Witness slips, record of appearance only or Written Statement Filed? What are the benefits?

ChicagoRonin70

So, the general thing seems to be to file slips for "our side" as "Record of Appearance Only."

Why is that?

What value and requirements are needed for filing a written statement with a witness slip?

As many people on here know, I made my main living for a many years working in the writing fields, along side my more physical endeavors such as doing security and teaching self-protection. These days, I'm pretty much retired from all of that, but I am extremely gifted in communications and have a deep background in legal, technical, and scientific writing, as well as the a background of being a disabled veteran and someone who has connections to traditionally "left-leaning" demographics. I'm literally "the guy" that many female, LGBTQIA+, and other such individuals I know, or who are referred to me, who teaches those people how to protect themselves against those who would prey upon them or do them violence—which would make me a very good and exceptionally persuasive proponent for supporting the ownership, use, and preservation of the rights to keep and bear arms.

Can one just write a supporting (or opposing statement, as the case may be) for a piece of legislation and upload it as an attachment with a witness slip?

Would it be actually entered in to the record, read by anyone worthwhile, or even read aloud during the discussion of said legislation by lawmakers?

Or is it an exercise in futility and wasted effort to do so?

More succinctly, what use or uselessness is filing a written statement along with filing a witness slip in the ILGA?

You could try oral testimony, and show up at the meeting.

They may not even give you a chance to speak if there are "too many" people wanting to give testimony.

What value is there for written statements?

The common down state folk are totally dismissed by the Chicago area Democrats.

So, again, the questions I asked remain:

Can one submit a written statement along with a witness slip and if so what will be done with it?

Will it be added to the public record?

Will it be read aloud during the discussion?

I ask this also because my situation isn't conducive for me to go down from Chicago to the state capitol on any sort of basis, because I don't drive.

However, if me writing something that would actually be heard and not be a waste of my time and effort would be useful, I can certainly do that.

Will it count for anything?

Before anyone says it, I did look up the actual procedure for filing a written statement, and it appears if it is deliberately designed to be both dissuasive and ripe to be ignored.

First, unless it has changed, filing electronically is not allowed, apparently. Even though that's how the overwhelming majority of people communicate these days.

Second, it's necessary to fax or mail the written statement to the ILGA and make sure that the person chairing that committee receives it. Does this mean that it can be sent by some sort of registered and tracked mail, and require being signed for, or faxed with a confirmation, and the chairperson of the committee is required to sign for it or send some sort of acknowledgement that the written statement was received?

Third, I cannot find anywhere where that it says that indicates, as I asked above, even if I make sure that the statement is received by the committee chair, that they are obligated or required in any way to actually do anything with it?

Is there, thus, some way to make sure that a written statement is read into the record, actually heard and not just "filed" and subsequently (and most likely) ignored?

If there isn't, then it seems that the entire process is set up to allow legislators to ignore opinions, testimony, and statements from the public that they might disagree with and don't want shown that there is support or opposition for the legislation that is being put forward.

If ANYONE has a definitive answer to these questions, that would be GREATLY appreciated. I absolutely would send written statements that would be extremely persuasive against the idiocy of the anti-firearm measures that are being put forth in vomitous droves, but if that's going to be an exercise in futility, then why bother?

"it seems that the entire process is set up to allow legislators to ignore opinions, testimony, and statements from the public that they might disagree with and don't want shown that there is support or opposition for the legislation that is being put forward."

Two words … Mike Madigan

'Nuff said? Welcome to Illinois.

Faxing is an option for the House

Q. Is there a way to electronically upload documents for "Written Statements"?

A. No. You may bring hard copy documents to the committee hearing. If you are not able to attend the hearing:

Senate - you may contact the committee chairperson to find out the best way to submit material.

House - you may fax your material to the Committee Clerk's fax number: 1-217-557-2165 or mail to: Illinois State House, Room 426, 401 S. Second Street, Spfld, IL 62706

Faxing is an option for the House

Q. Is there a way to electronically upload documents for "Written Statements"?

A. No. You may bring hard copy documents to the committee hearing. If you are not able to attend the hearing:

Senate - you may contact the committee chairperson to find out the best way to submit material.

House - you may fax your material to the Committee Clerk's fax number: 1-217-557-2165 or mail to: Illinois State House, Room 426, 401 S. Second Street, Spfld, IL 62706

I am aware that it's an option to fax the material there. I wrote that specifically above.

Second, it's necessary to fax or mail the written statement to the ILGA and make sure that the person chairing that committee receives it. Does this mean that it can be sent by some sort of registered and tracked mail, and require being signed for, or faxed with a confirmation, and the chairperson of the committee is required to sign for it or send some sort of acknowledgement that the written statement was received?

However, the question STILL remains, is there any way to make certain that a written statement, whether mailed or faxed, is actually entered into the record regarding the legislation, and publicly aired during the discussion of said legislation, or is it essentially circular filed?

That no one seems to know the answer to this, despite the long involvement of IC with legislative activism regarding firearm rights, is really surprising.

Yes you did mention faxing. Brain fart on my part.

I have never seen any written testimony read at a hearing only mentioned when bringing up witness slips by the chair. My assumption was that they were published in the register/meeting minutes but Ive never tried looking those up for a committee meeting to see if true.

Yes you did mention faxing. Brain fart on my part.

I have never seen any written testimony read at a hearing only mentioned when bringing up witness slips by the chair. My assumption was that they were published in the register/meeting minutes but Ive never tried looking those up for a committee meeting to see if true.

Has anyone? And even if they are published in the register/meeting minutes, do they do any good or are they just ignored?

Archived