Meeting with ISP and with Gov. Rauner

Molly B.

post-195-0-81374000-1530806406_thumb.jpg

On Monday, Mr. B and I met with ISP Firearm Services Bureau Chief Jessica Trame, the FSB chief legal counsel, and the ISP legislative liaison to discuss issues about the FOID/CCL appeal processes and the ongoing problem of not being able to reach anyone in the bureau by phone. We were warmly received and they made sure we had ample time to discuss all our issues. they readily acknowledged there are problems with not being able to reach someone by phone and there are problems with some FOID/CCL appeals taking a long time to be resolved. It was a very informative, very helpful meeting. I learned some very good info that will help when advising people on submitting FOID/CCL appeals. I have a better understanding of the issues from the FSB perspective as well.

Three major issues they are dealing with is a flawed and antiquated phone system, the FOID system is still all paper except for applications and renewals, staffing is a problem:

There are plans to upgrade to VOIP phone system but as with anything in government, a timeline is unknown.

Apris is working on building a FOID software program which would incorporate appeals and integrate with the CCL software. A program designed for a small number of concealed carry license holders, expanded to include more than 2 million FOID holders, is a challenge. Progress is slow going because Apris was bought out by another company and the team assigned to FSB ended, new team now coming up to speed . . .

Staffing problems - the government hiring process is very laborious and drawn out, by the time all the red tape is cleared a lot of folks have already gotten jobs elsewhere. Once hired, there is extensive training, mandated overtime, and the wages are not very competitive so turnover is high. I mentioned someone to answer the phone and just take messages, even if they can't answer questions, would be helpful.

On Tuesday, we met with Gov. Rauner and his advisors. Again, we were warmly received and provided an extended amount of time to discuss all the issues we have with the FSB and also to talk about the dealer licensing, 72 hr. waiting period, and Firearm Restraining Order bills. The Gov. tasked his Chief of Staff to follow up on problems at the FSB. I believe they will be resolved, mostly to our satisfaction. On the legislation, they were open to dialogue, listened to our position, made note of our suggestions, and the discussion continues. Even today we have exchanged several emails.

We are very fortunate to have a Governor who will take the time to sit down with us, hear us out, take note of our concerns. In administrations past, we couldn't even get inside the glass doors to the outer office. Gov. Rauner is all that stands between us and a new administration that would strip us of all our rights in the blink of an eye.

We appreciate the Governor's willingness to at least discuss these important issues with us.

We are very fortunate to have a Governor who will take the time to sit down with us, hear us out, take note of our concerns. In administrations past, we couldn't even get inside the glass doors to the outer office. Gov. Rauner is all that stands between us and a new administration that would strip us of all our rights in the blink of an eye.

Thanks Val and Mike for all your good work and the information.

I did not vote for the governor in the primary, but will certainly vote for him in the fall. What ever issues I may have will him are much worse in Pritsker.

Even if others here think that the governor has no chance to beat him, we should vote for Rauner anyway. No voting will ensure a Pritsker victory.

Voting third party will dilute the Rauner vote.

Progress is slow going because Apris was bought out by another company and the team assigned to FSB ended, new team now coming up to speed . . .

We appreciate the Governor's willingness to at least discuss these important issues with us.

Hopefully we will have another 4 years of meeting with Governor Rauner.

I looked but could find no recent references to Appriss being purchased by another company. There were several reports of closing one office in Louisville and moving all the KY employees to a single brand new building in mid 2018. They do have capital venture funding with one report from 2015 of a VC buying a majority stake.

In theory one should be able to replace an entire application support/development team without many problems but I dont think I've every seen that really happen.

in mid 2018. They do have capital venture funding with one report from 2015 of a VC buying a majority.

In theory one should be able to replace an entire application support/development team without many problems but I dont think I've every seen that really happen.

I've been in software development my entire career. The next time I see replacing an entire application support team go smoothly and without major issues will be the first. :) It can be done of course, but takes time and a steep learning curve.

Thanks Molly for the updates! It's good to see Rauner's support and also ISP's recognition of our concerns. There is never a quick fix, but acknowledgment and willingness to investigate improvements is a great step.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:22 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:22 PM - No reason given

Thank you so much for this.

It should underline how important it is to keep up the support for Rauner no matter how you may feel about him and other issues. He has demonstrated that he is a supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights.

+1.

Molly B and Mr B just saying thanks does not seem to be enough. Mauser you are included too. I just can not say enough.

Wow they are slow. Asterisk is easy to setup, even easier FreePBX.

The state's IT should be able to install, setup, and maintain this for them.

A large government organization wants a system with a support contract in perpetuity, so the boxes pretty much have to come with the Cisco name on them.

The state's IT is probably a bunch of aging COBOL programmers.

Archived