O'Herron's

Geneseo1911

Anybody do business with O'Herron's, specifically in Danville?

I have bought stuff from them, but never firearms. Is the gun department friendly to non-LE? I am a volunteer firefighter, and I recently figured out that Glock LE dealers can give LE pricing to us, so even though making the drive to Danville twice kind of stinks, it would save me about $140. Has anyone here ever taken advantage of this? I also understand that they often have trade-ins.

They also list some ridiculous prices for used guns on their website....I assume those are department prices? Does anyone know what kind of selection and prices they have on used/non-Glock goodies?

Anybody do business with O'Herron's, specifically in Danville?

I have bought stuff from them, but never firearms. Is the gun department friendly to non-LE? I am a volunteer firefighter, and I recently figured out that Glock LE dealers can give LE pricing to us, so even though making the drive to Danville twice kind of stinks, it would save me about $140. Has anyone here ever taken advantage of this? I also understand that they often have trade-ins.

They also list some ridiculous prices for used guns on their website....I assume those are department prices? Does anyone know what kind of selection and prices they have on used/non-Glock goodies?

I have bought from O'Herrons for more than forty years (!!!!!!! I still shocls me) although recently I have been buying from the Oak Brook Terrace store.

If you are in Geneseo, the Oak Brook Terrace store may be closer. I am pretty sure they will sell Glocks to you, it is part of their distributer agreement with Glock under the First Responder program.

If you get tired on the ride there and back, I am at the halfway point. You could stop and we could consumme barley pop.

Budman you fell for my clever ruse! I'm actually much closer to Champaign. The Geneseo part of my screename comes from the side of my Springer 1911, not far from another name, "Brazil", which would have thrown people even farther off my trail! I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up at THR 7 years ago, but I've come to realize it's kinda nice to not let people zero in too closely on me. :rolleyes: Of course I've blown my cover in public now.

I appreciate the vote of confidence in O'Herron's, though. And if I ever make it up that way I may have to take you up on your offer.

Budman you fell for my clever ruse! I'm actually much closer to Champaign. The Geneseo part of my screename comes from the side of my Springer 1911, not far from another name, "Brazil", which would have thrown people even farther off my trail! I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up at THR 7 years ago, but I've come to realize it's kinda nice to not let people zero in too closely on me. tinfoilhat_101.gif Of course I've blown my cover in public now.

I appreciate the vote of confidence in O'Herron's, though. And if I ever make it up that way I may have to take you up on your offer.

Oh, that's all right. For beer, I will travel.beer1.gif

and that address in Chamapign is..................?

(I break myself up sometimes)

Not sure what you guys are talking about on the 72 hour wait because even a police officer has to wait in Illinois to buy a firearm if he is buying it himself. Yes there was a time in IL when the office could say he needed the firearm for duty today and with proper ID he walked out the door but that is not the case any more and O'Herrons or any of the salemen don't break the law when it comes to wait times. And 72 hour wait does not include the week end. Fill out paper work on Friday and it will be Wednesday before you can pick it up

The Oak Brook Terrace store moved a while ago. It's now in Lombard:

Ray O'Herron

523 E. Roosevelt Rd.

Lombard, IL 60148

Local: 1-630-629-COPS (2677)

Toll Free:

1-800-782-8674

Fax: 1-630-629-2682

chris@oherron.com

I only go there as a last resort because I've had such bad experiences with the arrogant sales staff. They had a letter posted up near the cash register at the old store a few years ago. It was from a CPD Sgt. complaining about the "clerks with guns" that were so obnoxious. He said he dealt with the scum of the earth on his job in the 15th district and he felt they gave him more respect than the clerks at O'Herron's. The kicker was they posted the letter near the cash register like they were proud of it. :)

On the other hand - you can't beat their prices for a Glock or S&W.

Well, we went over today. They did give me (as a first responder) the "officer price" as listed in their catalog. We were kind of in a hurry, so I didn't remember to ask about much about the used guns, but the salesman was very courteous and showed us whatever we wanted to look at.

I went over there looking to buy a Glock 19. I was planning on just getting a gen 4, making sure it had the current parts, and hoping it works, but as it turned out, they had a new '09 production gen3 RTF2. The RTF grip felt better to me anyway, as did the trigger, so I chose it.

I also forgot to ask about waiting period. It is simply not an issue with my regular shop, as he does it correctly. By my understanding, I should be able to get it Saturday morning, since I did the 4473 and phone check this morning, correct?

My friend, who picked out a used gen 2 22, got a "delay". He thought that he couldn't pick up the gun until 72 hours after a "proceed", but I thought that it was 72 hours from the call, so long as it isn't a "denied" before then. Who is correct?

