Pro 2A resolution - Archive

Ashdump

Here's another article (from Free Republic), with part of the text of the resolution (highlighted in red)--it rocks! I also highlighted in yellow the words I really liked from a Pike County resident.

The Shot Heard Around The Country (My title) At Baseless Gun Control Efforts

Pike County is renowned for some of the best whitetail and wild turkey hunting in Illinois. That deserved reputation has turned hunting into a significant revenue source for the county and its residents.

A threat to that revenue may cause Pittsfield, the county seat, to someday be known as the spot where a quiet groundswell of protest against the growing proliferation of firearms restrictions finally erupted into grassroots action.

On Tuesday evening the Pike County Board citing the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, passed a resolution saying no to any state legislation limiting the right to keep and bear arms would be recognized in Pike County.

Their resolution minces no words:

"Now, Therefore, It Be And Is Hereby Resolved, that the people of Pike County, Illinois, do oppose the enactment of any legislation that would infringe upon the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, and deem such laws to be Unconstitutional and beyond lawful Legislative Authority."

In short, no state law placing any limitations on firearms will be valid in Pike County.

This action is aimed squarely at a measure currently being proposed by the state legislature. This proposed state legislation would outlaw semiautomatic firearms and ban .50 caliber firearms (including muzzleloaders). It is being championed by two Chicago residents: Mayor Richard M. Daley and Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich.

It may be popular in Chicago political circles, but it's not going to win Blagojevich any votes in Pike County.

One of the two Pike County Board Members who sponsored the Resolution, Robert Kanady, says he hopes the measure would "be the spark that lights a cannon heard all across the United States."

Co-sponsor Mark Mountain said: "We have to stand up. We have to voice our opinion. As an individual, it doesn't mean much. As a county, it means more. As three or four counties, it means a lot."

In recognition of the resolution's importance, the Tuesday meeting was reportedly the most heavily attended public meeting in county history. Residents overflowed the courtroom, spilling out into the courthouse rotunda.

The measure also had extensive public discussion. At one point, a reluctant commissioner raised concerns that perhaps the measure was a "political hot button" and not something in which a county government should involve itself.

That drew an emotional response from one resident:

"This proposed legislation would greatly harm the citizens of this county, and we believe the members of our County Board are bound by the oaths of office to speak for us on this issue.

"The issue here is not politics, the issue is freedom. Freedom began in this nation more than 200 years ago, when small groups of people like us, in towns even smaller than ours, gathered together to tell the King who tried to rule them from a huge city an ocean away, 'Enough is enough!' Freedom will only survive today if we have the courage to do the same."

In closing, he offered: "In this room tonight we are not conservatives; we are not liberals. In this room tonight we are not Democrats; we are not Republicans. In this room tonight we are Americans."

The standing ovation he received was apparently enough to convince the Commission to overwhelmingly pass the measure.

Pike County's resolution may, indeed, be unprecedented in modern history. Our research (albeit brief at this point) has yet to produce another instance of a county government having voted to refuse to enforce proposed state statutes it viewed to be in conflict with federal law.

And the Pike County Resolution minces no words as to why they felt the action necessary: "the People of Pike County, Illinois, derive great economic benefit from all safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting, and shooting conducted within Pike County using all types of firearms allowable under the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois."

The resolution also cites the Commission's sworn duty to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, saying the proposed legislation currently under consideration by the Illinois State Legislature would "infringe the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, and would ban the possession and use of firearms now employed by individual citizens in Pike County, Illinois, for defense of Life, Liberty, and Property, and would ban the possession and use of firearms now employed for safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting, and shooting conducted within Pike County, Illinois.

In Canada, several provincial governments flatly refused to enforce revisions to the country's firearms registry. The provincial governments said the changers were not only ill advised, but unenforceable. Eventually their resistance became a major political factor, turning out the liberal ruling party and electing a conservative government that has systematically dismantled the registry.

The decision in Pike County was not one that was lightly made, nor considered. Officials had carried on quiet talks with outside Illinois before Tuesday evening's vote. We have learned those talks have led other local governments to begin considering similar measures as a means of expressing their displeasure with attempts to legislate firearms out of the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Individuals involved in those conversations speak of the frustration of a large, and formerly quiet group of citizens who feel the will of the majority of the people is being ignored by legislators.

Should Pike County's resolution catch on across Illinois and correspondingly across America, this single action taken by a small county government may, indeed, ignite a chain of similar actions across the country that serve notice that the majority opinion of Americans heartland regarding firearms will no longer be ignored.

We will keep you posted.

