Questions on the Appeal process for FOID Denial

On January 10, 2017 I was denied a FOID card due to felony convictions reported on the NCIS FBI data base. These convictions were vacated in 2015 and the charges dismissed in 2016. However, unbeknownst to me, the FBI had not updated its data base until January 27, 2017 to remove all felony convictions.

On March 3, I submitted an appeal with a copy of the Appellate Court order vacating the convictions and a certified copy of the District Court order of Nolle Prosequi which dismissed all charges.

As of today, the website reports application "Denied" with no mention of an appeal pending. I have attempted to leave phone messages, only to be informed the mail box "is full".

What is a reasonable amount of time for my appeal to be heard? Also, is there a specific phone number that would be useful to check on my appeal status? Are there any other steps I should be taking?

Thank you for help.

Yesterday, I received a same-day response to my email sent to the ISP. Here it is:

Your appeal is being reviewed. There is no time frame that can be given as
to when a decision will be made. We will notify you once the decision has
been made or if additional information is needed.
Respectfully,
Illinois State Police
Firearms Services Bureau
Concealed Carry Unit

Does it appear to be a standard response?

Are there laws or regulations that govern the amount of time the ISP has to respond to an appeal?

Thanks again.

Does it appear to be a standard response?

Are there laws or regulations that govern the amount of time the ISP has to respond to an appeal?

Thanks again.

Yes, it is a standard response and they acknowledge your appeal is being reviewed. No, there are no laws or regulations that govern the amount of time the ISP has to respond to a FOID appeal. However, we are working to change this.

In the meantime, I suggest giving them 90 days to process your appeal. If your status does not change by June 3rd, please contact me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello molly B. I have applied for the foid card appeal about two years ago but everytimes I call to check on the status on my appeal they just keep telling me the chief is still reviewing it. I don't know what else to do to get a response from the chief. I had a felony in 2007 for canibus. I followed everything they asked for. And even I'm working on getting a pardon. What should I do to have my appeal checked on.?

Hello molly B. I have applied for the foid card appeal about two years ago but everytimes I call to check on the status on my appeal they just keep telling me the chief is still reviewing it. I don't know what else to do to get a response from the chief. I had a felony in 2007 for canibus. I followed everything they asked for. And even I'm working on getting a pardon. What should I do to have my appeal checked on.?

Private message sent.

• 8 months later...

Here's hoping for Help. I was denied on my foid Application as i have a Felony (Stolen Car) from when i was 15. I am now 45 and have a spotless record since, I spend most of my free time working with Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. I trying to work on the paperwork to appeal the decision and get my rights restored. I am assuming i need to have the letters from friends and family included in what i send them? I have to admit i am not to optimistic given some of the responses i have seen out here about the lack of response from the FOID people. Any suggestions or insight would most helpful.

Here's hoping for Help. I was denied on my foid Application as i have a Felony (Stolen Car) from when i was 15. I am now 45 and have a spotless record since, I spend most of my free time working with Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. I trying to work on the paperwork to appeal the decision and get my rights restored. I am assuming i need to have the letters from friends and family included in what i send them? I have to admit i am not to optimistic given some of the responses i have seen out here about the lack of response from the FOID people. Any suggestions or insight would most helpful.

Yes, you need the letters of recommendation. We have seen more successes than we have denials but the time frame is much longer than it ever should be. Looking at 6 mos. to a year.

I sent in all the correct paperwork myself and and letters from neighbor's and family. My felonies are over twenty one years ago I hope I hear something soon too. I also have a clemency hearing in Chicago next month one of these hopefully works. It's a shame that people turn there lives around and stay out of trouble raise a family and get a collage degree and they want to fight your past.

Hello everyone this is my first post and I wanted to say thank you all and Molly, for all the info on how to appeal a denied foid application the right way, and providing links to forms and info, my application was approved today when I checker ISP website and card was sent in mail today.

Thank you all again :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the kind words - and great first post!

With no letter in the mail, i looked online today to see that I have been denied. I hit the appeal button and asked why, submitted it and now it says appeal under review, whats next

When you get the letter, it will tell you the basis for the denial and should have instructions for the appeal process appropriate for the particular denial.

• 2 months later...

Hello i sent in an appeal last Novemeber and i still havent heard a word. Its been almost a year and a half and was wondering how long does it take?? Can any one answer

Appeals average 6-12 months with some going over 2 years. Try giving the ISP firearms services bureau a call and check if they have your appeal. If they do, they will tell you that you just need to wait it out. If they said they don't have it, resubmit it.

Hello i sent in an appeal last Novemeber and i still havent heard a word. Its been almost a year and a half and was wondering how long does it take?? Can any one answer

It depends some on the type of appeal but overall appeals are taking far, far too long and we have filed numerous inquiries and complaints. Hopefully we are making progress.

Try sending an email here to inquire about the progress of your appeal and to make sure they did receive it.

askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us

• 2 months later...

Hello All -

I recently sent in all of my documents to ISP for FOID revocation appeal. (Based on felony arrest, but charges were dismissed after completing first offender probation - therefore NO conviction).

I realized after sending in all my docuements to ISP that I never surrendered my FOID card when it was initally revoked, so I headed to my local law enforcement agency and surrendered the FOID card and completed the form for them to send to ISP. There was a week between sending my documents and the local police sending out my revoked FOID card. I'm hoping this doesn't fudge up the process, I will email the askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us as I cannot get through via phone.

Any insight on this or on my chances of getting back my FOID based on my circumstance (arrest but no conviction)?

Hello All -

I recently sent in all of my documents to ISP for FOID revocation appeal. (Based on felony arrest, but charges were dismissed after completing first offender probation - therefore NO conviction).

I realized after sending in all my docuements to ISP that I never surrendered my FOID card when it was initally revoked, so I headed to my local law enforcement agency and surrendered the FOID card and completed the form for them to send to ISP. There was a week between sending my documents and the local police sending out my revoked FOID card. I'm hoping this doesn't fudge up the process, I will email the askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us as I cannot get through via phone.

Any insight on this or on my chances of getting back my FOID based on my circumstance (arrest but no conviction)?

I don't think this will affect your appeal. Chances of getting FOID back should be good from the details you have shared.

• 4 months later...

I sent my appeal on Jan 11, 2018. They confirmed they have everything needed. I emailed a senator and our past governor and they both had someone from their office reach out to the ISP. I saw the email response they received and it is the same response I get.

Your appeal is in line to be reviewed. There is no time frame that can be given as
to when a decision will be made. We will notify you once the decision has
been made or if additional information is needed.

UGH