What might we expect from Pritzker after he wins?

vito

There is no dumocrat in this state that is not beholden to madigan for something or other. I believe the whole state will have to implode in bankruptcy before all the libs and ding-a-lings see the light of the fallacy called liberalism.

All we can expect is for JB to restrict our rights further and further. This is a pandora's box that once opened, will be difficult to close. I can promise that if JB wins, and we see our greatest fears realized I'll laugh at conservatives for 'conserving' yet again, another victory for the Chicago machine.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things he has seriously discussed that has not been mentioned so far is instituting a "purchase tax" on both new and used firearms from either dealers or private parties that is equal to the purchase price of the firearm. In addition, a tax of $1.00 per round on all ammunition. This discussion came up privately with anti gun groups about what he might be able to accomplish given the change in the SCOTUS composition. He indicated this was an excellent idea that he was behind all the way.

$100 per box tax on .22LR ammo would quickly curtail new shooters coming out as it would for current and regular shooters. Very few trap shooters could afford $120-$140.00 per week just to shoot socially which is where the cost of shells and taxes would put it before paying for the clays.

One of the things he has seriously discussed that has not been mentioned so far is instituting a "purchase tax" on both new and used firearms from either dealers or private parties that is equal to the purchase price of the firearm. In addition, a tax of $1.00 per round on all ammunition. This discussion came up privately with anti gun groups about what he might be able to accomplish given the change in the SCOTUS composition. He indicated this was an excellent idea that he was behind all the way.

$100 per box tax on .22LR ammo would quickly curtail new shooters coming out as it would for current and regular shooters. Very few trap shooters could afford $120-$140.00 per week just to shoot socially which is where the cost of shells and taxes would put it before paying for the clays.

Which would end ownership in practice.

Birds of a feather?

This was a Blago proposal.

Just for reference... because I can't locate it... when was JB advocating these things?

Found it. This proposal was from 1998 when Pritzger was running for Congress. He came in third, Jan Schakowsky won the race. At the time, Blagojevich and father in law Mell were helping his campaign. JB assisted Blago win a seat 2 years earlier.

Blago was not able to implement his plan to disarm Illinois as Governor, even with full control of the legislature via Madigan. Quinn was not able to advance anti-gun measures under similar circumstances. In fact, we passed CC during his term, without his signature. We had help from not very gun friendly state courts.

I think much of the gloom and doom re JB/gun stance is unwarranted. I do think he will advocate for anti-gun changes... we should keep him out of office.

Still voting for Rauner.

Birds of a feather?

Just for reference... because I can't locate it... when was JB advocating these things?

JB PRITZKER’S EXTREME ANTI-GUN RECORD

Throughout his public life, Pritzker has shown a sustained hostility to gun rights, particularly regarding handguns:

When he ran for Congress in 1997, Pritzker called for a 100 percent tax on handguns and handgun ammunition, which he estimated would raise $1 billion a year. (Scott Fornek, “Pritzker, In First Political Run, Vows He Can 'Get The Job Done',” Chicago Sun-Times, 9/7/97)

In the same campaign, he even favored banning the sale of handguns entirely. (Susan Dodge, “Candidates Hit Trail To Congress,” Chicago Sun-Times, 2/22/98)

In his campaign for governor, Pritzker has been a vocal supporter of banning certain firearms and accessories.

He supports banning the sale of so-called assault weapons and high capacity magazines. (JB Pritzker Website)

Pritzker supports onerous regulations that would hurt small gun shops and law-abiding gun owners.

He supported the gun dealer licensing bill vetoed by Governor Rauner earlier this year. (Sara Burnett, "How Illinois governor candidates would address gun violence," Associated Press, 1/14/18)

He supports implementing universal background checks in Illinois. (JB Pritzker Website)

He supports the creation of gun violence protection orders in Illinois that could impair due process rights. (JB Pritzker Website)

Pritzker’s activism against Second Amendment rights earned him recognition from anti-gun groups:

In 2005, Pritzker Received The Citizen Advocacy Award From The Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. (Press Release, “Sen. Ted Kennedy To Receive Distinguished 'Lincoln Award' From Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence At Nov. 7 Awards Dinner,” Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, 11/7/2005)

Pritzker once served as Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. (“Morning Spin: Pritzker Boasts Of Poshard Backing, But They're A Political Odd Couple,” Chicago Tribune, 9/25/17)

Pritzker is a big-money funder of state and national gun control groups:

He has contributed $101,000 to gun control groups through his foundation. (IRS Form 990-PF, Pritzker Family Foundation, 2002-2009)

He gave $76,000 to the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence From 2002-2009.