Well, we went over today. They did give me (as a first responder) the "officer price" as listed in their catalog. We were kind of in a hurry, so I didn't remember to ask about much about the used guns, but the salesman was very courteous and showed us whatever we wanted to look at.

I went over there looking to buy a Glock 19. I was planning on just getting a gen 4, making sure it had the current parts, and hoping it works, but as it turned out, they had a new '09 production gen3 RTF2. The RTF grip felt better to me anyway, as did the trigger, so I chose it.

I also forgot to ask about waiting period. It is simply not an issue with my regular shop, as he does it correctly. By my understanding, I should be able to get it Saturday morning, since I did the 4473 and phone check this morning, correct?

My friend, who picked out a used gen 2 22, got a "delay". He thought that he couldn't pick up the gun until 72 hours after a "proceed", but I thought that it was 72 hours from the call, so long as it isn't a "denied" before then. Who is correct?

Ny Illinois law, the actual waiting period begins when the purchaser and the seller agree on a price. That is clearly written in the law. May FFLs have no idea what the law actually says and rely on what they have been told by other FFLs or from other sales personnel at the store where they work.

The 4473 has absolutrely nothing to do with the 72 hour waiting period. The 4473 is a Federal form and the 72 hour period is an Illinois law.

As always, I stress not depending on what you hear from otrher people or read on an internet forum.

So here is a link to the actual law:

720 Illinois 5/24-3

" (g) Delivers any firearm of a size which may be 3 concealed upon the person, incidental to a sale, without 4 withholding delivery of such firearm for at least 72 hours 5 after application for its purchase has been made, or 6 delivers any rifle, shotgun or other long gun, or a stun 7 gun or taser, incidental to a sale, without withholding 8 delivery of such rifle, shotgun or other long gun, or a 9 stun gun or taser for at least 24 hours after application 10 for its purchase has been made.

g), "application" means when 5 the buyer and seller reach an agreement to purchase a 6 firearm.

Good info, Bud. I've actually called ahead to an out-of-town FFL to see if they had a particular handgun in stock. They set one aside for me, took my FOID number over the phone and called it in. Three days later, I drove down to their shop, showed them my DL and FOID, and drove home with my pistol. I wish all FFLs in Illinois were as knowledgeable and helpful.

Good info, Bud. I've actually called ahead to an out-of-town FFL to see if they had a particular handgun in stock. They set one aside for me, took my FOID number over the phone and called it in. Three days later, I drove down to their shop, showed them my DL and FOID, and drove home with my pistol. I wish all FFLs in Illinois were as knowledgeable and helpful.

That's how it's supposed to work. If we gotta put up with a waiting period, it should at least be administered correctly.

Let's see, RTC, then state wide pre-emption, then waiting periods. That'll keep us busy for a while!!! Whoops, forgot NFA firearms and devices!!!

Tim

Thanks for the info Budman. I'll call them tomorrow to make sure that's their policy and that they will have someone working Saturday to let us pick up our guns.

It's a real shame we couldn't have taken them home and shot them this week with the nice, sunny, warm days. This waiting period nonsense :) . It is nothing more than a harassment designed to discourage gun buying and kill gun shows, but I'm preaching to the choir here.

I forgot to mention the highlight of the trip: I was introduced to Gross' Burgers! :thumbsup:

Ny Illinois law, the actual waiting period begins when the purchaser and the seller agree on a price. That is clearly written in the law. May FFLs have no idea what the law actually says and rely on what they have been told by other FFLs or from other sales personnel at the store where they work.

You also have to do what the ATF tells you to do after each year's audit, especially when they can't find any violations after spending 8hrs a day for 2 weeks going over 4473's each year. They can't leave without telling you to do something. Similar with county health departments too. You always get a new "rule" or told you're not doing something correctly and this is the way it needs to be done from now on even though it's not a violation.

Thanks for the info Budman. I'll call them tomorrow to make sure that's their policy and that they will have someone working Saturday to let us pick up our guns.

It's a real shame we couldn't have taken them home and shot them this week with the nice, sunny, warm days. This waiting period nonsense headbang1.gif . It is nothing more than a harassment designed to discourage gun buying and kill gun shows, but I'm preaching to the choir here.

I forgot to mention the highlight of the trip: I was introduced to Gross' Burgers! thumbsup.png

I hope it was better then the Horseshoe at D'arcy's Pint

I made the mistake of eating one and then attempting to drive the entire 100 miles home without stopping

It's a real shame we couldn't have taken them home and shot them this week with the nice, sunny, warm days. This waiting period nonsense headbang1.gif . It is nothing more than a harassment designed to discourage gun buying and kill gun shows, but I'm preaching to the choir here.

