States Where Illinois Carry Licensees May Carry

Molly B.

Wisconsin honoring Illinois' license changed the dynamic of which licenses to consider applying for if any. Most people will probably not be interested in applying for UT or AZ now since they figure they can travel to all of the bordering states without needing another license.

Now there's also the decision whether to apply for either Florida or Arizona (assuming you don't want to get the UT training or your instructor can't provide it) without a reason to have both as Arizona now lost the advantage of giving you Wisconsin. On one hand, Arizona is about half the price of Florida and you don't need to get a passport photo. However, it's only good for 5 years and you can't carry in Florida. Getting the Florida license gives you an extra two years and is the only license Illinois residents can get to carry in Florida. However, there's the extra hoops of finding a notary and having prints done at a law enforcement agency.

Now that Illinois has a permit will New Hampshire require the permit instead of just the FOID? will any state that requires you to have a home state permit allow you to keep their license?

Tom

re: New Hampshire Yes. Now that an Illinois License is possible, I am pretty sure you must have an IL CCL to get the NH Permit ($100/5 years and only gets you NH, I think). I would include a copy of my FOID with the application.

re: Utah "If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states visit: http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply"

I think you are OK in Florida and Arizona. The rest of the states that might give you a license/permit are single state gets. The other states do not issue to non residents. I love PA, but you have to apply in person (takes no time!) and I don't think it gives you any extra states.

New Hampshire would get you several additional states beyond just an IL license. WY, ND, LA, GA, NH, PA, and WV from my review of the map.

IL does not recognize Utah so IL residents are not effected by that provision of the Utah permit process.

I guess what I am getting at is... No Illinois license = NO any license anywhere would that be fair to say? granted that's only if I live in Illinois. Or in any state for that matter. You must have a CCL from your home state.

Why I say this is because it seems at least at this point in the game Illinois is making it hard for what ever reason and we never had to produce a license from Illinois for other states because we didn't have one.

To go one step further for instance, my application is denied will I have to surrender all permits from other states I may have now that Illinois has a permit ?.

Just putting that out there I am sure their are non resident permit holders for other states that may be denied.

I wouldn't say that is fair to say at all. Of the states that issue to non-residents, most have no consideration of whether you have a permit in your home state or not. NH, PA, IL, and the provisional restrictions on UT are the only ones I'm thinking of.

I doubt any of those are going to revoke a current permit, probably just have to provide updated info when renewing.

The popular states for non-res permits of FL and AZ don't care about any other permits you hold or don't hold. Neither does ID, MN, VA, ME, WA, or NV all of which issue to non-residents.

Edited by Gamma

The only state that I would love for it to get recognized as in California which I doubt it will ever happen anytime soon that's where 99 percent of my family lives

With the 9th Circuit ruling demanding "shall issue", pick a county and apply for a CA permit. If your family happens to live in one of the counties that is directly affected by the ruling that would be ideal, or else if they're generally amenable to issuing permits.

They use to meet in April. The last couple years they didn't meet until later. They posted dropping Missouri and dated it July 1, 2013 but didn't post it until the last day of July 2013. When they meet and make their decision it will be made public. If they do agree to honor IL it will not become effective until July 1, 2014. That is the date they have used in the past to update their list for the year. If they do it should show up at this link around July 1st. One year they did post it weeks early but had the effective date as starting July 1st of that year.

I will be traveling to Indiana soon. Is this all I need to print out just in case some LEOs do not know anything about my IL CCL?

I severely doubt that you would encounter an IN LEO who was unfamiliar with licensed firearms carry.

Indiana recognizes all permits for non-Indiana residents, again, that's not something that any IN LEO is likely going to be unfamiliar with.

If for whatever reason you'd come into contact with an IN LEO that you needed to present your IL license, he/she will likely more more interested in seeing what an IL license looks like if there is any interest beyond the mere presence of a carry permit/license.

Edited by Gamma

I just rec'd my IL CCL and will be traveling West camping probably mid-July. I haven't been able to figure out what add'l. license I might be able to get to allow me to carry in most of those states. I've seen Utah mentioned here - does that make sense for me to do? If so, what states will adding Utah get me?