He gave $25,000 to the Brady Center To Prevent Gun Violence In 2003.

Birds of a feather?

JB PRITZKER’S EXTREME ANTI-GUN RECORD

Throughout his public life, Pritzker has shown a sustained hostility to gun rights, particularly regarding handguns:

When he ran for Congress in 1997, Pritzker called for a 100 percent tax on handguns and handgun ammunition, which he estimated would raise $1 billion a year. (Scott Fornek, “Pritzker, In First Political Run, Vows He Can 'Get The Job Done',” Chicago Sun-Times, 9/7/97)

In the same campaign, he even favored banning the sale of handguns entirely. (Susan Dodge, “Candidates Hit Trail To Congress,” Chicago Sun-Times, 2/22/98)

In his campaign for governor, Pritzker has been a vocal supporter of banning certain firearms and accessories.

He supports banning the sale of so-called assault weapons and high capacity magazines. (JB Pritzker Website)

Pritzker supports onerous regulations that would hurt small gun shops and law-abiding gun owners.

He supported the gun dealer licensing bill vetoed by Governor Rauner earlier this year. (Sara Burnett, "How Illinois governor candidates would address gun violence," Associated Press, 1/14/18)

He supports implementing universal background checks in Illinois. (JB Pritzker Website)

He supports the creation of gun violence protection orders in Illinois that could impair due process rights. (JB Pritzker Website)

Pritzker’s activism against Second Amendment rights earned him recognition from anti-gun groups:

In 2005, Pritzker Received The Citizen Advocacy Award From The Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. (Press Release, “Sen. Ted Kennedy To Receive Distinguished 'Lincoln Award' From Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence At Nov. 7 Awards Dinner,” Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, 11/7/2005)

Pritzker once served as Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. (“Morning Spin: Pritzker Boasts Of Poshard Backing, But They're A Political Odd Couple,” Chicago Tribune, 9/25/17)

Pritzker is a big-money funder of state and national gun control groups:

He has contributed $101,000 to gun control groups through his foundation. (IRS Form 990-PF, Pritzker Family Foundation, 2002-2009)

He gave $76,000 to the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence From 2002-2009.

He gave $25,000 to the Brady Center To Prevent Gun Violence In 2003.

Yep... found it.

JB was under the influence of Blago.

Or the other way around.

I hate to thing of Blago as a leader in any way.

Which would end ownership in practice.

While the tax on gun purchases would be an issue, the ammo tax is a non starter. There is nothing to stop Illinois residents from buying ammo out of state. I personally haven't purchased any ammo in Illinois in 5 or 6 years. All my ammo comes from Wisconsin. All the ammo tax will do is create a black market for ammo.

Some years ago I had a coworker who lived on the north side of Chicago, didn't have a car and smoked like a chimney. I used to get him cartons of cigarettes when I went to Wisconsin so he didn't have to pay the high Chicago/Cook cigarette tax. I can see the same thing happening with ammo.

Birds of a feather?

Found it. This proposal was from 1998 when Pritzger was running for Congress. He came in third, Jan Schakowsky won the race. At the time, Blagojevich and father in law Mell were helping his campaign. JB assisted Blago win a seat 2 years earlier.

Blago was not able to implement his plan to disarm Illinois as Governor, even with full control of the legislature via Madigan. Quinn was not able to advance anti-gun measures under similar circumstances. In fact, we passed CC during his term, without his signature. We had help from not very gun friendly state courts.

I think much of the gloom and doom re JB/gun stance is unwarranted. I do think he will advocate for anti-gun changes... we should keep him out of office.

Still voting for Rauner.

We now have a whole bunch of turncoat republicans to worry about though. The republicans don't stick together like the dims do and many of them are waffling on gun control. Fat boy won't put up any road blocks like Rauner did.

Birds of a feather?

Still voting for Rauner.

All of this was discussed in a private meeting with several gun control folks less than three months ago in Chicago when Kavanaugh's pending appointment was being discussed. So, while he did deal with it years ago, he reaffirmed the strategy in that meeting.

