A Thread For IGOLD Newbies

Lou

Has anyone mentioned bringing a baggie to put all your scanned items in so all you have to do is drop it in the tub, step through the detector, grab the baggie on the other side and keep on moving? Don't stop to put things back in your pockets until you have made it to the rotunda or up the stairs.

Also, if you're a marshall at a security site or just waiting your turn and there seems to be someone in line that's not with our group and acting a little "anxious" about the wait, you might want to invite them to step to the front of the line to go through. There were a few folks last year concerned at making a "hearing" that were at the back of the line. We moved them to the front, they were very appreciative, the securtiy folks were impressed and we improved our stature in those folks' eyes.

Has anyone mentioned bringing a baggie to put all your scanned items in so all you have to do is drop it in the tub, step through the detector, grab the baggie on the other side and keep on moving? Don't stop to put things back in your pockets until you have made it to the rotunda or up the stairs.

Abolt suggested that and it is a wonderful idea. The Secretary Of State officers who man the metal detectors are on our side and this really helps them.

IGOLD has a well deserved reputation of being the largest and also the most well behaved march/rally in Springfield. As you're marching along take 5 seconds to thank the police officers stopping traffic for us. After you get through the metal detectors take a few seconds to thank the officers. They are by and large supporters.

The baggy idea is a small one but it helps the officers and just as important, it gets us in the Capitol building faster and out of the cold/rain.

My daughter wonders if it would be okay to bring her kindle? Out first IGOLD and I can't wait. How strenous is the march? I have an enhanced equator in addition to asthma and can't walk as fast as I used to.

Eugene

Kindles, IPADs etc are just fine. There is WIFI at the PCCC. No problem whatsoever. The security chack at the Capitol building is much leass strenuous than at airports. You can keep you shoes on!

The march is about a mile and it's more of a leisurely stroll. We will also have buses available to ferry people back and forth that can't do the walk.

I remember one IGOLD - probably the second or so - I marched alongside 'Ole Coach who had his oxygen bottle in a hydration backpack with the tube coming up under his arm. I marched alongside him just in case but after a few blocks I realized he was gonna be fine. there was no way he was gonna miss it!! He was a treasure and sorely missed.

As far as enhanced equators - you'll have a LOT of company.

Make sure you stop by the Illinois carry table in the lobby of the PCCC or the Capitol Building to introduce yourself.

My daughter wonders if it would be okay to bring her kindle? Out first IGOLD and I can't wait. How strenous is the march? I have an enhanced equator in addition to asthma and can't walk as fast as I used to.

Eugene

Fine on the Kindle, just put it in the tray at security and run it through the xray machine. The march is a quick stroll, not a forced march at all. If you tire or need a break, you can always move to the sidewalk and finish at your leisure. Or, skip the march and take the bus from the PCCC.

Tim

Eugene

The walk itself isn't that bad, but it is a few blocks long. Half a mile? I don't know. You might want to take the shuttle bus.

A kindle? Why ever not? I've had a laptop or netbook with me most times.

Eugene

The walk itself isn't that bad, but it is a few blocks long. Half a mile? I don't know. You might want to take the shuttle bus.

A kindle? Why ever not? I've had a laptop or netbook with me most times.

YEp, Google maps shows .6 mile. The shuttle will leave from the north side (Washington Street) of the PCCC at the beginning of the march and drop you at the Lincoln steps for the speeches there. There will be numerous announcements when the busses are ready.

Tim

Weather forecast for Springfield tomorrow from wunderground as of 7:35 p.m. is:

Wednesday

Partly cloudy in the morning, then mostly cloudy. High of 64F. Winds from the South at 5-15 mph with gusts to 40 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Wednesday Night

Overcast with thunderstorms and rain showers. Low of 41F. Winds from the NW at 10-15 mph shifting to the WSW after midnight. Chance of rain 60% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

Would a bank document type bag be okay? Something to put "stuff" in? Does everyone wear their IGOLD t-shirts all day or do they come off after the march for a more business like appearance? Were do you stash them if you take them off?

Eugene

man of questions.

Would a bank document type bag be okay? Something to put "stuff" in? Does everyone wear their IGOLD t-shirts all day or do they come off after the march for a more business like appearance? Were do you stash them if you take them off?

Eugene

man of questions.

Don't worry about changing into more formal unless you just want to. I have a laptop carry case that I carry with me and put my sweatshirt in there once I get into the capitol because it's hot in there.

I'm driving up and bringing a few people with me, how much can I expect to pay for parking, or how many quarters can I plan to feed a meter? Also I would like to bring a small backpack for my ipad and a place to stow away my sweatshirt after the march will that be OK?

I can't give you a number on the cost of parking but I recall that it's not very much. $7 is in my head. The one I have parked at before is the kind you get the ticket when you pull in and it's stamped and then you pay based on time.

Far as the back pack, that's what I have always done and they just slide my pack through the scanner when we get to the capital. No big deal.

I'm driving up and bringing a few people with me, how much can I expect to pay for parking, or how many quarters can I plan to feed a meter? Also I would like to bring a small backpack for my ipad and a place to stow away my sweatshirt after the march will that be OK?

Up above somewhere is the parking info for the garage next to the PCCC. Figure $7 for all day. This isn't Chicago! The edit gate does not take cash so pay at the keosk at the PCCC or by credit card upon exiting. I always bring a medium sized backpack and as long as its small enough to go through the metal detectors its fine

See you all there! Make sure you stop at the Illinois Carry table in the foyer!

Archived