For those who were rejected / denied and need help

Not sure how the background checks are done. A common denominator may be they see an arrest in someones history but cannot see the final dispostion of the matter regarding any legal disqualifiers. They may need the applicant to provide court documents regarding such, or in the case of a DUI, the level of intevention and classificaton in the Evaluation Report and any corresponding court orders. I don't believe the ISP is "looking" to deny anyone for arbitrary reasons but want to be sure they are not granting permits on the same basis.

Cross the T's and dot the I's.

I don't know if that is etirely true. I have been denied and have no arrests (ever) and no mental health or any other issues. Trying to figure it out is aa waste of time at this point. As Molly suggested, wait for the letter.

Molly, once they come, should we contact you or Todd, or both?

both

Received a letter today stating LE objected and sent my info to the review board siting 430 ilcs 66/20 I've had 2-3 arrests in the past 7 years. The arrest record has not changed and FL and Utah both renewed my ccl for there states year and a half ago they just wanted documentation and an explaination and they sent my renewals

I received my letter today (3/22). The reason that was given is that I pose a danger to myself or others /are a threat to public safety. I can't see how that can possibly be since I have never ever been arrested, never had the police called on me, never have had any mental health issues. I am at a total loss. The letter says I can appeal but give absolutely no information on how to do it. Todd, Molly, what is my next step? I'm not sure where to go from here? I obviously want to appeal this since I have not ever done anything for them to come up with this decision.

I also received a letter today (3/22). I show "Denied" on web site (on 3/10), HOWEVER my letter (dated 3/19) states that they received an objection from a law enforcement agency. It also states that the board shall issue a decision within 30 days of receipt of the objection. (Doesn't state when they received the objection)

Live in Winnebago County for last 6 years and years 7-10 in Chicago... No misdemeanors, No felonies... Got to ride in CPD car in 2001 (therefore the objection?)

More patiently waiting.

Submitted (1/13) with prints

Edited by mdt

• 3 weeks later...

Not to take this off track.....I have made an attempt to start a thread by framing the definitional issue associated with "danger to yourself and others" as contained in both the FOID Act and the FCCL statute. http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47773. I am hoping some of you will benefit from what I am being put through.

Applied 1/8, 2/8 Board Review, 3/10 Denied. I also received 2 letters on the same day with overlapping issues. March 19, Board received an objection and will need 30 days. March 19, second letter states objection (no reason) and that the board finds I am eligible and ISP will resume processing. Online status still shows Denied since March 10th, the date of first letter of denial based on "treatment of alcohol". Their defininiton of DUI Classes. Will mail out the Admin. Review Request if no change this week. Call Center is of no help. I thought this is a Shall Issue Law. The Sections of the Statute regarding this issue are in plain language. ISP is turning 2 or more DUI's into Zero DUI's.

I just applied last Friday and today I checked online and noticed they wanted me to review my current address. I live in oak brook terrace. And seems my dmv did not add that to my license but right zip code. I called ISP and they said they would relay that message to the proper Chanels. Noticed my foid card was correct But seems I got short changed on my dl.

Applied 1/8, 2/8 Board Review, 3/10 Denied. I also received 2 letters on the same day with overlapping issues. March 19, Board received an objection and will need 30 days. March 19, second letter states objection (no reason) and that the board finds I am eligible and ISP will resume processing. Online status still shows Denied since March 10th, the date of first letter of denial based on "treatment of alcohol". Their defininiton of DUI Classes. Will mail out the Admin. Review Request if no change this week. Call Center is of no help. I thought this is a Shall Issue Law. The Sections of the Statute regarding this issue are in plain language. ISP is turning 2 or more DUI's into Zero DUI's.

They are incorrectly defining DUI classes and victim impact classes as "court ordered treatment for alcoholism". We are working on this. In the meantime, you have 60 days from the date of the denial letter to appeal to the ISP using the form they provide on the ISP website. Be sure to include any court documents you have that show what the judge ordered.

I am an attorney on the northwest side of Chicago. I have a CCL. A client/friend came in with the attached denial from the ISP and Board with absolutely no reason other than a weak "preponderance of the evidence". Has anyone gone to the next step? Is the Cook County Circuit Court the next step?

I have a student who has filed suit if you would like to pm me - I will pass on your information to him . He may be able to help you out with the information he and his attorney have gathered thus far .

They are incorrectly defining DUI classes and victim impact classes as "court ordered treatment for alcoholism". We are working on this. In the meantime, you have 60 days from the date of the denial letter to appeal to the ISP using the form they provide on the ISP website. Be sure to include any court documents you have that show what the judge ordered.

Molly will there be any assistance for the people who are having to file suit and set precedent to get this mess staightened out ? I think if these people win their cases against the counties who are objecting - they should get some help with their attorney's fees .

Molly will there be any assistance for the people who are having to file suit and set precedent to get this mess staightened out ? I think if these people win their cases against the counties who are objecting - they should get some help with their attorney's fees .

I do not know how the Administrative Review process works. Someone mentioned they do get their fees back, some say they do not . . .

As a general rule, in order to obtain an award of legal fees, a plaintiff must do more than merely prevail. The standard varies in different venues, but essentially one has to "substantially prevail" and generally be able to prove that the position that the state agency was unreasonable based upon the underlying rules. You can assume that this is a very difficult standard to meet in this type of a situation and I would be very surprised to see an award of legal fees.

As a general rule, in order to obtain an award of legal fees, a plaintiff must do more than merely prevail. The standard varies in different venues, but essentially one has to "substantially prevail" and generally be able to prove that the position that the state agency was unreasonable based upon the underlying rules. You can assume that this is a very difficult standard to meet in this type of a situation and I would be very surprised to see an award of legal fees.

His attorney has already informed him that he cannot get attorney's fees from the state or county . I am referring to help from other organizations such as NRA , ISRA or even Illinois Carry ? The State Police has said that they do not even know why the review board enforced the objection by local law enforcement - they have seen no evidence that says he should have been denied . Setting precedent in court will hopefully force some changes to the weak points in this law .

I have a situation of my own going on where the NRA's Civil Rights Defense Fund and ISRA are picking up a portion of the legal fees. I can tell you that there is a selection and review process that each of the organizations go through wherein the usual criteria are for situations that involve the potential for cases where the potential holding could impact a large number of people....for example, the issue in my case is the voluntary mental health admit under 430 ILCS 65/8(e) where the provision is new, the application harsh, and there is a complete lack of guidance. A situation of that type has potential value for a Federal "due process" claim. There may be a situation where something within FCCL warrants that involvement, What everyone needs to realize is that the organizations have finite resources, and generally they don't provide funds to help people afford the cost of legal fees.....they do so where there is broad based value in prevailing on a specific matter.

Molly - any updates or anything you can share about the process for those denied due to the phony instructor? I've received my letter, redid the training, sent in the the items to ISP and Todd. It seems like those denied for training don't exactly fit the other denials and wondering if the process is different? Will we need to go through the whole 120 days again?

I would not think so because the law enforcement window should have closed, the background checks might be ongoing, not sure.

I am working for future arrangements to allow an option to simply go to the online application and upload the new training document - putting the applicant right back into the system.

Makes sense to me. We'll see what happens.