Concealed Carry and laser-equipped handguns - Cook county & Chicago

M3brad

Lasers are in the Chicago local ordinances but not aware of anyone convicted (or charged?) with the violation.

8-20-060 Possession of a laser sight accessory, firearm silencer or muffler.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess, display for sale, sell or otherwise transfer any laser sight accessory, or a firearm silencer or muffler.

(b ) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any members of the armed forces of the United States, or the organized militia of this or any other state, or peace officers, to the extent that any such person is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess a laser sight accessory, or firearm silencer or muffler, and is acting within the scope of his duties.

(c ) Any laser sight accessory, or firearm silencer or muffler, carried, possessed, displayed or sold in violation of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized by and forfeited to the city.

(Added Coun. J. 7-2-10, p. 96234, § 4)

8-20-070 Unlawful firearm, laser sight accessory, or firearm silencer or muffler in a motor vehicle Impoundment.

(a) The owner of record of any motor vehicle that contains an assault weapon, a laser sight accessory, or a firearm silencer or muffler, shall be liable to the city for an administrative penalty of $2,000 plus any towing and storage fees applicable under Section 9-92-080. If the violation takes place within 500 feet of the boundary line of a public park or elementary or secondary school, the penalty shall be $3,000 plus towing and storage fees. Any such vehicle shall be subject to seizure and impoundment pursuant to this section.

(b ) Whenever a police officer has probable cause to believe that a vehicle is subject to seizure and impoundment pursuant to this section, the police officer shall provide for the towing of the vehicle to a facility controlled by the city or its agents. Before or at the time the vehicle is towed, the police officer shall notify any person identifying himself as the owner of the vehicle at the time of the alleged violation, of the fact of the seizure and of the vehicle owner's right to request a vehicle impoundment hearing to be conducted under Section 2-14-132 of this Code.

(c ) The provisions of Section 2-14-132 shall apply whenever a motor vehicle is seized and impounded pursuant to this section.

(Added Coun. J. 7-2-10, p. 96234, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 11-16-11, p. 14596, Art. I, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 7-17-13, p. 57262, § 1)

A lieutenant for a suburban police department basically said the same thing. His words were, "Not a word about lasers and there's a lot of words!"

How about maximum magazine capacity while I have your attention?

Thanks for your lightening quick responses!!

If you accept the fact that the legislature defines the meaning of the law it makes, and that "legislative intent" matters, then debate on SB114 of the 98th General Assembly provides some clarification. This was the first trailer bill passed on the FCCA.

During House debate, in response to questioning by Representative Sullivan intended to define legislative intent, Representative Phelps responded:

Absolutely, Representative. Any unit or local government cannot regulate how you carry a concealed firearm, where you can carry it, what type of ammunition you can carry, how much you carry, the type of sights you use, the size of the magazine. The total and complete regulation of the carrying of a firearm is the sole exclusive jurisdiction of this Body. Regardless of what the aldermen in the City of Chicago think or want, we... we did not give decision makers on this issue, we are. The state only.

A lieutenant for a suburban police department basically said the same thing. His words were, "Not a word about lasers and there's a lot of words!"

If you accept the fact that the legislature defines the meaning of the law it makes, and that "legislative intent" matters, then debate on SB114 of the 98th General Assembly provides some clarification. This was the first trailer bill passed on the FCCA.

During House debate, in response to questioning by Representative Sullivan intended to define legislative intent, Representative Phelps responded:

Absolutely, Representative. Any unit or local government cannot regulate how you carry a concealed firearm, where you can carry it, what type of ammunition you can carry, how much you carry, the type of sights you use, the size of the magazine. The total and complete regulation of the carrying of a firearm is the sole exclusive jurisdiction of this Body. Regardless of what the aldermen in the City of Chicago think or want, we... we did not give decision makers on this issue, we are. The state only.

[/quote

There ya go everyone. End of discussion. If this doesn't answer the question once and for all then it will never be answered.Thank you very much mauserme!

I doubt that Rep Phelps would have my back on this one and I'd sure hate to be the first guy to test the law in Chicago. It's sure not worth having my gun taken, car impounded and heavy fines to carry a laser equipped firearm.

