Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

Just curious why time and resources are wasted on pushing for a automatic knife bill ? Maybe it's just me but I would much rather be able to buy a suppressor or build a sbr without going through the c&r thing. I just think resources are much better spent on more desirable things. Just my opinion but what good is a knife when the other guy can just pull a pistol with 15 rounds in the magazine ? Edited by Jam77

Just curious why time and resources are wasted on pushing for a automatic knife bill ? Maybe it's just me but I would much rather be able to buy a suppressor or build a sbr without going through the c&r thing. I just think resources are much better spent on more desirable things. Just my opinion but what good is a knife when the other guy can just pull a pistol with 15 rounds in the magazine ?

Gotta respect the fact that different groups have different priorities.

I'm told this is being promoted by Knife Rights, a group working to repeal anti-knife laws nationwide.

Gotta respect the fact that different groups have different priorities.I'm told this is being promoted by Knife Rights, a group working to repeal anti-knife laws nationwide.

Had not heard about who was driving it but it doesnt surprise me. Ive read of other anti auto knife laws being successfully repealed or amended already this year in other states. Just like suppressors, the legislators have been watching too many movies!

Plus its not just about self defense or a less lethal option. They can be useful for those with disabilities/physical restrictions or those jobs where you need to hold something with one hand while cutting something with the other.

I see the bill has gone to the House rules committee and has a House sponsor. Does it get a new or modified number or simply stay as SB0607 while tracking it through the House process?

Edited by InterestedBystander

There is no logical reason to prohibit.

Prohibited because to dangerous. Weapons of criminals.

Or you dont need it.

Same logic used against small concealable firearms. Supressors, mmilitary style carbines. Standard capacity magazines. Sbr. Full auto .50 cal etc.

Goal should be they dont get to prohibit anyrhing because of emorion or use the You dont need it Nonsense

I don't understand why they are so hung up on passing this law. We already have spring assisted knives that open with one hand.

People wonder the same thing about us wanting so many different calibers. It's all protected.. They just want their rights back the same as we do.

Mauserme , you misunderstood my comment. I was talking about the politiicians throwing the block on this bill. I would love to have an automatic myself.

I agree with your comment about getting our rights back in all forms.

Just curious why time and resources are wasted on pushing for a automatic knife bill ? Maybe it's just me but I would much rather be able to buy a suppressor or build a sbr without going through the c&r thing. I just think resources are much better spent on more desirable things. Just my opinion but what good is a knife when the other guy can just pull a pistol with 15 rounds in the magazine ?

You asked "what good is a knife when the other guy can just pull a pistol with 15 rounds in the magazine?"

Ask a hunter that question. He needs to be carrying a proper knife to dress the deer he shot. In the Marine Corps, I was issued a rifle and a bayonet on my belt. Was that bayonet a waste of money? You are just thinking about yourself.

It's about freedom. The government should not be telling us which knives we can own or carry, any more than what firearms we can own or carry. I personally have no need for a suppressor but I've fought just as hard with my representatives for your right to have one. By the way, I don't know many gun owners that don't carry a knife every day. Like firearms, lots of people have gone to jail with felonies for carrying the "wrong" knife at the wrong place.

Here's some of the testimonials on Knife Rights website. I've been a member for many years.

https://kniferights.org/

Wayne LaPierre, Exec. VP & CEO, NRA: "Knife Rights is the Second Front in Defense of the Second Amendment. They are the premier grassroots organization protecting our right to own knives. Those who love freedom need Knife Rights, so please join me in supporting their mission.”

Sheriff David A. Clarke: "It isn’t about the size of the knife or the type of knife, it is about freedom. I support Knife Rights!"

R. Lee “The Gunny” Ermey: “I can’t think of a more fundamentally useful, basic tool in existence today than a good quality knife. I whole-heartedly endorse the work of Knife Rights and support their mission! Join Knife Rights today.”

S.E. Cupp: “Whether in town or on a hunt, a knife earns its place at my side as an essential tool. I am a knife user and proud to be one. Leave my knives alone! Knife Rights is standing up for our freedom. Join me in this fight; join Knife Rights today!”

Here's a 2016 video where Knife Rights President is interviewed. By the way. Knife Rights always has a booth at the NRA meeting and donates knives for the auctions and NRA always donates guns to Knife Rights annual drawing.