I forgot to mention the highlight of the trip: I was introduced to Gross' Burgers! thumbsup.png

I made the mistake of eating one and then attempting to drive the entire 100 miles home without stopping

Aw man - back when I actually had a real job I had to go to Springpatch to meet with some coworkers to exchange ideas on a project. they took me out as a "treat" for horseshoes at lunch. Don't EVER try to drive home form Springfield to Chicago-land after a Horseshoe!!! The memory is still painful!:)

First I would say I'm not sure you should wish all FFL's were that knowledgeable because I think that is a felony to sell a gun that way.

As for O'Herrons and Rick I can say I spoke with him on the phone and yes there are ways a police office can pick up a firearm the same day but in general if he is walking in the store just to buy a firearm for himself the 72 wait still applies to him. And it is their policy that a deal is made once the forms are filled out and called in. Then the 24 or 72 hour wait starts and that does not include the weekend. Do the paper work on Wednesday and you can pickup the pistol on Monday. Some may not like it that way but they make these rules to be sure they are on the right side of the law.

We all know we could ask 5 lawyers to read the same sentence and we would get 5 different ideas of what it said.

I'm not out to ruffle any feathers, but I called this morning and confirmed that we will be able to pick up our guns Saturday morning, as we made our deals Wednesday morning. So far I've been quite pleased with my experience and will gladly go back, assuming everything goes smoothly Saturday. Besides, it's fun to browse all the cool emergency gear, not to mention the incredible discount Glock offers.

First I would say I'm not sure you should wish all FFL's were that knowledgeable because I think that is a felony to sell a gun that way.

As for O'Herrons and Rick I can say I spoke with him on the phone and yes there are ways a police office can pick up a firearm the same day but in general if he is walking in the store just to buy a firearm for himself the 72 wait still applies to him. And it is their policy that a deal is made once the forms are filled out and called in. Then the 24 or 72 hour wait starts and that does not include the weekend. Do the paper work on Wednesday and you can pickup the pistol on Monday. Some may not like it that way but they make these rules to be sure they are on the right side of the law.

We all know we could ask 5 lawyers to read the same sentence and we would get 5 different ideas of what it said.

Did you actually READ BudMan5's post? Did you actually READ the IL statute he cited? What felony do you think was committed? As Bud said, many FFL's policies are different than what the state requires, either due to ignorance or on over-abundance of caution.

Unfortunately, we got a call back that they (O'Herron's) in fact do not count weekends. It would appear that they are not really even sure of their own policy. They also said that several people have told them they are wrong, but that they have not been able to get a straight answer out of the state, so they err to the side of caution. Pretty disappointing, but not that big of a deal compared to the money I'm saving buying there.

Unfortunately, we got a call back that they (O'Herron's) in fact do not count weekends. It would appear that they are not really even sure of their own policy. They also said that several people have told them they are wrong, but that they have not been able to get a straight answer out of the state, so they err to the side of caution. Pretty disappointing, but not that big of a deal compared to the money I'm saving buying there.

I think they are simply erring on the side of caution. It is not necessary. But the store is theirs, and the liability is theirs if they make a mistake. So they (as do many gun dealers) use an over-abundance of caution and go with policies that are actually much stricter than state law.

it is their policy that a deal is made once the forms are filled out and called in.

Call the Chicago ATF office and see what their "policy" is. They'll probably tell you what the law says is allowable, but trust me, it's not what they order dealers, especially larger ones, to do.

They have them at Abe's on Rt. 47 just south of Morris. Full and 1/2 size with your choice of meat(not sure what the authentic choice is) and regular or spicy cheese. I tried the spicy cheese before Christmas, it wasn't hot per say, but waaaaaay too spicy for my nose. Didn't stop me however.

it is their policy that a deal is made once the forms are filled out and called in.

Call the Chicago ATF office and see what their "policy" is. They'll probably tell you what the law says is allowable, but trust me, it's not what they order dealers, especially larger ones, to do.

The BATFE is a federal agency responsible for enforcing federal law. The 72 hour waiting period is in Illinois state law. The BATFE does not enforce it.

The local FFLs that I deal with do count the weekend when counting off the 72 hour waiting period. AFAIK, this waiting period was supposed to be a "cooling off" period to prevent crimes of passion. It wasn't to allow the state more time for a background check. In most all cases, the background check is immediate when the dealer calls the state. It doesn't make sense to make a law-abiding citizen wait any longer than the 72 hours required just because it falls on a weekend. Unless of course the gun shop is closed on the day the waiting period ends. Then it makes sense to pick it up the next day they are open.

