that they could do with fingerprints.

Except, create a 'fake finger' to bypass biometric fingerprint scanners... Researchers have found that fake fingerprints created with common gelatin (gummy bears) can fool about 80% of fingerprint scanners, and there are simple techniques to take that 2d scan and create a 3d print.

You want fingerprints? Okay, Install machines in the Secretary of State DMV offices. Apps for FOID and CCL should be completed in office, prints taken, pictures taken and cards mailed out within 10 business days. Fees should be commiserate with those charged for Drivers License (including those for replacement of lost/stolen and/or change of address). While your at it, have all voter registration done through the same office. Pictures, prints, apps and issuance of voter I.D. cards free of charge.

The DMV is already overburdened. If you are going to tie it to voting then make it be at the township offices, like passports. Personally, I'd rather it be handled by the local gun stores to offset some of the hurt from the gun dealer licensing by paying them to process the FOIDs. The FOID would have to be back within 72 hours though so you can pick up your new gun but with first class postage that shouldn't be a problem.

It would be pretty awesome to be able to register to vote in the gun store though too.

You want fingerprints?

Okay, Install machines in the Secretary of State DMV offices. Apps for FOID and CCL should be completed in office, prints taken, pictures taken and cards mailed out within 10 business days. Fees should be commiserate with those charged for Drivers License (including those for replacement of lost/stolen and/or change of address).

While your at it, have all voter registration done through the same office. Pictures, prints, apps and issuance of voter I.D. cards free of charge.

On the island of Maui they are installing DMV kiosks in grocery stores that allow you to perform most of the functions you would at their office. 24 hour access at some of them too. It seems that a FOID kiosk might work if the state had the will to make the process easier.

So the price for a FOID card goes up $100. ~$60 for printing and ~$40 ISP charge for running the prints.

Just another way to price things out of reach of those who need it the most.

Because at its core, gun control is both racist and classist, and designed to keep minorities and the poor from having the means to defend themselves, because white intellectual elitists are secretly terrified of "those people" having that ability and not being inescapable victims.

Just ask the Daley family.

Fingerprints would not have stopped what happened. The ISP knew he was ineligible and sent him a letter. The anti Constitutional rights people found an opportunity not go to waste to make it harder and expensive for people to exercise their Constitutional rights.

This 100%. The problem is not fingerprints, the problem is no follow up by ISP or Aurora PD. Willis would love to twist this into something to make getting a FOID more difficult, time consuming and expensive. We cannot let that happen.

Archived