By the way, the guy who posted this on 1911forum.com lives in Madison County (where I live, as well), and he and others are organizing a petition drive to try to get the same kind of thing going here. I have no idea how well that will work, but it's certainly worth a try.

I think it's an effort that should be made in every county outside of Chicagoland (where it's probably futile).

Just got this in a Gun News e-mail from GSL

On April 9th 2007 The Brown County Board of Illinois unanimously passed a pro 2nd Amendment Resolution. Above resolution also condemns Il. Senate Bill 16 and any new bill or law which would restrict or deny the 2nd Amendment rights of law abiding citizens. Above resolution was then sent to Il. House and Senate as well as All County Boards in Il. With a suggestion to follow with a resolution of their own. Since Pike Co. Il. Has followed with their resolution on 4-24-06. We need to advise interested people of 2nd amendment rights to contact their County Board members and advise them to draft a similar resolution.

Thank you for your time,

Jim Logsdon

Brown County Board Member

Mt.Sterling Il.

217-773-2041 jlogsdon@adams.net

PS, I think the date 4-24-06 is a typo. It should read 07

Someone at IDPA last night told me that several IL counties are getting on board this thing.

This is really very exciting. If for no other reason than that it will tick off the Chicago elites (including the Gov.).

How many state funds are directed to these counties annually? Depending, that these counties buck the state like that could mean financial problems.

My email to Jim....

Dear Jim:

The following (below) was posted on a local Second Amendments rights internet board. I cannot tell you how happy I am, and invigorated I am, that some of you "downstaters" are doing this kind of thing. Brown county, Pike county. This is unprecedented, and you are making history! How many more counties have passed such resolutions?

I heard some downstate legislators arguing passionately about (against) some house gun bills, saying that Chicago is pushing solutions to their problems on the entire state. It is perfectly clear that violent crime in IL is associated with Chicago, and in particular, a few neighborhoods, and that it is being perpetrated almost entirely by young, African-American males. Seventy-seven percent of homicide offenders in Chicago (in 2005) were African American, and another 18% were Hispanic/Latino. Yes. That is 95% of homicide offenders. It is clear where the problem lies, but Chicago politicians and lawmakers are unwilling to address the problem. So they go after the guns instead, and via collatoral damage, they punish gun-owners as well. This is a big issue (real and effective crime control), and we (the state in general) needs your support very badly.

You see, I am familiar with these issues. I live in Cook Co., and work in downtown Chicago. I see Daley give us lectures on how guns are bad, and know that he carries a gun himself in addition to be surrounded by armed security. So he bans guns, yet he KNOWS that they are necessary. He is an elitist of the worst sort. So Jim, yes, there are some people like you up here too, but we are a rather small minority. But you know all too well what happens when you mix minorities with civil rights violations! Gun ownership is a civil right, and defense of self is a biological right, God-given, unalineable. I have a loving family, own a house, I am a professional scientist (with a PhD), I vote, pay my taxes, and own guns (more than a few). I have never, ever done anything illegal with them, and never intend to. I own guns for hunting, for collecting, for historical reasons, for competition, and for defense. In part, I own guns simply because I like them. I have a concealed carry license from Florida and carry when I visit states that honor it. I feel it is my duty to be responsible, and that extends to the defense of myself, my family, and those in my community who are unable, or unwilling, to do so.

Let me know how I can help...contact people, publicize your resolution...whatever. Thank you for sending your resolution to the County boards, including the monster of Cook. Several of us are going to write the Cook County board as well, independently. Thankfully, my own commissioner is one of only 4 (of 18 I think) that voted against the Cook County semi-auto ban that went into effect Feb. of this year (effectively, the same thing as SB0016 but without the grandfather clause). Thus, I had to transfer some of my firearms to my friends in Indiana. You can only imagine how "disrespected" and "dishonored" that decision (by Cook Co.) makes me feel. I was, and am being, punished for abiding by the law. Incredible. Unacceptable.

Best regards to you Sir. And keep up the good work!

"GarandFan"

Those of us in Champaign County...

this is something GSL (Guns Save Life/Champaign County Rifle Association) should run with! It's just sitting there, waiting for us!

I missed the last Board of Directors meeting (I'm not on the Board, but do attend). The next general meeting will be May 8th. Let's get organized...suggest that GSL make a presentation to the Champaign County Board. GSL certainly has the spokesmen capable of doing so!

If we could get Champaign County to do as Pike and Brown, then we could start to "connect the dots!" :wacko:

My email to Jim....