Edited by OldMarineVet

I don't understand why they are so hung up on passing this law. We already have spring assisted knives that open with one hand.

People wonder the same thing about us wanting so many different calibers. It's all protected.. They just want their rights back the same as we do.

Mauserme , you misunderstood my comment. I was talking about the politiicians throwing the block on this bill. I would love to have an automatic myself.

I agree with your comment about getting our rights back in all forms.

I did indeed. Thanks for helping me see what you meant.

My concern with this bill as written is that many cities have local ordinances that make switchblades illegal also. I don't see anything in the text of the bill that preempts local ordinances.

So even if we get this passed, it may not change things in all practicality. I can't own one in my town, or in the neighboring city I have to drive through to get to work.

-- Frank

My concern with this bill as written is that many cities have local ordinances that make switchblades illegal also. I don't see anything in the text of the bill that preempts local ordinances.

So even if we get this passed, it may not change things in all practicality. I can't own one in my town, or in the neighboring city I have to drive through to get to work.

-- Frank

Good point. Surprised something like that didn't get caught by the knife rights people, although I suppose there could have been some protest by one side during negotiation. I'd guess many of those local restrictions are mostly in the Chicago or heavily populated urban areas.

They could always propose a House amendment but then it would need to go back to the Senate again which is how the bill died last year iirc.

I would consider contacting my house rep but they are the type that would ban pop tarts because they could be eaten into the shape of a gun so I fully expect a negative vote on this bill from them.

Looked at the 2015 and 2016 versions of this bill and none of them had preemption language either

-- FrankGood point. Surprised something like that didn't get caught by the knife rights people, although I suppose there could have been some protest by one side during negotiation. I'd guess many of those local restrictions are mostly in the Chicago or heavily populated urban areas.

They could always propose a House amendment but then it would need to go back to the Senate again which is how the bill died last year iirc.

I would consider contacting my house rep but they are the type that would ban pop tarts because they could be eaten into the shape of a gun so I fully expect a negative vote on this bill from them.

Looked at the 2015 and 2016 versions of this bill and none of them had preemption language either

It could be that the knife rights folks understand that an issue like this is more palatable in small doses. You want maximum opposition? Tell Chicago they don't get to have a say in it...

Below is the first page of a search on "preemption" on Knife Rights website.

https://kniferights.org/

Knife Rights is working on preemption, state-by-state. Based on their history they seem to go for preemption after killing the switchblade ban. But I have seen some where they went for both preemption and switchblades at the same time. Not sure how they decide/balance resources regarding the priority of preemption in states.

==============================================

Knife Rights’ Vermont Knife Law Preemption Bill Introduced

Knife Rights’ Vermont Knife Law Preemption bill, H 276, has been introduced by Rep. Patrick Brennan. The bill simply adds “knives” to the existing Vermont Firearms preemption statute.

Knife Law Preemption repeals and prevents local ordinances more restrictive than state law which only serve to confuse or entrap law-abiding citizens traveling within or through the state. Preemption ensures citizens can expect consistent enforcement of state knife laws everywhere in a state

Knife Rights is rewriting knife law in America™.

… Continued

Knife Rights’ West Virginia Preemption Bill Advances – CALL/EMAIL TODAY!

Knife Rights’ West Virginia Knife Law Preemption bill, HB 2209, sponsored by Delegate Rupert Phillips, has passed the House Political Subdivisions committee on a voice vote. HB 2209 now moves to the House Judiciary Committee for another hearing.

If you live, work or travel in West Virginia, please CALL or EMAIL the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Delegate John Scott at: (304) 340-3252 or john.shott@wvhouse.gov and politely request that he “Please schedule HB 2209 for a hearing as soon as possible.”

… Continued

WV Permitless Carry incl. Knives Passed – Knife Rights’ Preemption Bill Stalled

ShareThis

March 6, 2016: Governor Tomblin’s veto of the Knife Rights supported West Virginia Permitless (Constitutional) Carry bill, HB 4145, that was vetoed by the governor was overridden by the legislature this past weekend. According to guidance provided by West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey, the new law is effective May 24, 2016. The new law allows West Virginians 21 years old and older, who are not prohibited persons, to carry a concealed “deadly weapon,” including knives, without a permit. That includes switchblades (automatics), balisongs and gravity knives.

However, knife carriers may still face local restrictions on their right to carry a knife. West Virginia’s existing preemption law protects firearms owners only.

