Moving to Illinois from SC

Hi everyone! I'm a new member, and this is my first post. I currently live in SC, which is relatively friendly to CWP-holders (though OC is banned, just like Illinois), and we have no ERPOs or mag restrictions, and certainly no FOID.

I will be moving to Illinois in a few months, and I need to get a handle on what hoops I need to jump through for legal CCL in Illinois. From what I understand so far, here's my checklist:

FOID

• I was in a hospital, voluntarily, more than 5 years ago. In my reading of the law, that means I need to find an Illinois physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner as defined in 405 ILCS 5/1-122 and get a Mental Health Certification under 430 ILCS 65/8(u)
    • I was told through a friend of a family member who lives in Illinois and is a firearms instructor and former cop that since it was more than 5 years ago I don't need to complete this step
    • However, in my reading of the law, it's still required. Can anyone clarify this for me?
  • Get an IL driver's license or state ID card
    • I have to establish residency before getting a driver's license, I believe
    • Can I get a state ID (non-driver's-license) as a non-resident? This would allow me to start the FOID process before I move and keep my SC residency longer
    • Once I establish residency, I'll then be subject to FOID laws as a resident, which means I can no longer carry in my vehicle under the non-resident exception for out of state visitors who are licensed in their home state.
    • Once I establish residency, I will also lose my SC CWP, and SC doesn't issue non-resident permits, and SC doesn't honor IL's permit, so at this point I will have no legal option to concealed carry in SC (which I will still visit periodically, after moving)
  • Head and shoulder photograph
  • $10 via CC or check

CCL

• Find an ISP-approved instructor and take the 16-hour course
    • Tried to find one in SC and I can't; are there any ISP-approved instructors outside of Illinois?
    • I can try to get this training done on a spring break trip up to IL, which is a couple months before I move
  • Head and shoulder photograph
  • Last ten years of residency
  • $150 via CC or check
  • Fingerprints are optional, according to ISP FSB, but approval may take longer. I'd rather not give fingerprints if I don't have to.

I don't want to lose the carry-in-vehicle-as-out-of-state-licensee exception until I get the CCL, with as little time in between as possible between losing my vehicle carry exception and gaining my CCL. I also don't want to lose my SC CWP until I've actually moved to IL.

Have I captured all the requirements, and am I thinking through this correctly?

Thank you!

Instructors outside IL but no instructors listed in SC.

https://ispfsb.com/Public/instructors.aspx

With the long CCL waits currently, I dont think you will see benefit of submitting prints. Save your money and be patient for 95 to 130 ish days.

New FOIDs are supposed to be issued in 30 days.

The submitted photo will not be used on card but rather they use what is on your DL.

Can I get a state ID (non-driver's-license) as a non-resident? This would allow me to start the FOID process before I move and keep my SC residency longer

I don't believe so, and even if you can it wouldn't help with the FOID as IL residency is required to apply for a FOID

It doesn't look like you will have a carry option in SC unless you still own property there and can get a non-resident permit.

I don't know if it's still that way, but at one time it was most time-efficient to apply for FOID and CCL simultaneously. If you applied separately, you had to wait for the FOID to be issued before applying for CCL, which would add 30+ days to the process. Try to get the training class in and get all ducks in a row (which you're doing) to make that possible.

ID and DL are both residency-establishing in Illinois as already posted.

Are you sure you can't live in one of the nearby states and commute???

My first choice would have been Missouri (permitless concealed and open carry, no mag cap, no ERPO, and SC honors MO resident permit), but it's too far.

Second choice would have been Indiana (CWP also allows OC, no mag cap, but does have ERPO, and SC doesn't honor IN permit), but the closest place in Indiana would still be 1 hour away from the area of IL we want to be in (moving to be closer to wife's friends & family)

With the long CCL waits currently, I dont think you will see benefit of submitting prints. Save your money and be patient for 95 to 130 ish days.

The submitted photo will not be used on card but rather they use what is on your DL.

&

You cant get an IL. ID without state residency. Once you get an IL ID or DL it voids every ID or DL in any other state. IL doesnt recognize dual state status.

So, I get Illinois ID, which removes SC residency and adds IL residency, which means it's not even legal to HAVE my guns at my home, let alone carry one, for at least the 30 days to get the FOID, is that right??

&

You cant get an IL. ID without state residency. Once you get an IL ID or DL it voids every ID or DL in any other state. IL doesnt recognize dual state status.

So, I get Illinois ID, which removes SC residency and adds IL residency, which means it's not even legal to HAVE my guns at my home, let alone carry one, for at least the 30 days to get the FOID, is that right??

There is a 60 day grace period from the time you get your IL ID before you need a FOID to possess firearms. You just won't be able to buy new ones (or carry off your property)

Also unless you are going to be in Cook County you shouldn't have to worry about mag bans either. Based on you being an hour from Indiana I imagine you'll be able to find a place without a ban (for now that is, its a perennial thing to have to fight against a proposed statewide ban)

KC&C. Tell you what. I’m moving out of Illinois in May. New Job. If you want to buy my house here in central Illinois, I’ll throw in my FOID and CCL for free! It will take you a shorter amount of time to change your identity than it will for you to receive your FOID and CCL. In all seriousness, my wife and I love Kiawah Island, and try to visit there every October. Welcome to the forum.

Not exactly...

Get an Illinois driver's license?