Birds of a feather?

Still voting for Rauner.

So, apparently the Gov gets to appoint the CCLRB. Could JB potentially appoint a board that rubber-stamps every objection as a denial? If this happens, is there any potential for objections to be issued arbitrarily in practice by counties such as Cook? Looking to apply after my training next month so wondering what I could be up against and trying to (objectively) evaluate the situation.

So, apparently the Gov gets to appoint the CCLRB. Could JB potentially appoint a board that rubber-stamps every objection as a denial? If this happens, is there any potential for objections to be issued arbitrarily in practice by counties such as Cook? Looking to apply after my training next month so wondering what I could be up against and trying to (objectively) evaluate the situation.

I don't think so based on this article I'm reading from 2014.

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in... bits of the article are quoted below.

Illinois State Police Issue Emergency Rules Regarding Denials of Concealed Carry Permits

The Illinois State Police issued emergency rules last week dealing with the Concealed Carry License Review Board’s (CCLRB) denial of concealed carry permits. The new rules were created after dozens of lawsuits and more than 200 petitions for review were filed by Illinois residents whose concealed carry permits were denied with no explanation.

Under the new rules, if the CCLRB feels that an objection should be granted, it must send the applicant a notice of the objection, the agency that made the objection and the reasons for the objection, within 10 days of its preliminary decision. The applicant then has 10 days to provide the CCLRB any information he wants the board to consider in regard to law enforcement’s objection. The CCLRB may choose to hold a hearing on the objection following receipt of the additional information.

It is heartening to see the State Police respond so quickly and forcefully to the concerns raised by those who have been denied a permit and to amend the rules to require the CCLRB to notify applicants of the basis for law enforcement’s objection...

The number of days they have are worth less than the paper its written on. I wouldn't put it past them to try and rubber stamp everything. They'll just keep doing it until a judge tells them to stop, if the plaintiff can find a judge willing to do so.

Right, I've heard of people getting stuck in board review purgatory for 2+ years (really hoping that doesn't happen as the worst thing I've ever received is a traffic warning/parking ticket). I'd think that mass rubber-stamped denials would probably just result in a deja vu of what soundguy posted above though?

There is no dumocrat in this state that is not beholden to madigan for something or other. I believe the whole state will have to implode in bankruptcy before all the libs and ding-a-lings see the light of the fallacy called liberalism.

All we can expect is for JB to restrict our rights further and further. This is a pandora's box that once opened, will be difficult to close. I can promise that if JB wins, and we see our greatest fears realized I'll laugh at conservatives for 'conserving' yet again, another victory for the Chicago machine.

Where's a terrorist with a tactical nuke when you NEED one??

My condolences, guys and gals. I feel very fortunate that I was able to move my family out a month ago. We had the luxury of being able to move business aspects to Tennessee and no other family members remaining behind.

I know many of you feel tied down by family and business obligations, but I would encourage you to really really really weigh the costs of staying in ILLannoy vs the opportunities and freedom you can find elsewhere. Moving is not easy. Staying behind, given what happened tonight, may be less easy for many of you. Either way, be brave. You're a great bunch!

My condolences, guys and gals. I feel very fortunate that I was able to move my family out a month ago. We had the luxury of being able to move business aspects to Tennessee and no other family members remaining behind.

I know many of you feel tied down by family and business obligations, but I would encourage you to really really really weigh the costs of staying in ILLannoy vs the opportunities and freedom you can find elsewhere. Moving is not easy. Staying behind, given what happened tonight, may be less easy for many of you. Either way, be brave. You're a great bunch!

I have many, many, many friends here in Illinois and Wisconsin that I'd find near impossible to leave behind. Many are members of this site. I just can't imagine packing up and moving to Missouri, Tennessee or even Indiana. Wisconsin might be an alternative worth considering, but even that governor's race is gonna be a photo finish - most likely with Walker losing.

This election is most upsetting! But thanks for the condolences!

I have many, many, many friends here in Illinois and Wisconsin that I'd find near impossible to leave behind. Many are members of this site. I just can't imagine packing up and moving to Missouri, Tennessee or even Indiana. Wisconsin might be an alternative worth considering, but even that governor's race is gonna be a photo finish - most likely with Walker losing.

This election is most upsetting! But thanks for the condolences!

