Judge Posner: ‘No value’ in studying the U.S. Constitution

kwc

This is disturbing... The Washington Times reports that Judge Posner (7th Circuit Court of Appeals) sees no value in studying the Constitution:

Seventh Circuit Judge Richard Posner sees absolutely no value in studying the U.S. Constitution because eighteenth-century guys couldn't have possibly foreseen the culture and technology of today.

In a recent op-ed for Slate, Judge Posner, a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago Law School, argued that the original Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the post-Civil War amendments do not speak to today.

"I see absolutely no value to a judge of spending decades, years, months, weeks, day, hours, minutes, or seconds studying the Constitution, the history of its enactment, its amendments, and its implementation (across the centuries--well, just a little more than two centuries, and of course less for many of the amendments)," he wrote. "Eighteenth-century guys, however smart, could not foresee the culture, technology, etc., of the 21st century."

He added, "let's not let the dead bury the living."

Judge Posner, an outspoken opponent of late Justice Antonin Scalia, also blasted absurd posthumous encomia for the late conservative.

Here's the link: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/27/richard-posner-no-value-in-studying-us-constitutio/

I whole heartedly disagree. I am a firm believer that there are few men in today's world that have half of the intellect and drive to accomplish what out founders did. I wish I had the time and intellect to fully read and understand all of their writings, let alone the most important document in human history.

I sense a hit comedy tv show...

"The US Constitution, according to Posner."

...I'm sorry citizen, you like listening to Led Zeppelin? Clearly those old farts didn't know how to create music for our generation, so you should totally stop listening to their stone cold tracks. Here, listen to One Direction, they completely understand the plight of the common man today.

Life according to posner would mean that no one would have a right to privacy if using anything more high tech than a telegragh. Life according posner would mean no right to own modern firearms. Lofe according to posner means the cops can search your cell phone without a warrant. Life according to posner means the government can deny everyone access to the internet because it did not exist during the founding. Life according to posner means the government can ban access to vehicles and modern medicine since neither was available back in the founding.

Sounds to me like he just stumping for the next SCOTUS nomination.

If he was about 20 years younger, based in these statements, Posner would fit the perfect profile for a Hillary nomination. Oh... then again, there is that 'pesky' Moore decision... which might have taken him off of her list.

A judge that doesn't believe in the Constitution should be impeached. Plain and simple. I'm not referring to Posner specifically. Any judge. Right on down to the circuit judges here in state court. Just refer to the Oath he took, referring to the adhering to the Constitution part of the Oath.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

A judge that doesn't believe in the Constitution should be impeached. Plain and simple. I'm not referring to Posner specifically. Any judge. Right on down to the circuit judges here in state court. Just refer to the Oath he took, referring to the adhering to the Constitution part of the Oath. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

How do we get that started? There's both a process component, and a political component.

Archived