Illinois General Assembly Continuous Sessions 8/13/2017 - 8/29/2017

mauserme

40 Million try 150 Million more!

CPS officials said the district could get as much as $450 million under the plan — about $150 million more than officials had anticipated.

If you have been listening to these bills, they are switching to performance based funding.

Chicago has closed 51 poor performing schools and moved the kids to other schools.

Those better performing school will count all the kids this year, they will get a ton more funding.

All a game until these schools begin to fail as well.

Listening to twisted democratic lies or reading the facts?

No school will get less money even with the significant drop in enrollment in the CPS.

Funding for 8000 students and teachers that don't exist, more in the slush fund.

Better performing schools will only get more funding when taxes are increased, the money for that increased funding was now given to the CPS. That's what the 450 million was for where did you think they were getting it?

Many schools would have gotten double the funding like cicero which is 100% poverty but that money is now gone!

No school will get less money even with the significant drop in enrollment in the CPS.

Funding for 8000 students and teachers that don't exist, more in the slush fund.

Better performing schools will only get more funding when taxes are increased, the money for that increased funding was now given to the CPS. That's what the 450 million was for where did you think they were getting it?

Many schools would have gotten double the funding like cicero which is 100% poverty but that money is now gone!

You talking about property tax increase? My understanding is the property tax increase is for CPS pension fund, since no state ballot was given.

You talking about property tax increase? My understanding is the property tax increase is for CPS pension fund, since no state ballot was given.

No state bailout? What do you think all that money is for? That's what Rauner originally line item veto'd and it's now going to CPS.

There was a website out there maybe also the illinois policy that listed the current and projected increase in fundings for all the school districts based on not sending that money to Chicago. Yes no-one gut a cut (I think for 2 years) but many districts outside of Chicago got large increases which just proved Madigan's influence over the representatives who put his approval over supplying more funds for their OWN district!

I hate to admit it but I'm having a Nancy Pelosi moment we might have to wait until it's all signed to figure out exactly what it is saying.

The cap for CPS funds was lifted but it appears the funding from pensions was moved and it's no longer subject to a tax cap at all???

If you live in Chicago bend over Rahm has already announced there will be another big increase if your in Cook well don't hold your breath there won't be.

I don't think they hired any of the layoff's back and Taxwinkle just gave big raises and bonus out to the union so that money is also spent.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/after-soda-tax-preckwinkle-doles-out-premium-perks-and-bonuses/

If the soda tax is somehow eliminated your in for a big whammy you can't drive out of to avoid.

No state bailout? What do you think all that money is for? That's what Rauner originally line item veto'd and it's now going to CPS.

There was a website out there maybe also the illinois policy that listed the current and projected increase in fundings for all the school districts based on not sending that money to Chicago. Yes no-one gut a cut (I think for 2 years) but many districts outside of Chicago got large increases which just proved Madigan's influence over the representatives who put his approval over supplying more funds for their OWN district!

I hate to admit it but I'm having a Nancy Pelosi moment we might have to wait until it's all signed to figure out exactly what it is saying.

The cap for CPS funds was lifted but it appears the funding from pensions was moved and it's no longer subject to a tax cap at all???

If you live in Chicago bend over Rahm has already announced there will be another big increase if your in Cook well don't hold your breath there won't be.

I don't think they hired any of the layoff's back and Taxwinkle just gave big raises and bonus out to the union so that money is also spent.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/after-soda-tax-preckwinkle-doles-out-premium-perks-and-bonuses/

If the soda tax is somehow eliminated your in for a big whammy you can't drive out of to avoid.

A Cook County property tax increase would require a change in the state tax code. I don't think that's in the cards for them.

A Cook County property tax increase would require a change in the state tax code. I don't think that's in the cards for them.

Cook county can't raise it's property taxes?

How can Du Page do this every year?

Cook has special protections in state law?

In your quote of yourself immediatley above, you mentioned that "The cap for CPS funds was lifted...". I think you meant the cap on property taxes which, being a function of state law rather than city or county ordinance, was indeed raised for Chicago with passage of this bill. I don't believe Cook County was given a similar increase but, as you say, the bill is long and there may be things I haven't noticed.

CPS Pensions were moved to the state Pension Code so that any future changes to that law will affect Chicago equally with the rest of the state.

Governor Rauner's office issued a press release that touches on several things, including the potential for property tax reductions because of the recalculation, or by referendum.

Illinois e-News Release
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Gov. Rauner statement on Senate vote

"Today, members of the Illinois Senate voted in favor of legislation that will bring historic education reform to Illinois children and their families. First, I would like to thank Senate President John Cullerton and Senate Republican Leader Bill Brady and other members for working together to close the gap on school funding and making sure every child across the state will have access to the best education.

"For far too long, too many low-income students in our state have been trapped in underfunded, failing schools. The system needed to change. We have changed it. We have put aside our differences and put our kids first. It's a historic day for Illinois.

"Our leaders worked together to provide school choice protection for parents who want the best education possible for their children. This is accomplished by ensuring that district-authorized charter schools receive equal funding, and by providing families with limited financial resources the same access to private schools. The Tax Credit Scholarship program encourages individuals and businesses to enable families to choose the school that best meets the needs of their children.

"This compromise also provides much-needed mandate relief for school districts and presents avenues for property tax relief. School districts will be given flexibility in how they schedule physical education curriculum and how they administer driver's education curriculum. In more affluent school districts, this bill provides taxpayers with a chance to lower their property taxes through the referendum process.

"This is just the beginning of transforming education funding. I want Illinois to be the No. 1 state in the nation for education. Nothing is more important than educating our children."

Archived