WARNING: Persons 18 years old but less than 21 years old may obtain a license to carry a concealed handgun BUT that license DOES NOT include concealed carry of a knife or any other “dangerous weapon.” The penalties for anyone under 21 carrying a concealed knife illegally have been made far tougher. It is now a felony!

Anyone who is younger than 21 should be very careful to abide by West Virginia’s 3.5-inch concealed carry limit and the total prohibition on concealed carry of switchblades (automatics), balisongs and gravity knives.

Knife Rights will be working in West Virginia next year to try and fix this absurd change in the law that adversely impacts those under age 21.

With all the oxygen sucked out of the state capitol by HB 4145, it will be a challenge to get Knife Rights’ bipartisan West Virginia Knife Law Preemption bill, HB 4541, passed this year in the remaining days left in the session. HB 4541 would ensure that knife carriers don’t face local restrictions on their right to carry a knife under HB 4145.

Mississippi Knife Law Preemption Bill Passed House – Senate Next

Mar. 2, 2016: Knife Rights’ Mississippi Knife Law Preemption bill, HB 1294 that is sponsored by Rep. Herb Frierson has been passed by the House on a vote of 101-16. The bill now moves to the Senate for consideration.

Knife Law Preemption repeals and prevents local ordinances more restrictive than state law which only serve to confuse or entrap law-abiding citizens traveling within or through the state. Preemption ensures citizens can expect consistent enforcement of state knife laws everywhere in a state.

Knife Rights passed the nation’s first Knife Law Preemption bill in Arizona in 2010 and has since passed preemption bills in Alaska, Georgia, Kansas, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin.

ACTION ALERT: Knife Rights Maryland Knife Law Preemption Bill – CALL & EMAIL TODAY!

Mar. 2, 2016: Knife Rights’ bipartisan Maryland Knife Law Preemption bill, SB 653 has been heard by the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee. No vote was held at the time, that is the next step.

If you live, work or travel in Maryland, please CALL or EMAIL the Committee Members TODAY and ask them to please vote Yes on SB 653. That’s all you need to do, keep it simple and polite.

CONTACTS for the Judicial Proceedings Committee after the break.

Kentucky Preemption and Knife Ban Repeal Bill Introduced

January 24, 2016: Kentucky state Senator Robin Webb has introduced a Knife Law Preemption nd Knife Ban Repeal bill, S 112. This bill is the result of months of work by Knife Rights and Senator Webb and her staff. To accomplish Knife Law Preemption, the bill simply adds knives to the existing proven Kentucky firearms preemption statute.

The bill will also remove “any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife” from Kentucky’s definition of a “Deadly Weapon” which limits concealed carry to CCW holders. That phrase, “ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife,” has been, and could in the future be, subject to abuse from adverse interpretations by law enforcement, prosecutors and judges. In a 2003 appeals court decision (Stout v. Commonwealth), the judge held that a 5-inch “locked-blade” folding knife was NOT an “ordinary pocket knife,” even though the vast majority of pocket knives sold then and now have locking blades and knives with blades 5-inches and longer are not unusual.

Michigan Knife Law Preemption Bill Passes Senate – On to House

June 9, 2015: Knife Rights’ Michigan Knife Law Preemption bill, SB 305, has been passed by the Senate 27-10. It now moves over to the House for consideration, most likely not until after the Summer break.

Knife Law Preemption repeals and prevents local ordinances more restrictive than state law which only serve to confuse or entrap law-abiding citizens traveling within or through the state. Preemption ensures citizens can expect consistent enforcement of state knife laws everywhere in a state.

We will advise when it is time to contact your Representative about this bill.

Knife Rights’ Texas Knife Law Preemption Takes Effect Sept. 1

Sept. 1, 2015: Today is the effective date for Knife Rights’ signature Knife Law Preemption bill in Texas. Several Texas cities will see their restrictive knife laws voided today. The new law invalidates all municipal and county knife ordinances more restrictive than state law, creating uniform knife laws throughout the Lone Star State. The new law also ensues that Knife Rights’ repeal of the state’s ban on switchblade (automatic) knives that was passed in 2013 will now have effect throughout the state.

The two Texas cities that made Knife Rights’ “10 Worst Anti-Knife Cities in America” list for 2014, San Antonio at number four and Corpus Christi at number nine, have now been removed. Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter said, “Removing two of the nation’s worst anti-knife cities from our list in a single act is an example of what can be done when we all work together towards greater freedom in America.”

