Denied Purchasing a Firearm

Hello everyone,

I went into one of my local guns stores today and attempted to purchase a firearm. The clerk gave me the application to fill out and took my liscense and my FOID to run the background check and it came back denied. I didn't get through the application process before he ran it, I'm assuming on the ISP website, so I'm not going to get a denial letter in the mail stating obviously why I was denied. I'm not exactly sure what the next steps that I need to take are. I don't have any previous felony convictions. I've never been admitted to any sort of mental institution. For all intents and purposes I don't fit any of the criteria to be denied. My FOID card expired in February but I am reapplied for a new one and under the state law my FOID remains active. On top of that, all of the websites that I've looked into, especially the ISP website, give conflicting info on what my next steps are. Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure some of you have dealt with something like this before.

Thank you

Havent experienced it myself but maybe some background will help others narrow down and answer:

What is the status of your FOID in the ISPFSB portal?

https://www.ispfsb.com/

What status does it come back if you do a FOID check on yourself at the ISP private sales check?

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/PersonToPersonFirearmTransfer.aspx

Have you made a successful purchase in the past?

Do you have any outstanding changes like an address change or reported card lost/stolen?

Do you have an active MMJ medical card or an expired one from the past year?

They could have you mixed up with someone of a similar name, birthdate, etc that has a record.

Edited by InterestedBystander

I got DENIED on a face-to-face transaction after applying for a renewal before expiration and while my FOID was supposed to be still valid.

However the software in use the the ISP was returning denials 60 days after the printed expiration on the cards.

This situation was reported by at least one other person here on IC.

I don't consider a denial and loss of my opportunity to get a relatively rare firearm a minor issue.

When did you reapply? Before or after your expiration?

The COVID response grants everyone a few months of grace, but that didn't start until April.

Beyond that, expired is expired. You cannot renew something that's expired. You have to apply for a new one from scratch.

Does the ISP web site say anything about the status of the renewal itself yet? I don't know if an in-process renewal would interfere with a new application or not. You might have to wait for the renewal to be rejected before you can re-apply.

Ive never done a face to face transfer, can one run a FOID ck on oneself to see if your card is good?

Ive never done a face to face transfer, can one run a FOID ck on oneself to see if your card is good?

Sure, just go to ISP website and plug your info. into the transfer page. I do a few times a year, just because.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/PersonToPersonFirearmTransfer.aspx.