I'd rather live and have a gun taken, car impounded, and pay fines. A laser doesn't change the function of a gun. For many it probably helps especially if you have only split second time to react. IMO IANAL but I can't imagine a jury would make a decision based on a red light in the event that you had to use your gun in self defense.

I doubt that Rep Phelps would have my back on this one and I'd sure hate to be the first guy to test the law in Chicago. It's sure not worth having my gun taken, car impounded and heavy fines to carry a laser equipped firearm.

From your opening post I thought you were looking for information.

I see now that your decision had already been made.

I hadn't seen that before... Pretty clear-cut. I'd seen the legislative intent behind FOID transport on CTA, but not this. Thanks for posting it.

Hi,

The real problem lurks below the surface, in multiple stages.

A street cop and his/her sergeant who are not fully up to speed on this. Someone in the line of authority regarding charging decisions who thinks the court needs to have a say, supervised by a States Attorney who is virulently anti-gun. Add in the bad luck to get a Cook County judge who may be immune to following the actual law, as sometimes -- sadly -- is the case.

Detention. Bail. Hiring an attorney. Preliminary hearings. Trial. If convicted, appeal. If exonerated, lengthy frustrating attempts to get your gun and vehicle back. And who knows what I've missed? Well maybe time, money, stress, loss of freedom?

This is the likely reality that keeps anyone from being willing to be a test case. And it also motivates folks who have laser sights to be extra cautious, I'll bet.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

just as fyi, transcript above and the question Rep Phelps was responding to starts on page 18 at: http://ilga.gov/House/transcripts/Htrans98/09800080.pdf

Sullivan: "So, recently, the City of Chicago passed an ordinance

mandating that any restaurant ban the carrying of a concealed

firearm or face the loss of their liquor license. Now,

according to what we passed, is there anything in this Bill

that changes that preemption, the intent of our General

Assembly?"

Phelps: "Representative Sullivan, the city cannot, let me say

that again, the city cannot add additional places that a

person could not carry a concealed firearm, nor place any

additional mandate or requirements on licenses. They could

not ban carrying in a restaurant, they could not mandate that

all private property post signs, and what the City of Chicago

did was backdoor attempt of banning conceal carry. The law we

passed does not allow them to do that or any other Home Rule

ordinance."

Sullivan: "So to be clear, when the City of Chicago ordinance is

challenged in court, and when the court looks to the

legislative intent that we're talking about today, it is our

intent that the carry law be prohibited the sort of regulation

that the city is attempting to force upon businesses by

threatening their licenses they get from the city as a means

of forcing those to ban conceal carry."

Phelps: "Absolutely, Representative. Any unit or local government

cannot regulate how you carry a concealed firearm, where you...

Some people don't want an answer to the question they asked. The OP doesn't know who Brandon Phelps is and the length he went to get us concealed carry in Illinois. Brandon Phelps had our backs for years and for years to come. You took the time Mauser to post the same thing you had posted numerous times before and didn't want to say to the OP that it has been covered over and over and over again. You took the time to answer in a very forthright way and respectful way. Thanks again for posting it again.

Some people don't want an answer to the question they asked. The OP doesn't know who Brandon Phelps is and the length he went to get us concealed carry in Illinois. Brandon Phelps had our backs for years and for years to come. You took the time Mauser to post the same thing you had posted numerous times before and didn't want to say to the OP that it has been covered over and over and over again. You took the time to answer in a very forthright way and respectfull way. I saw the same thing that you did from his reply that no matter what you said he had his mind made up. Thanks again for posting it again and helping us all.

I use a guide-rod laser sight in my EDC, and I will happily be the test case. I carry a laminated card with the relevant preemption statute on one side, and the legislative intent language on the other, to present along with my CCL and other documents to law enforcement if needed:

"Strictly preempts authority of local governments as to the regulation, licensing, possession, registration and transportation of handguns and handgun ammunition. Invalidates home rule communities' current restrictions such as Chicago's high capacity handgun magazine ban, handgun registration, and its prohibition on handgun laser sights and accessories."

It's right along side the cards of my current attorneys and when I can find a new Second Amendment attorney to have on retainer, I'll be nestling that right next to it as well.