I just rec'd my IL CCL and will be traveling West camping probably mid-July. I haven't been able to figure out what add'l. license I might be able to get to allow me to carry in most of those states. I've seen Utah mentioned here - does that make sense for me to do? If so, what states will adding Utah get me?

Here's a good resource for you:

ww.handgunlaw.us

If you've received an NRA basic pistol certificate as part of your concealed carry training, you can use it to apply for the Arizona permit which is $60 and will allow you to carry in over 30 states with no additional training.

ww.handgunlaw.us

Thanks Trevis. I had tried to access that site, but can't load it from my phone for some reason. I'll give it a try tomorrow night when I get back home. Edited by gilby

If you've received an NRA basic pistol certificate as part of your concealed carry training, you can use it to apply for the Arizona permit which is $60 and will allow you to carry in over 30 states with no additional training.

Bigdeesul, I didn't do the NRA training. Which state would be the easier/least complicated to get? Thanks

Bigdeesul, I didn't do the NRA training. Which state would be the easier/least complicated to get? Thanks

You don't have to. Arizona accepts any CCL from a state that requires training as fulfilling their training requirement. And it gets you New Mexico!

ww.handgunlaw.us

Thanks Trevis. I had tried to access that site, but can't load it from my phone for some reason. I'll give it a try tomorrow night when I get back home.

The state pages on that site are all PDF files, your phone may have trouble with those.

There's an interactive map which might work, it's here -> http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

NOTE: The interactive map does not indicate the states that only recognize resident permits - CO, SC, MI, NH, ME, FL, and some PA.

Once you have an IL license, the PA license is the easiest and least expensive to add on if you'd happen to be in PA, since you have to apply in person. For western states, PA would add LA, TX, WY, ND, MT.

Utah is a good option but you have to have the Utah-specific training class, nothing else is acceptable. UT would get you WA which neither AZ or FL have, but you lose NM which both of them have.

AZ and FL are available with other training options you probably already have. If you have IL already, FL will be the only state that's different between the two.

The only current non-resident permits good in NV are NV itself, or the ID "enhanced", both of which you'd have to take training and apply in person. By mid-July, it's possible that the IL license will be recognized in NV.

Dr Rat, will AZ allow me to carry in the Western and Northwest states?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

(can't edit :ermm: )

since you're probably having trouble with pdf files, here's a text listing for AZ:

Arizona AK, AL, AR, DE, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, WY

Edited by Gamma

• 3 weeks later...
OK, So WI will honor the IL permit but IL will NOT honor the WI permit. Likewise, AZ honors the IL permit but IL will NOT honor the AZ permit. And there is no way to get a non resident IL permit at this time? I thought you could it was just uber expensive (license fee $300). Did they change the law?

The law says that non-residents from states with "substantially similar" laws may apply.

The ISP interprets that phrase by applying five criteria that only 3 states (HI, SC, and VA) currently fulfill. Check the FAQs posted on ccl4illinois.com for details.

It is unlikely many more states, if any, will join this short list without a change to the law or to the ISP's administrative rules.

There's going to need to be a legislative fix for non-discriminatory issue to non-residents.

On another front, in sent a message via their online comment system to the Nebraska AG's office, making sure they were aware of IL's license law and requesting that they review the requirements so that IL licenses would be recognized in NE.

• 1 month later...
I'm glad I got my Utah license, which I originally did so that I could carry in Wisconsin (before IL had a concealed carry license). Even now it is helpful when I visit my son in Texas. Between the Utah and the IL license I am legal as I drive through IL, MO, OK and Texas. I also had a NH license but I let it expire since it only adds NH (a place I am unlikely to travel to). I also still have PA, but not sure I will go through the hassle of renewing in person when the current one expires.

Are there direct links to the various states record stating that they will recognize the Illinois permit? I like handgunlaws.us but it's always a good idea to provide primary sources and I didn't see any on their pdf.