First Army Surplus in Lombard Closing - Sale in Progress

InterestedBystander

...and we lose another local Chicagoland surplus store

50% OFF STOREWIDE SALE - STORE CLOSING

May 24 - Jun 17

After 38 years, 1st Army Supply is closing.

It's been a great run and we thank you all for shopping with us.

50% OFF Storewide, while supplies last!!!

https://www.1starmy.com/

http://www.militarysurpluslombardil.com

Well, THAT'S a bummer.

I wouldn't have called them a true "surplus" store myself. A good chunk of what I saw in there wasn't mil spec (I think I only ever saw one real NOMEX flight suit: the rest of the flight suits they had were poly cotton and would have done absolutely no good in a flash fire). However, they did have a decent selection of military related T-Shirts, bumper stickers, and was the only place I ever saw the regimental flight suit patch for my old unit actually on a shelf to be purchased.

First the place over on Ogden, now 1st Army. As far as I know, that means that the only surplus store left in the suburbs is that place over on Highway 31 in South Elgin.

Yeah, I always felt funny going in 1st Army because they didn't have surplus, and most of what they did have was overpriced. I see a 50% off sign meaning 10% less than you could pay to get the stuff from Amazon. Still, 10% being 10%, I'll take a walk through to see if maybe there's something my size that I don't really need but have to have.

I also got eyeballed in there all the time. My short hair and donut filled belly frequently get me accused of being LEO. I wonder if that's why. Been a few years since I stopped in.

Concealed Weapons Permit Badge

Concealed Weapons Deluxe Badge , Silver Zinc Alloy With Nickel Plating and Gold

Really?!?

If you're wondering if they sell CCLs to anybody for $20, they don't (obviously). These things are just fake badges so CCL-holders can think they're cool or something being fake undercover cops. But hey, it's cheaper than buying a .32 PPK so you can pretend you're James Bond.

First the place over on Ogden, now 1st Army. As far as I know, that means that the only surplus store left in the suburbs is that place over on Highway 31 in South Elgin.

Flying Tigers is still around. 147th and Cicero in Oak Forest. Not that I like to see businesses close, but they're a better surplus store than 1st Army even if most of their stock is new production. I don't think I've seen a surplus store that actually sold mostly surplus items since Arrowhead Trading started downsizing (before closing entirely)...

Slightly off topic, but I LOVED going to Army Surplus stores when I was a kid in the 1970's. I remember a few in Chicago that actually were surplus stores, and unfortunately those don't exist anymore. There were steel pot helmets stacked up. WWII wool overcoats, Navy pea coats, cots, every kind of US and some allied military uniforms, mess kits, bayonets, etc. One shop even had a case with Nazi medals adorned with Swastikas and German and Japanese helmets for sale. But the coolest thing was a full German Generals uniform and dress hat that was displayed in one store and for sale.

Concealed Weapons Permit Badge

Concealed Weapons Deluxe Badge , Silver Zinc Alloy With Nickel Plating and Gold

Really?!?

If you're wondering if they sell CCLs to anybody for $20, they don't (obviously). These things are just fake badges so CCL-holders can think they're cool or something being fake undercover cops. But hey, it's cheaper than buying a .32 PPK so you can pretend you're James Bond.

Really really?!?!?

Oh darn....

But...notwithstanding the badge...I'm really disappointed they dont sell the ccw sash!

http://www.doodnet.com/images/ccwsash.jpg

Because flipping the badge out all the time can get tedious...

/sarc

Archived