14 inch Mossberg Shockwave prohibited in IL?

Euler

Doing a search on Davidson's (Gallery of Guns) for a Mossberg Shockwave returns results that describe all Shockwaves with a 14-inch barrel as "Restricted" in Illinois. 14-inch Shockwaves still have an OAL over 26 inches, which is how Mossberg keeps them from being classified as AOWs.

Is there anything in ILCS that prohibits 14-inch Shockwaves? Or is there some municipality that prohibits them, so Davidson's likely just lumps all of IL into an extremely local prohibition?

The conclusion of that thread is

Second Amendment Sports in McHenry had one for sale in the case today. They certainly believe it to be legal.

GAT guns will not sell them until the Illinois State Police put it in writing that they are legal.

R-guns says they are not allowed as a title one firearm. There is no consensus yet,

you buy at your own risk.

So that seems inconclusive. No law was specified for prohibiting them, but some dealers refuse to touch them nevertheless.

If it was a shotgun with a 14” barrel, it would be illegal. However, by definition, without a stock it is not a shotgun. So it should be sold more like a handgun.

I’m not sure why GAT believed a letter from ISP in 2017 (the date of the post) would mean anything. If they wanted anything from the State with any weight as to general interpretation of the statute, that would be the Attorney General or the State’s Attorney in their County. The only thing ISP could do then is instruct its own department not to arrest someone possessing or selling it.

But I’ve never heard of anyone being arrested for them, and I’ve seen them being sold for a while now.

Point Blank sells them frequently.

As does Academy Sports, RKGuns, and any number of local independent LGS scattered across the southern (more free) part of the state....

Lol what does that bottom part mean? Except for cool pretty much everywhere is the same.

Not quite. You don’t find Cook County/Chicago mag limits, laser restrictions, AWB bans, ammo taxes and the like downstate......

Stopped by this sites favorite LGS to hammer! lol

I thought I’d ask since I was there and had a few minutes to burn.

No sir we do not handle them nor sale them as the state, feds, and ATF can’t get them sorted out.

So for the foreseeable future we will not be handling them!

Just useless information adding the never ending ShockWave mystery......

Point Blank sells them frequently.

As does Academy Sports, RKGuns, and any number of local independent LGS scattered across the southern (more free) part of the state....

Lol what does that bottom part mean? Except for cool pretty much everywhere is the same.

Not quite. You don’t find Cook County/Chicago mag limits, laser restrictions, AWB bans, ammo taxes and the like downstate......

I’m 35 miles away from chicago and have none of that and I’m not downstate.

Armchair lawyers tend to make up most of these myths. My favorite has always been about Hi-Point guns being illegal in Illinois due to the melting point.

They always cite a law from the 70's which made the first version illegal. Two versions later they are not illegal and most LGS in Illinois sell them. But I still see the myth perpetuated on the internet all the time.

Internet myths by idiots who repeat rumors will always be out there. I wonder if these people know that women and minorities are now allowed to vote, and its perfectly legal to sell alcohol now.

... My favorite has always been about Hi-Point guns being illegal in Illinois due to the melting point.

The melting point law is off-topic, but....

(A) A person commits the offense of unlawful sale or delivery of firearms when he or she knowingly does any of the following:

(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer, manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. ...

Hi Point pistols have die-cast ZAMAK slides. ZAMAK is a zinc alloy that melts at 729°F. It's not illegal for individuals to own Hi Points in IL, but it is illegal for FFLs to sell or otherwise transfer them in IL.

Meanwhile, back on topic, either Davidson's knows of a county or municipality that prohibits 14-inch Shockwaves or thinks it does. The ISP keeps a list of all municipal bans somewhere. Maybe I'll be filled with the spirit to sift through them soon.

The Shockwave, Tac-14, or Honcho are perfectly legal and IIRC each one comes with the ATF letter that states that. I have transferred multiple Mossbergs & Remingtons and have sold a few Honchos. If these were NFA items, distributors would not have sold them to FFL 01 Dealers which are most of the LGS. As most of us know, besides getting a SBR through a C&R License, IL is a non-NFA state and even 01 Dealers are not allowed to have them.

Lastly, that 800°F melting point is legitimate state law that is really not enforced. I started enforcing it because of the Gun Licensing Bill and know IL is going to go after dealers for this because its an easy violation. I have transferred I think 3, in 16 months. I just purchased a used 1911-22 from Chiappa and those are on the prohibited list as well. Chiappa sent me a letter stating that their alloy melts higher than the 800°F melting point established by state law. I am going to try and confirm that with the state police but they don't answer the phone for dealers as well.

Ernesto A Alcala-Owner

Ernie's Arms Accessories

• 3 weeks later...

.... The ISP keeps a list of all municipal bans somewhere. Maybe I'll be filled with the spirit to sift through them soon.

They do and municipalities are required to send updates within 6 mos of effective date of new laws but this obviously isnt enforced. Chicago is a prime example of this. The information posted about Chicago's gun laws is dated 2010 and many of the posted laws have been found to be unconstitutional and removed such as handguns and rifles only being allowed in the owners home, registration of firearms, the firearms permit, etc... And because of this is why those in Chicago run into such a problem with retailers not wanting to sell and/or ship ammo to Chicago gun owners.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/MunicipalOrdinances.aspx

And I truly believe not ensuring that the information is up to date is done on purpose. IIRC, ATF also publishes information on gun restrictive laws of states and municipalities. I remember reading the same old out dated information relating to Chicago gun laws there as well.

ETA: I found the ATF section and at least that is current in regards to Chicago Law. You have to click on the Illinois link and it is a large download then scroll down to page 71.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/state-laws-and-published-ordinances-firearms-33rd-edition

Archived