Photo

One on One Instruction--Pistol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 BCC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:59 PM

Been thinking about posting this for sometime now so here goes. I'm a decent shooter but need to get to the next level of my goals of where I'd like to be. What I'm looking for is some very good one on one instruction to promote sound/steady techniques and isolation of areas I'm lacking in. For me, group sessions for overall training are probably good for many people , but just think the benefits of one to one would identify my individual issues as well as proper techniques to correct my faults instead of guessing and non-productive practice.

So, who knows of a good quality Instructor that does individual training ?? I'm in the Frankfort area, but certainly willing to travel a bit .  Any help is appreciated..........

Glock 19

Glock 26

M&P PC Shield

I have the right to remain silent--------but NOT the ability !!!!

#2 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

I am in the Northwest suburbs, and would be happy to work with you.  Please feel free to drop me a pm if you would like to discuss.

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#3 Keith44

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

The recently opened Point Blank Gun Shop and Range in Mokena advertises individual classes:

http://shootpointbla...te-instruction/

-Keith.

NRA Life Member
..., the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. - 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

Our indoor range is just south of the Kankakee fair grounds. We give private lessons.
Check us out at
Occfirearmtraining.com

#5 RacerDave6

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

Fortress Defense in Crete
JC Marshall in Frankfort
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#6 BCC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the responses I appreciate it. Time to do some research.........

Glock 19

Glock 26

M&P PC Shield

I have the right to remain silent--------but NOT the ability !!!!

#7 cherryriver

Actual Member

• Members
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

While we do private lessons for all skill levels, I'm not sure that a private lesson is what is needed here.  One of the benefits of a group training class is being able to observe the others in the class.  Often, seeing what's being done by others can turn on a light that can get away during one-on-one.  That is something I've come to expect in almost every class over the years.
Speaking for ourselves, we have two different classes along the lines of your requirements.  They are designed for shooters with some experience, yet need some improvement ranging from adjusting to building new and needed habits that have never been acquired.  Or, not to mention, undoing self-inflicted bad habits we are all subject to getting when not working in a supervised situation, i.e., going the range by yourself all the time.
We expect the issues you describe in the incoming shooters and the instruction layers are built to work on them. 
In our case, the classes in mind are Handgun Skill Builder and Holster & Handgun Skills.  The names pretty well identify where they are aimed.

Neither are large classes: the former goes up to only 8 at R355 and 11 at GAT (with its much larger training range), and the latter only 8.  With two or more instructors, there is plenty of individual attention possible.
The big plus is that the expense is far less in a class environment, if for no other reason that that range fees are spread across several students.  In the case of more advanced holster- and speed-related training, with the kind of range where holster work is possible, that is a substantial expense.

Again, we do quite a bit of private lesson work, but it's not always the best solution.

Winter may change to summer, but the silly season goes on and on...