Concealed Carry and laser-equipped handguns - Cook county & Chicago

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

You will see a person pointing a firearm at you and you will see the diode emitting a color. That's in daylight. In a darker environment you will likely notice a dot on you. It is true that do use smoke and fog to exaggerate the beam on TV and movies. Basically if you are close enough you are going to see the guns laser diode in all but very bright conditions. If in doubt sweep that laser across their face, they'll see it. You wouldn't be pointing a firearm at them if they weren't a perceived threat so I doubt if they ran off they would run to the police or a lawyer. Even if they did you avoided having to shoot them, threat neutralized without firing a shot.

I've posted about several incidents where this has been exactly the case, over the past few years. One particularly memorable one, where the perpetrator was actually in the process of robbing some anti-firearm ingrates I had crossed paths with mere minutes before, actually defecated on himself out of fear when he saw the laser dot from my EDC on his body, and then ran off leaving an unpleasant reminder in his wake. It is a fine teaching moment.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#62 Mick G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

You will see a person pointing a firearm at you and you will see the diode emitting a color. That's in daylight. In a darker environment you will likely notice a dot on you. It is true that do use smoke and fog to exaggerate the beam on TV and movies. Basically if you are close enough you are going to see the guns laser diode in all but very bright conditions. If in doubt sweep that laser across their face, they'll see it. You wouldn't be pointing a firearm at them if they weren't a perceived threat so I doubt if they ran off they would run to the police or a lawyer. Even if they did you avoided having to shoot them, threat neutralized without firing a shot.

I've posted about several incidents where this has been exactly the case, over the past few years. One particularly memorable one, where the perpetrator was actually in the process of robbing some anti-firearm ingrates I had crossed paths with mere minutes before, actually defecated on himself out of fear when he saw the laser dot from my EDC on his body, and then ran off leaving an unpleasant reminder in his wake. It is a fine teaching moment.

That's a pretty awesome lesson taught. With winning the Powerball being very high on my list of things I would like to do, on the complete opposite end of the spectrum is having to shoot someone. I am not of the mindset of taking a life especially if it is possible to not do so. I'm all for using a laser on a firearm as a very stern warning that where that dot is on your body is where a bullet is going to follow. Anybody with a shred of common sense is hopefully going to flee immediately and it saves everybody one huge hassle plus the fact you will have to live with that you took a life for the rest of your life. The ramifications of shooting someone are a little more severe then some think. If you can scare them off with a laser then IMO that is a much better option. Afterwards the PD can just follow the poop and catch their perp. I don't suppose that the ingrates thanked you but you acted in a very responsible manner. That's better then having the same people you stopped from being robbed testifying against you in court. Simply put, lasers rock.

#63 JTHunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

Ronin - your video of the 3 colors was good.  Before I got my green one, I saw a blue at a local gunshow.  I tried all 3 colors from the same units from the same manufacturer.  Pointing the units at a painted wall at the show about 100 feet away, the green was still the most visible of the three.  I found the red and the blue to have similar sized dots at that distance but the brightness (or lack thereof) surprised me.  The red appeared to be slightly brighter than the blue but less than the green.  The paint on the wall was an "off white" color so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

Please explain what you mean about the "temperature sensitivity" of the green lasers.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#64 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

Ronin - your video of the 3 colors was good.  Before I got my green one, I saw a blue at a local gunshow.  I tried all 3 colors from the same units from the same manufacturer.  Pointing the units at a painted wall at the show about 100 feet away, the green was still the most visible of the three.  I found the red and the blue to have similar sized dots at that distance but the brightness (or lack thereof) surprised me.  The red appeared to be slightly brighter than the blue but less than the green.  The paint on the wall was an "off white" color so I don't know if that had something to do with it.
Please explain what you mean about the "temperature sensitivity" of the green lasers.

The true blue, not the violet blue ones, are almost as visible as green lasers. You may have been using one of those, which could explain the deficiency.

As for the temperature sensitivity, because of the difference in the diode and additional working parts, green lasers tend to be dimmer or fail at temperatures below 30-35°F and above 105-110°F. They are also more sensitive to fluctuations in barometric pressure changes.

On the other hand, both red and true blue lasers are much more robust, and are unaffected by much greater extremes of climate and environment. Thus, more reliable and energy efficient.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#65 Bo69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

just pull your pants down over your a** and cry harassment if stop by CPD no FOID or CCL needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users