City of Chicago Shotgun Restrictions

peteydoug

I'm trying to find some information regarding shotgun restrictions in Chicago, I've been eyeballing this pump 12GA that uses detachable magazines (5 & 10rd). I'm trying to navigate the laws and I can't find a clear answer. The only information I found was this:

SHOTGUNS

Prohibited: a semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

• Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
  • Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; A folding, telescoping, or thumbhole stock;
  • A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or
  • An ability to accept a detachable magazine.
  • Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder is prohibited.
  • Any shotgun with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds is prohibited.

https://www.gunbuyer.com/illinois-state-restrictions

Would it be wise to assume a 12GA Pump w/detachable 10rd magazine complies? Looks like they mostly restrict semi-auto shotguns and pumps with more than 5rd fixed capacity.

Thanks for any help!

I'm trying to find some information regarding shotgun restrictions in Chicago, I've been eyeballing this pump 12GA that uses detachable magazines (5 & 10rd). I'm trying to navigate the laws and I can't find a clear answer. The only information I found was this:

SHOTGUNS

• Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; A folding, telescoping, or thumbhole stock;
  • Any shotgun with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds is prohibited.

Would it be wise to assume a 12GA Pump w/detachable 10rd magazine complies? Looks like they mostly restrict semi-auto shotguns and pumps with more than 5rd fixed capacity.

Thanks for any help!

That's funny, that's how I interpreted that, as well.

Which . . . wouldn't it be a mindlessly stupid and nonsensical thing if a magazine-fed shotgun with twice the number of rounds, and thus much more rapidly reloadable with a far greater capacity was legal, but essentially hunting shotguns with 6 rounds would be illegal?

"Assault weapons" are banned.

Municipal Code of Chicago, Chapter 8-20

8-20-010. Definitions.

"Assault weapon" means any of the following, regardless of the caliber of ammunition accepted:

(a) ...

(5) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

(A) a folding, telescoping or detachable stock;

(B) a handgun grip;

(C) a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 5 rounds;

(D) a forward grip; or

(E) a grenade, flare or rocket launcher.

(b) An "assault weapon" shall not include any firearm that:

(1) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action;

I can find no other references or restrictions regarding pump-action shotguns. Bud's Gun Shop lists the same restrictions as Gun Buyer does. I'm not sure where they're getting their info.

Nevertheless, don't try to argue with vendors. Customer service reps are not lawyers, nor do they set company policies. If they refuse to sell you something, because they're convinced it's illegal or whatever, just find another vendor. Make sure your transfer FFL is not operating under the same misinformation.

BTW, Cook County only prohibits NFA items, including short-barreled shotguns. There is no Cook County prohibition on semi-auto shotguns.

8-20-085 High capacity magazines and certain tubular magazine extensions Sale and possession prohibited Exceptions.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess, sell, offer or display for sale, or otherwise transfer any high capacity magazine or tubular magazine extension for a shotgun . This section shall not apply to corrections officers, members of the armed forces of the United States, or the organized militia of this or any other state, and peace officers, to the extent that any such person is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess a high capacity magazine or tubular magazine extension for a shotgun , and is acting within the scope of his duties, or to any person while in the manufacturing, transportation or sale of high capacity magazines or tubular magazine extension for a shotgun to people authorized to possess them under this section.

(B) Any high capacity magazine or tubular magazine extension for a shotgun carried, possessed, displayed, sold or otherwise transferred in violation of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized by and forfeited to the city.

(Added Coun. J. 7-2-10, p. 96234, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 7-17-13, p. 57262, § 1)

High capacity magazine means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of more than 15 rounds of ammunition. A high capacity magazine does not include an attached tubular device to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

SHOTGUNS

Thanks for any help!

This 4th restriction listed is, "An ability to accept a detachable magazine".

That describes the shotgun you are considering.

SHOTGUNS

Thanks for any help!

But that is under the semiauto category. The muni code reads to me (IANAL) like mags 15 or below are ok.

SHOTGUNS

Thanks for any help!

No, because a semi-auto is not a pump action. The condition is "semi-auto AND takes a dbm," not "semi-auto OR takes a dbm" (although the law itself doesn't mention dbms, anyway).

So looks like we are all still confused! ...

I would describe out-of-state gun vendors as confused, not Illinois gun owners (except those that take their understanding from out-of-state vendors).

In all fairness, the legislatures and city councils that make these laws (and frequently cops and prosecutors) don't understand them, either, so many vendors just decide they're not going to sell anything to Illinois residents (particularly Cook County residents). They have plenty of other customers to whom to provide their business. They're under no obligation to figure out Illinois laws.

The link in OP, Gunbuyer obviously has their facts wrong

The list the following for rifles in Cook County

COOK COUNTY

(excludes City of Chicago, which has its own restrictions)

RIFLES

• Semiautomatic rifles are prohibited.
  • AR or AK pattern receivers are prohibited.
  • Lever-action rifles of any caliber with a tubular feeding device are permitted.
  • Bolt-action rifles of any caliber with a fixed or detachable magazine that does not exceed 10 rounds are permitted.
  • Pump-action .22LR rifles with tubular magazines are permitted.
  • Single-shot rifles are permitted.

Well. ALL semi-auto rifles are not prohibited. It's a long list, but not all. I could see if Gunbuyer wanted to fudge in the direction of being definately no violations, and thus said 'Semiautomatic rifles are prohibited'. But they flat-out state on that page:

Information regarding State and local restrictions, laws and ordinances presented on this page is accurate to the best of our knowledge at the present time. Laws and ordinances for firearms, ammunition, and certain other items are however, subject to change, without notice to us.

So they are saying what follows is due to laws.

But even that, for shotguns, lists ALL those bullets as bullets under semi-auto shotguns. So, as I read what they believe is the case, ONLY semiauto shotguns, with a revolving cylinder, fixed mag over 5 rds, But then they list both

A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or

and

Any shotgun with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds is prohibited.

so the conclusion, is they are massively misinformed.

• 3 months later...

Archived