Drivers moving to Illinois may use their valid driver's license from their home state or country for 90 days. You may obtain an Illinois driver's license or identification card only if you are becoming a legal resident of Illinois. If you have a valid driver's license from another state or country, you may use it to drive in Illinois throughout your stay (if you do not plan to become a permanent resident of this state). Illinois does not recognize the international driver's license.

A buddy of mine from Texas lived in Chicago for more than 10 years as a Texas Resident. He bought a home, paid IL property taxes and kept his vehicle registered in Texas using his sisters address. Eventually his auto insurance company insisted he register the car in Illinois... his Texas rate was lower. He then got his IL DL, picked up a FOID and began to pay Illinois Income Tax. He has since remarried, retired and moved to central Wisconsin. He doesn't fish or hunt and is not a Packers Fan.

While I don't recommend doing what my buddy did (he really did think his Illinois stay was temporary), it looks like you have 90 days to get settled and get an IL DL, which will then make you an Illinois Resident. After that there is a 60 day grace period to get your FOID...

Move here,

take your CCL Course,

get your DL and

immediately apply for FOID and CCL at the same time.

That 60 day FOID grace period (which begins when you legally establish residency) should cover having your guns at your new home, though you will not be able to carry (even in the car) until your CCL arrives at your new home, and you will not be able to buy ammo, guns or go to a range until your FOID arrives. Plan accordingly.

Welcome to the forum, best of luck with your move, and I hope you enjoy your new home!

One option you have it before you move to Illinois, get another state's non-resident license (e.g. Florida, Utah, Arizona, etc...) so you could still carry in some other states while in the transition (e.g. once your SC license becomes invalid and while still waiting the 100+ days for your IL license.) But it won't help you in either SC (who doesn't recognize any non-res license) or in IL (who doesn't recognize any other license). And once you get an IL drivers license, you do lose the car carry option 430 ILCS 66 Sec 40(e)(2). Can't think of any way around that one. :(

Instructors outside IL but no instructors listed in SC.https://ispfsb.com/Public/instructors.aspx

&

Here is the deal. I just moved here in August of 2019. The FOID Act states that new residents are exempt from the FOID for 60 calendar days after you get your IL Drivers License. Per the Secretary of State office (equivalent to DMV in other states) you have to get a new IL drivers license within 90 days of moving to IL. As long as you are legally aloud to own a firearm, and would not be disqualified from obtaining a FOID, you are exempt from the FOID requirement for 60 calendar days after the issue date on your IL drivers license. If you have nobody to leave firearms with prior to coming here, I would highly recommend you contact an FFL close to where you are going to be living. The FFL can keep your firearms on their books until you get your FOID. OF COURSE ITS AT THE discretion of the FFL but I’m sure you can find one. If for some reason you can’t due to the hospital stay, they can send them to somebody out of state (must go to another FFL).

Now, I only mention the FFL because ISP does run behind. If they take longer than 30 days, reject your application, you will have another 30 days to wait for approval after applying again. Tack on another week for the card to come in the mail. I’d count on the FFL under contingency in the case your FOID takes longer than 60 days. My first recommendation is leave your firearms with someone you trust where you’re at. Get your FOID, and once you do, have your firearms sent. I personally would not mess with having the firearms with you and running into any issues getting the FOID issued. Just my opinion, but thought I’d share my experience as a new resident who has gotten a FOID in the last few months. Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Also, to get a IL State ID you need proof of residency. You will also be required to surrender your out of state DL which means you can’t legally drive.
Huh??? Thought you left with a surrendered out of state DL and a temporary IL one while you wait for them to mail you a new one?

Also, to get a IL State ID you need proof of residency. You will also be required to surrender your out of state DL which means you can’t legally drive.
Huh??? Thought you left with a surrendered out of state DL and a temporary IL one while you wait for them to mail you a new one?

You are correct. If you get are a new resident and you go to the SOS Office for a new DL, you will leave with a temp DL License and surrender your out of state license. You also have to surrender your out of state license before the SOS will give you a State ID. If you’re a new resident, have not switched your license over, and want an IL State ID to apply for FOID, you will still have to surrender your out of state License. This is what happened to me when I tried to get a State ID ahead of getting my DL.

Stop in Indiana and rent yourself a storage locker. Stow your weapons there and when you finally come to your senses about living in Illinois, they will be near by. My brother just moved from Illinois to Charlotte and he loves it. Personally, if an employer doesn't have the money to fly you back and forth on the weekends, and put you up in an apartment near your work, he doesn't pay well enough to ask you to move into the heck hole of Illinois. I don't know what you do or where in Illinois you will be working, but it is not worth the aggravation. The latest stats I have seen, 60% of the population moves out of Illinois every year. DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!

A former Illinois resident.

Stop in Indiana and rent yourself a storage locker. Stow your weapons there and when you finally come to your senses about living in Illinois, they will be near by. My brother just moved from Illinois to Charlotte and he loves it. Personally, if an employer doesn't have the money to fly you back and forth on the weekends, and put you up in an apartment near your work, he doesn't pay well enough to ask you to move into the heck hole of Illinois. I don't know what you do or where in Illinois you will be working, but it is not worth the aggravation. The latest stats I have seen, 60% of the population moves out of Illinois every year. DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!

A former Illinois resident.

As a new resident it is pretty terrible

I just moved from IL to Charlotte. Let me tell you you're in for a surprise with the weather. It's bad. The flip side is the roads are a lot better. As mentioned, if you can pull the commute, consider living out of state and drive in as necessary.

The roads could hardly be worse than SC :laugh:

I have a buddy who lives in SC. The road collapsed on him as he was driving. Almost totaled his car.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Archived