While looking through the topics on this forum, I noticed an interesting discussion regarding Private Sales. It came to my mind that I have questions about passing down my firearms to my heirs.
This coming August I will celebrate my 80 th birthday. I presently own about a dozen different firearms and a rather large stash of ammo. What should I do, or consider doing, to see that these items are all passed down in a way that I intend and also meet all of the legal considerations ?
Here are a few more facts.
1. My wife has a FOID card, so she would become the legal owner if I were to pass away first.
2. I have prepared a detailed listing of all the firearms, with items like date of purchase, serial numbers, pictures, what I paid, and who I purchased it from. These are all in one book.
3. I have only one grandson, who is now 26 years old, who I would like to receive all of the firearms and related items. ( He has a FOID card and has attended with me the NRA Gun Safety course )
Here are a few questions.
1. Should I put my wishes in my will ? ( I also have a Trust )
2. What type of records regarding a change of ownership must be kept and for how long ?
3. Does anyone ( ie: like the State of Illinois ) need to receive a notice of "change of ownership " ?
I would appreciate the input from members here that might help me do this properly. Answers to my questions, and perhaps a discussion on topics I haven't even thought of , would be helpful.
PS: I intend to enjoy the sport for many years ahead, but I like to plan.