Photo

What can I own?

cook county assault weapon ar15 ak47 ban blair-holt pistol rifle semi-auto magazine

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

"Don't ask, don't tell."

Sad but true -- in Crook Illinois what the law says, who said it, and what can happen (or not) is a tad vague at best --  until we get a definite law (and preeminence that 'they' actually listen to), SCOTUS guidance, or (help ya) a trial rulling, best trust in the Lord and keep your powder dry.

#32 tracker366

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

Anything that looks scary.

#33 Hazborgufen

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

"Don't ask, don't tell."

Sad but true -- in Crook Illinois what the law says, who said it, and what can happen (or not) is a tad vague at best --  until we get a definite law (and preeminence that 'they' actually listen to), SCOTUS guidance, or (help ya) a trial rulling, best trust in the Lord and keep your powder dry.

This is a reasonable stance to take, and I used to for many years. I got tired of it though and have instead educated myself as best I could so that I am confident in what I am doing. Thus I can be a vocal advocate. If everyone keeps quiet, nothing will change and the anti's will have the loudest voice. 

I no longer keep my status as a gun owner private from people. I don't volunteer it and and will maintain some discretion in a work environment of course, but I won't keep it hidden. If gun owners keep quiet about owning guns it might make you invisible privately, but it also makes you invisible politically. My hope is that by being open about my guns I am normalizing gun ownership among the people I interact with. And by having all of my ducks in a row and I am confident that I am within the law (though of course the concern is always there).

#34 mrr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

Semi-auto rifles you can own in the city/cook county that are, in my opinion, worth owning:

SKS

M1A

vz. 52 (with low-cap mags)

M1 Garand

Edited by mrr, 24 September 2017 - 09:08 AM.

Chicago, IL

FOID applied 5/23/16 | Active 6/7/16 | In-Hand 6/27/16

CCL applied w/prints 6/13/16 | QC_VERIFIED 6/22 | Approved 8/16 | Active 8/17 | In-Hand 8/25 (73 days)

#35 mblackheart

• 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Do the H&K SP5K and clones allowed as per Chicago ordinance?

#36 InterestedBystander

• 3,201 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Well, they do have "Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun" listed in their ban, but if the state has preemption regarding handguns, unsure if Chi/Cook would attempt enforcement or not.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#37 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,617 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

Well, they do have "Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun" listed in their ban, but if the state has preemption regarding handguns, unsure if Chi/Cook would attempt enforcement or not.

If you have SP5K cash, then you also have B&T cash. B&T guns aren't clones of existing firearms which keeps you off that hook. They're also pistols so should be covered by preemption. Only sticking spot is the magazine capacity and cosmetic feature aspects of the ban, but that case is pretty thin again based on preemption for handguns.

Edited by TRJ, 26 September 2017 - 09:31 AM.

#38 soylentgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

"Don't ask, don't tell."

That's always a good policy. In fact, I'd take it a step further. "Go ahead and ask, I still won't tell". Get a warrant if you think I'm doing something illegal. Having a rifle case isn't probable cause of any crime.

Yes, the patchwork of laws in this state is difficult to understand and navigate. It is possible to have no intention to break any law, but still find yourself in trouble. At least we got some clarity with the Concealed Carry Act. More clarity/uniformity would be good...but at least there's been some progress.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cook county, assault weapon, ar15, ak47, ban, blair-holt, pistol, rifle, semi-auto, magazine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users