Dear Jim:

The following (below) was posted on a local Second Amendments rights internet board. I cannot tell you how happy I am, and invigorated I am, that some of you "downstaters" are doing this kind of thing. Brown county, Pike county. This is unprecedented, and you are making history! How many more counties have passed such resolutions?

I heard some downstate legislators arguing passionately about (against) some house gun bills, saying that Chicago is pushing solutions to their problems on the entire state. It is perfectly clear that violent crime in IL is associated with Chicago, and in particular, a few neighborhoods, and that it is being perpetrated almost entirely by young, African-American males. Seventy-seven percent of homicide offenders in Chicago (in 2005) were African American, and another 18% were Hispanic/Latino. Yes. That is 95% of homicide offenders. It is clear where the problem lies, but Chicago politicians and lawmakers are unwilling to address the problem. So they go after the guns instead, and via collatoral damage, they punish gun-owners as well. This is a big issue (real and effective crime control), and we (the state in general) needs your support very badly.

You see, I am familiar with these issues. I live in Cook Co., and work in downtown Chicago. I see Daley give us lectures on how guns are bad, and know that he carries a gun himself in addition to be surrounded by armed security. So he bans guns, yet he KNOWS that they are necessary. He is an elitist of the worst sort. So Jim, yes, there are some people like you up here too, but we are a rather small minority. But you know all too well what happens when you mix minorities with civil rights violations! Gun ownership is a civil right, and defense of self is a biological right, God-given, unalineable. I have a loving family, own a house, I am a professional scientist (with a PhD), I vote, pay my taxes, and own guns (more than a few). I have never, ever done anything illegal with them, and never intend to. I own guns for hunting, for collecting, for historical reasons, for competition, and for defense. In part, I own guns simply because I like them. I have a concealed carry license from Florida and carry when I visit states that honor it. I feel it is my duty to be responsible, and that extends to the defense of myself, my family, and those in my community who are unable, or unwilling, to do so.

Let me know how I can help...contact people, publicize your resolution...whatever. Thank you for sending your resolution to the County boards, including the monster of Cook. Several of us are going to write the Cook County board as well, independently. Thankfully, my own commissioner is one of only 4 (of 18 I think) that voted against the Cook County semi-auto ban that went into effect Feb. of this year (effectively, the same thing as SB0016 but without the grandfather clause). Thus, I had to transfer some of my firearms to my friends in Indiana. You can only imagine how "disrespected" and "dishonored" that decision (by Cook Co.) makes me feel. I was, and am being, punished for abiding by the law. Incredible. Unacceptable.

Best regards to you Sir. And keep up the good work!

"GarandFan"

BRAVO!!!

BRAVO!!!

Well done, you silver tounged devil!

Ok guys its crunch time, we need to get as many counties on board as possible!

here is our checkoff sheet (blaster may want to move this to a better location in the thread) anyway, any time a county hops on board we change their color to green. I will try to get Richland county to adopt this measure as well and so should everyone in the county they live.

ITS OFFENSE TIME!!!

post-437-1177714347_thumb.jpg

Send today to the president of the DuPage County Board:

~~~~~~~~~

Friday, April 27, 2007

Dear President Schillerstrom,

Pike County Illinois recently passed a resolution supporting the Second Amendment and condemning any laws that infringe upon the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms. I’ve attached an article describing this resolution.

I would like to urge the DuPage County Board to pass a similar resolution reaffirming the basic rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights. It’s about time the rest of the state stand up to the Chicago and Cook County Democrats.

Louis J

I'll get right on it with my County: Cook...

er..

I can't even get my Cook County Commissioner, Forrest Claypool (it just has to be the Third...don'tcha think?) to respond to my calls and emails and calls about emails. His administrative assistant is very nice.

His prompt reply:

Thank you for your support [GarandFan]. If you could just spread the word anyway possible so we can get this thing steamrolling across the state and possibly the nation.

Thanks again,

Jim

:Loony:

Hey Garand, now that you have an email correspondence going with Mr. Shepherd, I would appreciate it if you could ask him for the full text of the resolution--I haven't been able to find that yet.

I heard from Jim. This is the resolution, in it's entirety. Apparently, the Brown County resolution was passed first, and the Pike County resolution was passed after that. I will write and ask for the Pike County resolution in it's entirety (which I believe is longer than Brown county).

Brown County, Illinois - Resolution

We disagree with SB 16 and any new bills or laws which would restrict or deny the 2nd amendment rights for law abiding citizens. We further affirm our rights under the U.S. Constitution Bill of Rights 2nd Amendment which states “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Voted on and passed 8-0 4-9-07

Archived