Did you actually READ BudMan5's post? Did you actually READ the IL statute he cited? What felony do you think was committed? As Bud said, many FFL's policies are different than what the state requires, either due to ignorance or on over-abundance of caution.

Yes I read the post. And I said I think that is a felony because by calling in on the phone it could be anybody doing it and not the person holding the FOID card. How can the dealer prove he made a deal with the right person? Then at the point that person walks into the shop and walks out with his gun the dealer did not hold the firearm the waiting period and as such committed a felony. As I said we could ask anybody and everybody and we are going to get different ideas of what is right and wrong. If I was holding the FFL I would not risk losing that and going to jail to save a guy from driving to my store to fill out paper work. The paper work they call in you are suppose to sign before it is called in and then sign again when you pickup your firearm.

I understand why the have a waiting period and for that reason it is okay but for most of us that owner many guns it really serves no purpose.

The whole point in my post in the first place was it sounded like one person was saying Rick would help you get around the waiting period and I wanted to make sure everybody knew that was not the case. I've been a friend of his for 30 years and didn't want anybody thinking he didn't follow the laws or the rules set by his employer. I'm not trying to stir up anything or piss off anybody.

Why would someone call in my FOID number to buy the exact gun I wanted three days before I walked in the door? The FFL is going to check my ID and FOID to confirm my identity when I take possession. The BATFE Form 4473 is a federal form, the waiting period is a state law.

I understand that there is doubt in some people's minds about these laws. I don't blame an FFL for playing it safe, and I wouldn't argue with them of it was store policy. I just don't think its necessary,and I appreciate doing business with someone who knows what's what.

I wish we could get rid of these stupid laws in IL. Right after we get RTC, though. Right?

The BATFE is a federal agency responsible for enforcing federal law. The 72 hour waiting period is in Illinois state law.

They do enforce when the clock starts. That's why the bigger stores around the Chicago area don't start the clock until after an approval number or temp number is received from the ISP.

I know all this for a fact, because I had to deal with it for 8 years. After ever the ATF spent their usual 2 weeks going over 4473's and finding no violations there was a new "rule" to follow every year. Most dealt with when the clock starts and it's not when the deal is struck.

The BATFE is a federal agency responsible for enforcing federal law. The 72 hour waiting period is in Illinois state law.

They do enforce when the clock starts. That's why the bigger stores around the Chicago area don't start the clock until after an approval number or temp number is received from the ISP.

I know all this for a fact, because I had to deal with it for 8 years. After ever the ATF spent their usual 2 weeks going over 4473's and finding no violations there was a new "rule" to follow every year. Most dealt with when the clock starts and it's not when the deal is struck.

I'm sure that's the way it is/was in your experience, but that doesn't mean it's right. The statute is pretty specific and ATF really should have no jurisdiction over state law. I'm waiting on Todd to weigh in here. I believe that he had a lot to do with the present language of the law and has had conversatiomns with the ATF and others concerning it. But then, he's argued this point ad nauseum. I wouldn't blame him if he skipped one now and again. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. We'd be better off getting the waiting period ditched rather than arguing about how it should be implemented!!!

JMHO

Tim

I'm sure that's the way it is/was in your experience, but that doesn't mean it's right. The statute is pretty specific and ATF really should have no jurisdiction over state law. I'm waiting on Todd to weigh in here.

No dealer is ever gonna complain about their treatment by the ATF when they never, ever find any violation but always give/order a new "rule" to be followed after each year's intensive inspection. It's the dealer's neck/license on the line if they b**** in my opinion.

I've brought this up at 2 different ISRA meetings when Todd's taking questions. I hightly doubt if he'd ever hear a dealer complain about anything other than a generalization, so there will never be an actual problem to fix.

I'm just saying the way it is.

Well I think the ATF looks in on any of this is because the seller has an FFL and that is federal. Anything that person sells has to do with that, doesn't make a difference which state he is in.

And I'm not say just anybody would call but how is the dealer going to prove who he talked to. The law say he has to hold the firearm for the given hours after application is made to buy it and I don't think a phone call would hold up as the application to buy. Remember how some years ago all you had to do was say you spoke to the dealer a few days ago and walk out with your firearm at the gun show? Same thing with saying you got a phone call from them. Maybe it is legal and I would like to know the right answer but I think until it goes to court sometime we may never know for sure. This is why I think most FFL holders will not take the info over the phone. The way I look at calling in over the phone I would say it's illegal but that is just the way I see it. Wish we didn't have to worry about any of this because to me once I have a card that says I can own firearms I think I should be able to go buy one and walk out with it the same day. But all we can do is play the game the way the lawyers want us to play it and hope we don't get bit doing it, and hope we don't give the anti-gun nuts any thing to feed on

Archived