Knife Rights’ Idaho Knife Law Preemption Bill Passes Senate – Moves to House – Call & Write TODAY!

March 17, 2015: Knife Rights’ Idaho Knife Law Preemption bill, SB 1092, was passed by the Senate 25-10. SB 1092 now moves the House.

SB 1092 would repeal all existing local knife regulations and prohibit any future knife regulations, making state knife law supreme over the entire state. Our research discovered numerous local ordinances that restrict knives in Idaho, but we were especially taken aback by the prohibition on concealed carry (without a permit) of a “buck knife” in Twin Falls (Chapter 2, 6-2-1( :cool:). That’s particularly ironic given that Buck Knives is headquartered in Idaho.

If you live, work or travel in Idaho, please contact your state Representative or the Representative where you work or travel and ask them to please support SB 1092. CLICK HERE to find your Idaho Representative.

Indiana Knife Law Preemption Bill Introduced

Feb 25, 2015: Indiana Representative Peggy Mayfield has introduced Knife Rights’ Knife Law Preemption bill, HB 1635. The bill has been assigned to the House Committee on Public Policy where the Committee Chairman, Rep. Thomas Dermody (R-20), has indicated that he is not been inclined to hear the bill. Your help is needed to convince the Chairman to hear the bill.

If you live,

… Continued

It could be that the knife rights folks understand that an issue like this is more palatable in small doses. You want maximum opposition? Tell Chicago they don't get to have a say in it...

Yes, just like other issues one must sometimes start small and politics ìs a negotiation and compromise game. I think it was the Chicago group that slowed things down last time and are responsible for the FOID requirement in this version.

Hi papa ... I'm hoping the switchblade law passes ... as I've stated before, I had polio as a child and walk with forearm crutches. Yes, I have a CCL, and have gotten fairly good at drawing my weapon but hope to heck I don't ever have to pull it because I'm far from fast. Figure I might have the element of surprise walking with crutches. I plan on going down with a fight.

On the other hand, I'd probably use a switchblade knife every day, multiple times a day. I'm constantly using a knife to open packages, taking items out of blister packs or cutting grandkids presents off their packaging.

I currently carry a variety of spring-assisted knifes ... but it would be easier to open a switchblade with the single press of a button.

I'm old enough to remember the days when I had a switchblade ... and hope to own and carry another in the near future.

However, in tracking the latest progress in the house, the bill has been referred to the rules committee ... of the five representatives, three are democrats (two of them from Chicago).

So I'm hoping the bill doesn't die on the vine ... as it has done in the past.

Edited by Tod

Hi papa ... I'm hoping the switchblade law passes ... as I've stated before, I had polio as a child and walk with forearm crutches. Yes, I have a CCL, and have gotten fairly good at drawing my weapon but hope to heck I don't ever have to pull it because I'm far from fast. Figure I might have the element of surprise walking with crutches. I plan on going down with a fight.

On the other hand, I'd probably use a switchblade knife every day, multiple times a day. I'm constantly using a knife to open packages, taking items out of blister packs or cutting grandkids presents off their packaging.

I currently carry a variety of spring-assisted knifes ... but it was be easier to open a switchblade with the single press of a button.

I'm old enough to remember the days when I had a switchblade ... and hope to own and carry another in the near future.

However, in tracking the latest progress in the house, the bill has been referred to the rules committee ... of the five representatives, three are democrats (two of them from Chicago).

So I'm hoping the bill doesn't die on the vine ... as it has done in the past.

I hope you read post 75. I also want an automatic and believe in all 2A rights being restored.

• 3 weeks later...

SB0607 is moving in the House and assigned to a House Judiciary Criminal committee hearing.

Scheduled Date 5/09/2017 - 2:30 PM

Location Room 122B - Capitol Building - - Springfield, IL

Posting Date 5/03/2017 - 12:40 PM

Subject Matter Attorney General Madigan will testify on SB 189.

Witness slips have been opened.

http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/14886?HCommittees5/10/2017-page=1&HCommittees5/10/2017-orderBy=&HCommittees5/10/2017-filter=&committeeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1493862934382

*Disclaimer: This is not an illinoiscarry initiative or call to action but my attempt to share information on other bills the community may have an interest in*

Unlawful use of an elephant bill is at the same hearing! (if only I was kidding)