Let them try to take my retired journalist and legal researcher, disabled veteran, domestic-violence-victim- and LGBTQIA-self-defense-instructing butt to court for a supposed violation. You better believe that I will be both their bad publicity and legal nightmare. I have lots of time these days, and my righteous curmudgeon quotient is astronomical.

CPS Teacher Charged With Dealing Ammo, Gun Accessories In Federal Sting http://dnain.fo/2gpZJZe

Somebody got charged for providing a lazer sight to a felon...

Read the posted article

Confused as others

Selling or buying a "Extended" magazine is against the law?

Magazines aren't regulated are they?

Ammo.....yes

Handguns.....yes

But magazines and laser sights?

It said the FBI did the sting and it's the justice department that's charging him, no?

Illegally passing along a "Extended" magazine seems to be wrong, but I'm not up on Federal laws!

I think its just inaccurate reporting. The laser and mag are discussed in the 18 page charge document but only charges seem to be gun and ammo.
As posted in the original thread, peeps are stating there are no charges concerning the lazer sight you talk about!

I haven't taken the time to read the entire 18 pages posted on that same link you provided yet tho'.

ChicagoRonin70 - first of all, thank you for your service to our country and your passion for defending your rights!

I came here hoping I would get a definitive, black & white answer on the subject, but I see there isn't one at this point. To the two "mind readers" on this thread, I was truly hoping I'd get the green light to purchase a laser-equipped handgun for my new concealed carry weapon. So, my mind was not yet made up. To say this exact subject has been discussed numerous times is not accurate.

I hate going in to 'the city.' I didn't used to -- grew up going there to see movies and museums. My Bro. was in town staying in a Loop hotel so we took the train in to see him. I decided not to carry -- which is one of the major reasons I hate going downtown. I figured I could FOID carry on the train -- and then I have to carrry a camera case alll day. And when we went to lunch every dang store and resturant (Monroe, Wabash, State area) got the stupid sign in the window. Then there is the Laser issue 'cause my LCP came with one.

I know I could have -- but what a pain. They won.

So I just carried my OTF and a switchblade.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd update you all on what I found out from a high-ranking Chicago police official. I did search the subject and if this has been discussed before, I apologize. Apparently, this is relatively new news . . .

- aggravated assault: The act of pointing a laser equipped firearm in the vicinity, but not at or on another individual

- aggravated battery: The act of pointing a laser equipped firearm at or on an another individual.

Law enforcement, according to my source, considers the laser an extension of yourself and that's where the "assault" and "battery" come in. He also said that an OEM or aftermarket laser is allowed in Chicago, but also stated if you're going to use the laser, it better be justified, therefore you better be firing the weapon. His words, not mine.

I thought I'd update you all on what I found out from a high-ranking Chicago police official. I did search the subject and if this has been discussed before, I apologize. Apparently, this is relatively new news . . .

- aggravated assault: The act of pointing a laser equipped firearm in the vicinity, but not at or on another individual

- aggravated battery: The act of pointing a laser equipped firearm at or on an another individual.

Law enforcement, according to my source, considers the laser an extension of yourself and that's where the "assault" and "battery" come in. He also said that an OEM or aftermarket laser is allowed in Chicago, but also stated if you're going to use the laser, it better be justified, therefore you better be firing the weapon. His words, not mine.

Assuming that you were asking the original question as if in the event of using the gun in self defense. The assault/battery charges are of no concern if you were in a self defense situation. If you do have a laser and it is pointed at someone, it should be just a split second later before the first round is released. Again this is a self defense situation. I'd be extremely cautious taking any advice from a "high ranking" Chicago cop. Not badmouthing the PoPo but we have seen many times that they aren't as up to date on specific laws as some here. In their eyes it is the attitude of arrest now and let the court figure it out.

He also said that an OEM or aftermarket laser is allowed in Chicago, but also stated if you're going to use the laser, it better be justified, therefore you better be firing the weapon. His words, not mine.

He says it is allowed, but, while perhaps not having been used to charge anyone, the laws are still on the books...see post #7. Is there an updated CPD memorandum/directive?

http://directives.chicagopolice.org/directives/data/a7a57bf0-14450db7-d5814-450e-8defaa3488664866.html

Archived