Truck - Trunk Gun

Jeckler

I would like to start "transporting" a long gun in my trunk. I'd like it to be available...just in case. I'm looking for suggestions on how to best transport and protect the firearm. I don't want it to slide around. I'd like it to be in the same place each and every time. I'm concerned about condensation, moisture, temperature changes, and rust. Any sugggestions on what type of case? How to prevent rust over a long period of time? How to protect the firearm while transporting?

Of course, what gun to utilize is a whole different thread...

Henry AR-7. No case needed.

* Carthago delenda est *

Kel Tec Sub 2000 using Glock magazines in either 9mm or .40S&W. Carry it in a lap top case along with a dozen 17 round magazines.

That's what I would do if I hadn't lost all my firearms in a tragic boating accident while visiting the Marianna's Trench.

* Carthago delenda est *

Kel Tec Sub 2000 using Glock magazines in either 9mm or .40S&W. Carry it in a lap top case along with a dozen 17 round magazines.

That's what I would do if I hadn't lost all my firearms in a tragic boating accident while visiting the Marianna's Trench.

Yes, it must have been tragic. With that said, hypothetically, would you leave it in the vehicle? bring it inside everynight? I like the idea of a non-descript case. I'm worried about the climate that this gun will be stored in. Temperature changes, moisture, etc...

Yes, it must have been tragic. With that said, hypothetically, would you leave it in the vehicle? bring it inside everynight? I like the idea of a non-descript case. I'm worried about the climate that this gun will be stored in. Temperature changes, moisture, etc...

My cars are all in a locked garage every night but I never leave it in the car/truck/Jeep. The Kel Tec is partially plastic so the only thing I have to worry about is the exposed metal. (I use a teflon based lubricant on the inside). On the outside of the gun, as long as i wipe it down every couple of days with a oily rag and thus far, that's worked pretty good.

This past year it ent to TX twice, AZ last Spring and the FL, PA and WI during the early summer and to the Glacier National Park in September. Sea air, very humid, very dry, temp extremes and a lot of rattling around.

Kel Tec also makes a folder in 5.56 the SU-16. I would also like to have a piston rifle from Rock River Arms because of the folding stock.

I think the ultimate truck gun would be an AK 47 with a folding stock to make it easier to conceal.

You could probably drag an Ak 47 behind the vehicle for a couple of miles and it would still fire.

When i can't afford to drive my truck (almost always anymore) I drive the wife's Nissan Altima 4door. It has one of those cargo net deals in the truck that goes from roughly tail light to tail light, I sometimes keep my AK hanging in there with the full mag in the center console next to my regular vehicle gun. I figure if I ever half to bail from the car in a SHTF situation I'll probably have my pistol in hand so when grabbing it I can get a hold of the AK mag with my free hand. Gotta love Illinois, i'd rather have it hanging off a rack above my head loaded but hey gotta be law abiding right? Kinda goes in line with the old saying "A handgun is for fighting your way to your rifle" right?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I would like to start "transporting" a long gun in my trunk. I'd like it to be available...just in case. I'm looking for suggestions on how to best transport and protect the firearm. I don't want it to slide around. I'd like it to be in the same place each and every time. I'm concerned about condensation, moisture, temperature changes, and rust. Any sugggestions on what type of case? How to prevent rust over a long period of time? How to protect the firearm while transporting?

Of course, what gun to utilize is a whole different thread...

I often just toss an uncased AK underfolder and a 4-pack of loaded mags in the back (space behind my seat). That makes the rifle and 150 rounds (including the mag in the gun). But that's just me, and that's just where I live. I don't worry about rust, etc. because I take it out and clean it often enough. If I were you, I'd consider getting one of those tactical type gun cases, into which you can put your unloaded rifle, and one that has mag pouches for magazines. "Truck" gun usually implies "not expensive and not worried about finish." The case takes care of the finish ... but if it's stolen out of your truck then you don't want to loose something valuable. Nearly any gun is going to have rustable components. I suggest you remove said gun and clean every 2-3 weeks. I guess if you are talking "trunk" you greatly diminish the likelihood of theft (as opposed to a truck cab).

My vote is an AK for a truck/trunk gun.

I would suggest a metal and composite gun, a pelican case, and maybe 2 reusable silica gel packs inside (Peli 1500D). Industrial strength velcro it down to keep it from sliding around. If you leave it in there, you won't have to worry about getting lazy or forgetting it.

* Carthago delenda est *

Next time they send that sub down there maybe they can look for them for you. :D

How to prevent rust over a long period of time?

I periodically rub a light film of The Inhibitor oil and wipe off on all my stored firearms. The ones I use regularily get wiped down after use. My skin seems to be somewhat acidic and my finger prints can cause rust. I also use their Super Plug and 12 guage plugs.

They do make sleeves and an insert for your trunk coated with the VCI gas.

If you ever wonder what the paper or the plastic bag was for when you purchase a new firearm, it's treated with VCI gas product to prevent rust.

http://www.theinhibitor.com/

Archived