Trump on National Reciprocity: "If it comes across my desk I will sign it.”

mauserme

He’s pandering. Trying to save his job. Prediction, he is gone in January. the house dems pick up a few more seats but the republicans keep the senate by a hair. National reciprocity is a pipe dream unless the supremes give carry licenses the authority of drivers licenses. Most other licenses are governed at the state level. States rights is a powerful defense of that position.

Ive never voted for a democrat in my life and will support Trump now. The problem is Its just a protest vote in Illinois, its not gonna get easier for us going forward and a national carry right, that the powers to be recognize, is just a dream IMHO

Fantastic but we cannot even get rid of the useless FOID in this state.

Our stupid state doesn't recognize ANY other states concealed carry permits.

“If the Democrats get in, they are going to take your guns away,” said the president. “If you’re a woman or you’re anybody, and a criminal breaks into your home, they will still have a gun—an illegal gun—but you won’t and they’ll know it.”

He then stood up and delivered one final message: “I have great respect for Wayne. Say hello to him for me. And you tell all the members of your great organization I am totally for the Second Amendment. We’re with the Second Amendment all the way.”​

Blah, Blah, Blah he has 4 years to do something and now that he needs votes he is pandering to the 2A voters.

Which is far better then the alternative but let's be honest, he hasn't really done much for the Second Amendment.

He didn't get judges appointed for 2A rights but for his own agendas.

Some of you might not like what I wrote but that's my opinion.

Because, HE, as Potus can't really 'do anything', it takes legislative action. YOu do realize that, right?

Fantastic but we cannot even get rid of the useless FOID in this state.

Our stupid state doesn't recognize ANY other states concealed carry permits.

“If the Democrats get in, they are going to take your guns away,” said the president. “If you’re a woman or you’re anybody, and a criminal breaks into your home, they will still have a gun—an illegal gun—but you won’t and they’ll know it.”

He then stood up and delivered one final message: “I have great respect for Wayne. Say hello to him for me. And you tell all the members of your great organization I am totally for the Second Amendment. We’re with the Second Amendment all the way.”​

Blah, Blah, Blah he has 4 years to do something and now that he needs votes he is pandering to the 2A voters.

Which is far better then the alternative but let's be honest, he hasn't really done much for the Second Amendment.

He didn't get judges appointed for 2A rights but for his own agendas.

Some of you might not like what I wrote but that's my opinion.

Because, HE, as Potus can't really 'do anything', it takes legislative action. YOu do realize that, right?

He could be sending directives to the Justice Dept, which is under his sphere of influence, being under the Atty General.

Let's not forget how much the ATF uses its rule making authority.

Bunch of Never Trumpers where seating in those cozy seats, Ryan also. Where are they now...GONE.... They decide to run away and retire and not fight for the country. Trump at least takes the risk to talk about it as Mauser mentioned, not run away from it.

I heard it was passed and Mitch didn’t do **** with it.

You are correct. It passed out of the House 2017 and Mitch didn't have the 60 votes and let it sit. I thought it didn't pass out of the House. We still had a lot of Never Trumpers during this time, another reason why we lost the House.

Question concerning the last of this multi-quote quote.

Exactly why did Mitch Mc need 60 votes? I thought it was a simple majority to pass a bill....why the upper plateau?

And back towards topic.....I think it sucks a big dog that we couldn't have NR back when the "GOP controlled the House and Senate". It seemed at the time that Mitch had a case of being a eunuch where anything almost a tad controversial was concerned as far as passing bills.

JMHO

If I recall, it NR was on track until the whole Las Vegas shooting happened, then that was the end of it.

^Yes. Like it or not, but the President was thinking about getting re-elected. Suburban moms are the key, that's why the Dems are trying so hard to threaten them and imply it's really Trump who's endangering them and their kids, not BLM or Antifa or Obama's Fair Housing Rule.

Like ragsbo said, we don't need a national reciprocity law, we already have it in the 2nd Amendment. What we've needed is a SCOTUS ruling that affirms that right. With the addition of ACB, I believe we'll get that. THAT is the gift that Trump has given us. A ruling from SCOTUS will be far more durable. That's why the fight over his 3 SCOTUS appointments have been so brutal. We've gotten a BIG win here folks! Celebrate it!

Like ragsbo said, we don't need a national reciprocity law, we already have it in the 2nd Amendment. What we've needed is a SCOTUS ruling that affirms that right. With the addition of ACB, I believe we'll get that. THAT is the gift that Trump has given us. A ruling from SCOTUS will be far more durable. That's why the fight over his 3 SCOTUS appointments have been so brutal. We've gotten a BIG win here folks! Celebrate it!

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Roberts just sided with the remaining 3 "liberal" justices to allow extended voting in Pennsylvania, once again, demonstrating his "flexibility". Let's just admit we're stuck at 5:4 once ACB is on the bench. Roberts was the one the other "conservative" justices feared would let us down. Now, with ACB, they'll have a solid majority of 5 to proceed with any case that may affirm the 2nd Amendment. If Roberts decides to follow the constitution, all the better and we'll get a 6-3 ruling. Either way, 5-4 or 6-3, we have a shot at an originalist hearing.

Really like MauserMe's perspective.

Agree that Trump has no direct control over Illinois' FOID situation; but would like to say that he does have and has exercised some indirect influence by appointing second amendment friendly judges who may ultimately decree that the FOID is unconstitutional. Appointment of those judges is one of the ways in which a President can exert long term influence and Trump / Mitch have done an excellent overall job with that.

He’s pandering. Trying to save his job. Prediction, he is gone in January. the house dems pick up a few more seats but the republicans keep the senate by a hair. National reciprocity is a pipe dream unless the supremes give carry licenses the authority of drivers licenses. Most other licenses are governed at the state level. States rights is a powerful defense of that position.

Ive never voted for a democrat in my life and will support Trump now. The problem is Its just a protest vote in Illinois, its not gonna get easier for us going forward and a national carry right, that the powers to be recognize, is just a dream IMHO

Lilguy: I remember many of the same sentiments expressed many, many times on this forum about the possibility of concealed carry ever becoming legal in Illinois. I also remember being so dejected with the imminent election of Hillary that I purchased two high end A/R 15s and several dozen 30 round magazines about a month before the last presidential election. I also remember pointedly not listening to election results for some time even after my brother called to say Trump was winning and even later when my wife said he was winning. Only until later in the evening did I tune in and watch the remainder of the results. That was incredible. I'm hoping for a repeat. Ranger

i voted for our President yesterday. We can hope to catch lightning in a bottle again, but I fear not. The times they are a changing.

Every vote counts! From what I've been reading about the planned post-election disruptions by the BLM/Antifa/Permanent Resistance folks, an electoral college win won't be enough to stave off their "counter-coup". We need to prod the fence-sitters to get out and vote. It matters!

There are two election boards in this county, one for East St. Louis and one for the rest of the county. (They also have their own "health" department too.) There have been too many instances where the county's election results are done by midnight, if not sooner. Yet ESL's may not be tallied until the next afternoon. By then, they have had a chance to "dig up" (literally!) enough votes to thwart any upstart that might have been leading in the rest of the county. That's why I never vote early. I don't want to give them any more time to stuff the election.

Archived