Wow, at this moment Scott Walker is up by 314 votes with 88% of the vote counted. And on a national basis, I think Republicans actually had a good night, especially in some key Senate and Governor races. The Dems taking the House will only give them a spectacular platform to expose their insanity. Onward we go!

To the tune of Love is Blue (number one on the charts in February 1968)

Blue, blue, my state is blue
Blue is my state, now I’m stuck with you
Gray, gray, my life is gray
Cold is my heart since hope went away
Red, red, my eyes are red
Crying for the way you mess with my head
Green, green, my moneys gone
Your new taxes came with the dawn
When you spoke about guns fear gripped my heart
Cause I knew my guns and I soon would part
Black, black, the nights I've known
Illinois's screwed, broke and alone

So Bloomberg won big in Illinois with his Moms Hate Guns group pushing hard for JB. Todds working to save the 90% of FFLs

targeted by this licensing scheme. The NRA can only do so much against a thoroughly antigun state regime. We are upagainst a group

of multi billionaires with an organization that works through a couple hundred million a year nationwide. Obviously in a state with over

2 million registered gun owners we were disheartened we couldnt muster enough energy to push back against this wave washing over us. Well just have to be as or more vocal then the Moms and hope for the best.

My wife will not leave our family to save my collection and Im not leaving with them and without her. So we stand and fight the best we can. I sell what I believe to be on the hit list and continue to enjoy shooting what left. We all have decisions to make going forward and

Im sure most will stay and deal with what comes in there own way.

I just subscribed to IC, Ive been an ISRA and NRA financial lifer for a long time. Its gonna take time and treasure to save out rights in this state. I hope we can pull it off.

Wisconsin might be an alternative worth considering, but even that governor's race is gonna be a photo finish - most likely with Walker losing.

Wow, at this moment Scott Walker is up by 314 votes with 88% of the vote counted.

Looks like Walker has lost by more than 1% of total votes cast, and cannot qualify for a recall under the new recall law he signed this year.

Gun dealer licensing likely first. Easy win for them, wipes out much of the state in terms of buying guns. To this point, the top manager of one of the very largest gun dealers in the state personally told us he has no idea how even they, a large and well-backed store, will be able to comply with the dealer licensing scheme that was rolled out a few months ago. Imagine the joy of the antis when they nail this one.

"Assault weapons" ban will be right behind. Also pretty easy, but not as easy as the dealer-elimination scheme. There might be a little kickback from the non-Chicago Dems but Madigan will quash it quickly. Nice county you got there, mister, be a shame if anything happened to it.

Magazine caps, maybe even in the same bill. Again, not too difficult in Illinois.

Remember, we, the Prairie State, were singled out by Bloomberg and the Soros groups as the model state for their agenda, and it shows. They picked Illinois for a reason.

At the moment, I don't so much see Pritzker as the problem by himself, but rather that he'll go along with the flow of stuff that Willis et al will be producing in high volume. He's pretty bad on the substance issues but not the most energetic guy, not so hands-on as some others. At least, so it appears to me.

Fine, but the hands-on people will have their hands moving at a high rate by the end of January.

Gun dealer licensing likely first. Easy win for them, wipes out much of the state in terms of buying guns. To this point, the top manager of one of the very largest gun dealers in the state personally told us he has no idea how even they, a large and well-backed store, will be able to comply with the dealer licensing scheme that was rolled out a few months ago. Imagine the joy of the antis when they nail this one.

"Assault weapons" ban will be right behind. Also pretty easy, but not as easy as the dealer-elimination scheme. There might be a little kickback from the non-Chicago Dems but Madigan will quash it quickly. Nice county you got there, mister, be a shame if anything happened to it.

Magazine caps, maybe even in the same bill. Again, not too difficult in Illinois.

Remember, we, the Prairie State, were singled out by Bloomberg and the Soros groups as the model state for their agenda, and it shows. They picked Illinois for a reason.

At the moment, I don't so much see Pritzker as the problem by himself, but rather that he'll go along with the flow of stuff that Willis et al will be producing in high volume. He's pretty bad on the substance issues but not the most energetic guy, not so hands-on as some others. At least, so it appears to me.

Fine, but the hands-on people will have their hands moving at a high rate by the end of January.

Also given this, what's the likelihood of scary bills like this coming back into play (lots of potential for abuse in this one)?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=1664&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=102163&SessionID=91

Archived